Willie Reed - Impressive Heat Debut

philliken

I hate to say this but SLU has, among other graduate programs, a School of Law where lawyers are trained into the profession. The legal training they receive has very little if anything to do with the values provided by a Jesuit education. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

I hate to say this but SLU has, among other graduate programs, a School of Law where lawyers are trained into the profession. The legal training they receive has very little if anything to do with the values provided by a Jesuit education. 

What makes you think the law school is any less Jesuit than the other programs? The training wasn't explicitly religious, but the focus on public service and justice for the underrepresented absolutely reflected Jesuit values. I don't know anything about the med school, but I would be surprised to hear you found it otherwise.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

What makes you think the law school is any less Jesuit than the other programs? The training wasn't explicitly religious, but the focus on public service and justice for the underrepresented absolutely reflected Jesuit values. I don't know anything about the med school, but I would be surprised to hear you found it otherwise.

I do not deny that they give ethics classes and a thin patina of Jesuit values or try to do so, however compared with the rest of the curriculum the impact of these is minimal (I am talking about my daughter's experience at SLU Law school 10 years ago). The same goes for med school (late 60's Georgetown, also Jesuit). By the way how many Jesuits did you have in the faculty at the law school when you attended? Many years ago we did not have a single one in the faculty at the med school (again Georgetown, Jesuit of course). I have no idea if my daughter had a Jesuit in the SLU Law School faculty when she was in (about 10 years ago), she never talked about any priests in the faculty while she was a law student.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not deny that they give ethics classes and a thin patina of Jesuit values or try to do so, however compared with the rest of the curriculum the impact of these is minimal (I am talking about my daughter's experience at SLU Law school 10 years ago). The same goes for med school (late 60's Georgetown, also Jesuit). By the way how many Jesuits did you have in the faculty at the law school when you attended? Many years ago we did not have a single one in the faculty at the med school (again Georgetown, Jesuit of course). I have no idea if my daughter had a Jesuit in the SLU Law School faculty when she was in (about 10 years ago), she never talked about any priests in the faculty while she was a law student.

There are very few actual priests who teach in any of the programs. We even have a lay President now, after all. I was involved with the University-wide student government, and that was the only time I interacted with actual Jesuits and Jesuits-in-training. But I still felt like I was going to a Jesuit school, and that was one of the reasons I chose SLU to begin with.

If your daughter was in law school 10 years ago, we were probably classmates. For what it's worth, I did think the master's program in urban planning was more Jesuit-centric than the law school, but both programs made an effort to remind you what kind of University you were in.

• 1 month later...

Reed to turn down a preliminary three-year, $15 million deal by the Miami Heat early in the free-agency juncture with the promise of a larger market opening up for his services.

That never occurred.

Reed terminated his contract with Miller on the evening of July 11, sources say. Sources say Dawkins represented Reed and others well after he was believed to have been fired from the company over two months ago for racking up $42,000 in Uber charges on an unnamed NBA player's credit card.

Quite the offseason...

-Purchase Bentley

-VOID $1.6M contract playing for team in state with no income tax

-Reject 3yr $15M deal playing for team in state with no income tax

-Fire agent

-Sign $1.5M 1yr deal playing for team in state with highest income tax

-Get arrested for domestic violence incident

13 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Quite the offseason...

-Purchase Bentley

-VOID $1.6M contract playing for team in state with no income tax

-Reject 3yr $15M deal playing for team in state with no income tax

-Fire agent

-Sign $1.5M 1yr deal playing for team in state with highest income tax

-Get arrested for domestic violence incident

"Agent" 

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don't normally say this, but I am glad WR is going after this guy.  What a horrible situation.

Yeah, I agree. Willie acted on bad advice...from a guy who turned out to be unlicensed. Whoops. I'd say that agency should be on the hook for the cost of taking that bad advice. That's a $13.5 million swing. He has a good case here.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Jesus where do you go in an Uber for $42,000? How much does an uber from LA to New York cost? 

Uber offers all different kinds of services.  They have their own Grub Hub in some places and they have offered on demand helicopter service in the past.

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I agree. Willie acted on bad advice...from a guy who turned out to be unlicensed. Whoops. I'd say that agency should be on the hook for the cost of taking that bad advice. That's a $13.5 million swing. He has a good case here.

Only a few problems I can see...

-Since when does Willie have people giving him good advice?

-He's already embroiled in one legal battle that threatens his future in the NBA, and presumably a divorce/custody fight, he probably doesn't have the bandwidth or bankroll to fight another legal battle on another front - even if it would/could solve his finacial problems

-Even if he did go for it, there's no guarantee his lawyer wouldn't F it up

-Even if he did win, he's probably in line behind a bunch of other defrauded parties and may never see a dime anyway

Willie needs to just focus on not getting into any more trouble, develop a role on his new team, and get a multi-year extension next summer.

• 3 weeks later...