Willie Reed - Impressive Heat Debut

philliken

On 5/1/2017 at 7:32 PM, majerus mojo said:

Seriously, Willie will get at the absolute minimum $10M guaranteed on a two-year deal this summer, and more likely what you suggest above

And never count another man's money 

Maybe he should have held off on the Bentley until after he signed...

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll point out that LA has an even higher cost of living than Miami, and while Florida famously has no state income tax...

"California has among the highest taxes in the nation. Its base sales tax rate of 7.5% is higher than that of any other state, and its top marginal income tax rate of 13.3% is the highest state income tax rate in the country."

He'll owe $174K* in state income tax playing for the Clippers that he wouldn't have had to pay if he were still on the Heat, making ~$1.5M

*or approximately 1 Bentley

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

And I'll point out that LA has an even higher cost of living than Miami, and while Florida famously has no state income tax...

"California has among the highest taxes in the nation. Its base sales tax rate of 7.5% is higher than that of any other state, and its top marginal income tax rate of 13.3% is the highest state income tax rate in the country."

He'll owe $174K in state income tax playing for the Clippers that he wouldn't have had to pay if he were still on the Heat, making ~$1.5M

MTG.... Mr. That Guy

#goduffmango

5 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Wasn't he set to make at least that (if not more)  had he not opted out and stayed in Miami? 

I believe this has a lot to do with the NBA salary cap structure.  I could be botching this horribly, but my understanding is that the cap is based on how much revenue the NBA brings in each year.  Last year, the revenue figure was higher than expected, so teams had a bunch of "extra" money to spend (room under the cap) and players like Timofey Mozgov cashed in.  This year, the revenue figure was lower than expected, so the cap did not go up much and teams couldn't throw around crazy money.  At this point in the off season, most teams don't much (if any) space under the cap, so they aren't going to go out and sign a guy like Willie and have to pay luxury tax on top of his contract.  Good teams who might pay tax for a marginal upgrade have already filled out their rosters and bad teams aren't going to throw money at a guy who isn't a key piece.

JaVale McGee, NBA champion and similar player to Willie (I think), had a very nice season with the dubs as their backup center.  You'd think he could have cashed in for more money, but at this point he is probably going to get the minimum from someone and might wind up back with Golden State (because if you're taking the minimum why not play for the team that'll in the title).

Horrible job reading market by Willie's agent.

Even if he blows all his money, at worst he'll be a 3 year NBA veteran with stops in Brooklyn, Miami, and LA.

Not bad for a guy most of us wrote off a long time ago.

Willie just needs to have another solid year and stay healthy and the money will be there eventually.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Horrible job reading market by Willie's agent.

Willie Reed needs to fire his agent. Seriously. This is waaaaay underpaid and he should have been signing a 3 year deal 20 million minimum. 

The salary cap number is still ridiculously high. JJ Reddick got 24 million for a year. A backup big entering what should be his prime years should have been a hot commodity. Woof. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

What this means is that Willie is not getting the best advice available.  

It's been a recurring theme for him throughout his life.

Still, congrats to Willie on making $1.5 million this year.  Let's hope he has a successful season and can parlay it into something bigger.

59 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It's been a recurring theme for him throughout his life.

Still, congrats to Willie on making $1.5 million this year.  Let's hope he has a successful season and can parlay it into something bigger.

Plus 1

I had a bad feeling about his free agency during the draft.  Just a lot of big men with first round, and even lottery pick, ability.  Probably cut down on the list of potential suitors.  However, the FA market for centers was pretty weak.  Wish he would have just signed a long term deal with the Heat.  Now he is in a deep front court, who knows if he will get PT.

That said, 1.5 million is pretty awesome for someone that looked like he missed his chance just a year ago.

Willie has done zero in the NBA.  His salary is right on.  If he has a breakout year then next off season he could get 5-7 mil a year.  The NBA is so top heavy in salary that the bottom of rotation guys get paid very little.

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Willie Reed needs to fire his agent. Seriously. This is waaaaay underpaid and he should have been signing a 3 year deal 20 million minimum. 

The salary cap number is still ridiculously high. JJ Reddick got 24 million for a year. A backup big entering what should be his prime years should have been a hot commodity. Woof. 

I don't think you understand how the economics work in the NBA salary cap/luxury tax structure.

Surely, you understand that the market for an elite veteran shooter is different than a 27 year old backup center with career averages of 13.2MPG 5.1 PPG and 4.1RPG?

Moreover, the 76ers have a young core playing on rookie contracts, so they have short term cap room to burn on an inflated salary for a 33-year old who has made 41.5% of his 3s during his 10+ year career.

Teams need to pinch pennies somewhere to pay for the top level guys. Until Willie earns a starting role for a playoff team in the east or a respectable outfit out west, he's just another guy.

30 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I don't think you understand how the economics work in the NBA salary cap/luxury tax structure.

Surely, you understand that the market for an elite veteran shooter is different than a 27 year old backup center with career averages of 13.2MPG 5.1 PPG and 4.1RPG?

Moreover, the 76ers have a young core playing on rookie contracts, so they have short term cap room to burn on an inflated salary for a 33-year old who has made 41.5% of his 3s during his 10+ year career.

Teams need to pinch pennies somewhere to pay for the top level guys. Until Willie earns a starting role for a playoff team in the east or a respectable outfit out west, he's just another guy.

Exhibit B - Cristiano Felicio - 4 years, 32 million. Stats worse than Willie.

Young backup bigs who project well don't get 1 year deals for nearly the league minimum in this league. They just don't. Old backup bigs, sure. 

I fully understand the reasons Reddick got the deal he did, but the point remains. This league is giving out record contracts to mediocre players because they're limited in what they have to pay the stars. The system is rigged to favor guys like Willie. Except he seemingly has incompetent representation. 

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Young backup bigs who project well don't get 1 year deals for nearly the league minimum in this league. They just don't. Old backup bigs, sure. 

I fully understand the reasons Reddick got the deal he did, but the point remains. This league is giving out record contracts to mediocre players because they're limited in what they have to pay the stars. The system is rigged to favor guys like Willie. Except he seemingly has incompetent representation. 

The felicio contract was panned league wide.  Also Willie is 27 Felicio is 22, big difference. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I don't think Willie's agent is the problem here. 

When your deal is universally heralded as a bargain or steal for new club, your agent probably stinks. As duffman noted, he opted out of a one year deal, for another one year deal making less money. His agent is a problem 

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

When your deal is universally heralded as a bargain or steal for new club, your agent probably stinks. As duffman noted, he opted out of a one year deal, for another one year deal making less money. His agent is a problem 

You or I could have gotten Willie a one year 3 million dollar deal.  Who did Willie hire, George Costanza?

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Most of stupid money going to mediocre players was given out last offseason when the salary cap increased $24.1M and the salary floor jumped $21.6M.

This year they only rose by 7M and 6M and most of the stupid money from last season is still on the books.

Teams are limited in what they can pay each player, but smart teams are going to spend disproportionately on their best players and core supporting cast and go cheap on the players who can be easily replaced.