Willie Reed - Impressive Heat Debut

philliken

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just think how many Applebee's gift cards Willie will be able to buy.

A shrewd investment advisor would tell him to buy them at Sams Club and get $100 for each $80. 

On Wed Jan 04 2017 at 9:56 AM, The Pelican said:

Exactly. Remember when he would run the court three times begging for a sub...

I love Willie but let's remember what the deal was with historical accuracy, VTime. 

He ended up taking a starting spot as a freshman almost immediately. You wanted him to redshirt because you were uninformed and thought he was just an athlete like most of the board

22 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He ended up taking a starting spot as a freshman almost immediately. You wanted him to redshirt because you were uninformed and thought he was just an athlete like most of the board

As a freshman he wasn't much more than just an athlete

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

As a freshman he wasn't much more than just an athlete

Sure he was. SLU has had a lot of athletic bigs that could just run and jump, but many of them had hands of stone or low IQ or couldn't finish. Horace Dixon, Obi , Newborne, on and on. Willie would take a dump down pass and you knew where it was going. I kept hearing how polished Thompson was supposed to be and how Conklin was physically ready, but Willie was so raw and would need to redshirt and then maybe by year 3 he could contribute. This happened here.

5 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Sure he was. SLU has had a lot of athletic bigs that could just run and jump, but many of them had hands of stone or low IQ or couldn't finish. Horace Dixon, Obi , Newborne, on and on. Willie would take a dump down pass and you knew where it was going. I kept hearing how polished Thompson was supposed to be and how Conklin was physically ready, but Willie was so raw and would need to redshirt and then maybe by year 3 he could contribute. This happened here.

Obi was an athletic big who could run and jump?  Maybe if he saw an all-you-can-eat buffet.

5 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

During the 2009-10 CBI Willie showed us that he was something special that we never had before. He posted some nice numbers during that tourney.

I give Willie credit, he labored through several NBDL seasons to get were he is today.

11 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Willie might have been better off redshirting his first year. I could construct an alternate timeline where he uses that year to improve his conditioning, grades, and grow up. He then becomes a low post force on an NCAA tournament team in year 2 (provided no 'situation', 3 and possibly a year 4, and then is a good tournament away from (in either year) from an NBA lottery or top 1st round pick. He would be finishing up his rookie deal right now and maybe headed for a pretty good payday. Either way that seems to be the case for Willie right now, so however he got to it it has worked for him so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Chicago to catch the Bulls game with my son tonight vs Heat.  I knew Willie was on the team, but pleasantly surprised to see him starting.  He played marvelously!  Fundamentally sound, at least 2 dunks, received a few inside passes (which would have bounced off of any of our bigs' hands) nicely.  Had 20 pts, 6 in the first quarter.  Now the Bulls are messed with internal strife right now, neither Wade, Butler nor Rondo started.  The crowd booed the team at the end of the game.  That said, Willie did well.  Came over to the refs and asked about every foul....some things never change.

mhg

On 1/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, willie said:

I think their regular power forward is out for the year. He has gotten a few starts and done very well. I think its great. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/92443519-132.html

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Good stuff thank you for sharing.