When is the Scrimmage vs E'ville

HoosierPal

1 hour ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Fairly certain it's this Saturday.

Thanks Dave.  I looked up the MO Valley Predictions, and the Purple Aces are predicted to finish 9th.  So it looks like a good fit, 9th v 14th.

I didn't know you were my neighbor.  I thought his name was John.

Opinions generated from observing from one practice.    Small sample size disclaimer clearly applies.

• Practice was long, yet crisp and incredibly organized. No wasted time whatsoever.  Had hip-hop blaring on the sound system for a good portion (which I'm guessing was NOT a staple of RM or JC practices). It was all Coach Ford. Hands-on and energetic. Teaching continuously. Encouragement and ass-chewings doled out in equal measure.  The treadmill noted in the P-D article earlier in the week was utilized a number of times.
  • Coach clearly wants to implement an up-tempo style for the program.  Makes sense for the long-term and selling recruits.  Didn't look to me like this year's squad is gonna be very good at it.
  • Offense  seemed frighteningly jump-shot dependent.
  • Roby stood out as a leader among the players.
  • Of those eligible to play this year, I was most intrigued by Neufeld, Welmer, and Johnson.  The latter two stayed after practice and put up at least 50 3s apiece, making an impressive %.
  • Transfers are all clear upgrades. Bess does seem like a bit of a tweener, but had more outside game than I was led to believe.  Henriquez did not shoot the ball all that well during this practice, but the talent and athleticism were apparent.  Foreman looks the part but seemed very disinterested on this day.  Certainly understandable when there is no PT on the line until next season.
  • I have a very clear opinion as to who the next player to move on and free up a scholarship will be. 
  • After a very long practice, 4-5 players took the time to introduce themselves to those who were there watching and thank us for being there.  I'm assuming that was "coached," but it was an impressive gesture either way.
  • If I was a recruit watching this practice I would be a firm believer in any promises being made to me about plenty of early PT being there for the taking.
  • Got to meet DoctorB.  Super-friendly guy.  He has been and will be a much more consistent observer than I, so hopefully he can refute and/or confirm my opinions and keep the updates coming.

23 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:
  • I have a very clear opinion as to who the next player to move on and free up a scholarship will be. 

Inquiring minds....

Re: jump-shot dependency - Crews' roster was built for a half-court offense and points generated from jump shooting. Not that he had the perimeter talent to pull it off, but still. You could kind of see what he was going for; it's just that a lot of guys didn't pan out and the rest didn't have the talent level to win with it. It's going to be an uncomfortable season.

I think Bess' value will be more apparent during games themselves. He's made for transition.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Inquiring minds....

I guess we shouldn't throw out names without any idea so I am going to do just that, based on his post the one guy not mentioned and who I have not heard Coach Ford speak of (have heard him mention he wants Bishop to aim for an all conference team and that he speaks very highly of the work ethic and how coachable the two freshman are) I will guess Austin Gillmann. I assume one of Gillmann or Neufeld won't be around a year from now.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Inquiring minds....

We can guess, can't we, because I trust Neighbor Dave won't reveal his opinion.

Eliminate the 3 transfers and 2 seniors

Neighbor Dave mentions Roby as a leader, and was impressed with Neufeld, Welmer and Johnson.

That leaves Moore and Bishop and Gillmann.  Pure guess, but I doubt Gillmann leaves with only one year left, unless he graduates early.  In one of the PD articles he stated that he enjoys being close to home.

This is Dave's opinion, not Coach Ford's opinion.

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That leaves Moore and Bishop and Gillmann.  Pure guess, but I doubt Gillmann leaves with only one year left, unless he graduates early.  In one of the PD articles he stated that he enjoys being close to home.

I agree with all of this.  Also...although a bit undersized, I liked what I saw of Bishop last season and feel like the roster lacks options with his skill set.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is Dave's opinion, not Coach Ford's opinion.

^This. 

2 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

I agree with all of this.  Also...although a bit undersized, I liked what I saw of Bishop last season and feel like the roster lacks options with his skill set.

^This. 

So much for the mystery.  You have pretty much circled, italicized and placed in bold type one remaining name.  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So much for the mystery.  You have pretty much circled, italicized and placed in bold type one remaining name.  :rolleyes:

He must be a politician or an attorney, I certainly appreciate his response! Kind of surprises me based on a few quotes from Coach Ford, but not as much so when I look at future rosters. At least we are close to having actual games to break down in the near future (a season which will be odd to watch since we expect to take a lot of losses, but reinforcements on the way).

Just now, hsmith19 said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I hope he has two good years.

I think we are agreeing with each other here :) I'd rather see him move on if he isn't even going to play, but I'd also like to see him become a good contributor. One thing I'd hate would be to have a scholarship wasted for two years sitting on the end of the bench during his junior and senior year. 

1 hour ago, Neighbor Dave said:

• Coach clearly wants to implement an up-tempo style for the program.
  • Offense  seemed frighteningly jump-shot dependent.

I'm curious as to how these are both true - are you saying that the half-court sets were jumper heavy? Also, does "jump-shot dependent" mean three-pointers or long-twos?

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Gillmann's not going anywhere unless he is "run off."

I have been to several practices and was at two events this week with Coach Ford and fairly large groups. At both events Coach said that Gillman was working hard and improving and playing tougher--not as tough as he ultimately needs to play but tougher than when practice started. I have seen Bishop play well in practice, as well as Johnson and Roby. the finger injury will slow down Johnson for a while. the guy I am most worried about is Crawford--he is not even close to 100% and he has not gone hard in practice for many weeks

11 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Good to hear on Gillmann. He definitely looks bigger and stronger this year. As for Crawford, if he isn't full strength, this team is going to be really really bad.

-gives someone a chance to get minutes they otherwise wouldn't

4 hours ago, Zink said:

I'm curious as to how these are both true - are you saying that the half-court sets were jumper heavy? Also, does "jump-shot dependent" mean three-pointers or long-twos?

It did feel counter-intuitive, which is why it stood out to me as an observation. Even when pushing the pace up and down the court, very few possessions were ending at the rim or even in the paint.  Just seemed like way too often the end result was a jumper (both longer 2s and 3s).