Willie Reed - Impressive Heat Debut

philliken

That's great stuff. Rick Majerus would be proud.

Reed is another longtime D-League player who has blossomed under Spoelstra. An undrafted free agent out of Saint Louis University in 2011, Reed played for four D-League teams in three seasons before catching on with the Nets in 2015. He played well enough in a limited role behind Brook Lopez last season to earn a two-year contract at the minimum from the Heat, and at the age of 26, he has become one of the best backup centers in the NBA. He plays his role to perfection in Miami, setting solid screens and rolling hard to the rim on offense, and protecting the rim and sealing off the paint on defense.

At 6-foot-11 and 245 pounds with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, Reed has prototypical size for a center, with the athleticism to play above the rim and the quickness to slide his feet and cut off dribble penetration. The Heat have a defensive rating of 100.9 when he’s on the floor, tied for the best mark on the team, and they are 4.3 points worse when he’s off, even though he’s backing up Whiteside, one of the best shot blockers in the NBA. Reed may not have Whiteside’s elite athleticism, but he’s almost always in the right position to contest a shot. Watch how he guards Kevin Durant on this pick-and-roll, staying close enough to force him to pass to JaVale McGee, and then recovering fast enough to challenge McGee:

On offense, Reed is in the 85th percentile of pick-and-roll finishers, scoring 1.23 points per possession in the two-man game. He has great hands and good touch around the rim, and he’s capable of taking one dribble and finishing through traffic. Reed is rarely asked to create his own shot, but he does a great job of cutting off the ball and getting himself in the right place to catch passes from the Heat guards when they get in the lane. He’s the kind of big man that every team in the NBA needs, and his ability to play in the pick-and-roll on both ends of the floor will keep him in the league for a long time:

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Zink said:

He's going to get a big next contract if he stays healthy. Great to see him doing well. Would love to see Ford get him involved on campus. 

You know, Willie would probably do it.

I was in Miami last month for a couple of weeks and caught a Heat-Mavericks game. On a game I watched on TV heard him in an interview, he's matured a lot.

• 1 month later...

Willie finished the season with 16 points and six rebounds in 14 minutes in the season finale.  He really proved himself to be a solid NBA player this year, after years of paying some really tough dues in the d-league.  Congratulations Willie; you might as well tear up that player option and triple or quadruple your salary.

2 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Willie finished the season with 16 points and six rebounds in 14 minutes in the season finale.  He really proved himself to be a solid NBA player this year, after years of paying some really tough dues in the d-league.  Congratulations Willie; you might as well tear up that player option and triple or quadruple your salary.

Golden state 

• 3 weeks later...

MIAMI — This offseason is going to be different for Willie Reed.

Then again, this season was different for Reed. He played in a career-high 71 games and averaged a career-best 5.3 points and 4.7 rebounds in his first season with the Heat.

But will it be Reed’s only season with the Heat? He is expected to turn down his $1.6 million player option with Miami to enter free agency this summer, as more money is expected to be available on the open market.

http://heatzone.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/05/01/willie-reed-says-returning-to-the-heat-next-season-would-be-great-but-is-it-realistic/

25 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Is Willie Reed good enough to start for an NBA playoff team? (Sincere question.)

Start? Probably not. If you look at the rosters of the playoff teams this year I would have a hard time arguing where he would start over any big men on these playoff team rosters. 

Get significant minutes? For sure. I'm a die hard C's fan and I think their lack of front court depth continues to hurt them. Olynyk is big but he is a great shooter so they stretch him out. The C's had tremendous rebounding issues and I think Reed could have helped them, I actually think Ainge would find him a great fit for the team and wouldn't be shocked to see him in Kelly Green. 

You could even argue a team as talented as the Warriors lacks size on their bench, but I don't see Willie fitting with their system. 

I think its a testament to his improvement how he has risen in the league, but in the NBA you have to remember a few things: Everyone is talented and so much of the roster decisions are dictated by personal choice, far more than even college ball. Honestly I wish I would have watched more of the Heat this year so I could give a better prediction to where he ends up but I hope he continues to prosper. 

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I saw on Snapchat that Willie bought a Bentley. Nice

That is not necessarily a good thing. He makes $1.6 M per year, an unknown part of which goes deferred or is deposited in long term accounts. His Federal tax rate for 2016 is 39.6% of whatever his taxable income is (over 496,000 filing joint return with his wife, assuming he is married). The  bite goes deeper if he is not married. Florida has no State tax, but has a hefty sales tax among other things. So let's say that about 45% of his taxable income goes into taxes one way or the other. That leaves him with $880,000 cash (minus whatever is deferred or goes into long term accounts). The Bentleys start around $230,000 new, and cost a hefty sum to service, pay property tax, and insurance. Surely he can afford the Bently with no sweat, the problem is that this is not the only large expense he will be facing. Other major expenses come to mind, there is proper housing for someone making what he does, proper clothing (for himself and his wife and children), proper schools for the kids, and again proper entertainment for his level and station in life. I hope you can see Willie can go through whatever is left after taxes without much problem. That is where the problems start. This may sound ridiculous, but what is wrong with a Porsche, a Mercedes, or even an Escalade SUV?

If you start the rapid burn of cash early on in your career it tends to continue and grow with time... I hope among his many expenses he includes a honest and rational financial manager, these are hard to find.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is not necessarily a good thing. He makes $1.6 M per year, an unknown part of which goes deferred or is deposited in long term accounts. His Federal tax rate for 2016 is 39.6% of whatever his taxable income is (over 496,000 filing joint return with his wife, assuming he is married). The  bite goes deeper if he is not married. Florida has no State tax, but has a hefty sales tax among other things. So let's say that about 45% of his taxable income goes into taxes one way or the other. That leaves him with $880,000 cash (minus whatever is deferred or goes into long term accounts). The Bentleys start around $230,000 new, and cost a hefty sum to service, pay property tax, and insurance. Surely he can afford the Bently with no sweat, the problem is that this is not the only large expense he will be facing. Other major expenses come to mind, there is proper housing for someone making what he does, proper clothing (for himself and his wife and children), proper schools for the kids, and again proper entertainment for his level and station in life. I hope you can see Willie can go through whatever is left after taxes without much problem. That is where the problems start. This may sound ridiculous, but what is wrong with a Porsche, a Mercedes, or even an Escalade SUV?

If you start the rapid burn of cash early on in your career it tends to continue and grow with time... I hope among his many expenses he includes a honest and rational financial manager, these are hard to find.

Agreed. Didn't David Brent buy a Rolls or Bentley with his money and was broke within a couple years.

26 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I hope among his many expenses he includes a honest and rational financial manager, these are hard to find.

My wife is a CFP and a life long Billiken fan, I am sure she would be willing to help him out and as a CFP would have a fiduciary responsibility to act in his best interests (probably a key thing for those guys to be aware of when receiving financial guidance).

It has been an odd path, but it seems like Willie is making a name for himself in the NBA. 

I'm guessing Willie gets somewhere in the 3 year-4 year at about 8 million per year. And that might be too conservative. 

There won't be many 26 year old PF/C types on the free agent market. Someone might pay him potential starter money which would take him into that 10 million per year range  

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'm guessing Willie gets somewhere in the 3 year-4 year at about 8 million per year. And that might be too conservative. 

There won't be many 26 year old PF/C types on the free agent market. Someone might pay him potential starter money which would take him into that 10 million per year range  

Seriously, Willie will get at the absolute minimum $10M guaranteed on a two-year deal this summer, and more likely what you suggest above

And never count another man's money 

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

7 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Seriously, Willie will get at the absolute minimum $10M guaranteed on a two-year deal this summer, and more likely what you suggest above

And never count another man's money 

Pretty sure Willie is going to make more in one year than I will make in my entire life. So yeah, Willie gonna be aight

30 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Just for comparison purposes, Al Jefferson (32 years old - 13th year in the league - career ave 16.0 ppg / 8.6 rpg) was the backup C for the Pacers this year.  He got $10.9 M this season and will get $9.8 M next season.  Then a team option of $10.0 M for 2018/2019.  Overpaid, yeah, but that is what experienced second team C's get.

49 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Pretty sure Willie is going to make more in one year than I will make in my entire life. So yeah, Willie gonna be aight

No doubt he will do so, and also no doubt that he is likely to spend more in one year than you (plural you, includes all of us) will probably spend in your lifetime.

totally agree last 2 posts and Old Guy's overall drift. It's astounding how many of these kids that our paid as much in a year as most earn in a lifetime end up broke. Hardly any of the broke ones aren't big spenders.