MAC Report?

crymdg2

I was working so I couldn't, but we need to remember that it is against NCAA rules for him to mention any player that has not signed a LOI, so no discussion of JG, HF or CG let alone any names of players or even any hint of any players who are not either on the team or who have signed a LOI.

10 hours ago, bauman said:

I was working so I couldn't, but we need to remember that it is against NCAA rules for him to mention any player that has not signed a LOI, so no discussion of JG, HF or CG let alone any names of players or even any hint of any players who are not either on the team or who have signed a LOI.

This is something where I have recently been confused.  Can he just not discuss the player?  Or does this extend to SLU more broadly.  SLU retweeted the following yesterday...and I would also be surprised is Gordon made the graphic

https://twitter.com/CarteareGordon/status/791304864936501248/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He can say something generic . Like, "we just got a commitment from a local player." But we already know that so what's the point? Why take the chance of talking about a player and letting his name slip by accident?

The NCAA hasn't caught up wit retweets yet. A year from now I don't think you'll see those either.

The retweets thing is actually a recent rule change. It started a month or two ago. It's allowed under the rules now. 

I realize that but I don't think the powers that be understand the long term implications of the rule change. In a social media dominated world you're restricting in person communication but allowing retweets 24-7? Why restrict name dropping at all?

If the NCAA thinks it too hard to track mentions of a recruit on an AD's media feed they should just ask any high school age programmer. It isn't.

25 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

This is something where I have recently been confused.  Can he just not discuss the player?  Or does this extend to SLU more broadly.  SLU retweeted the following yesterday...and I would also be surprised is Gordon made the graphic

https://twitter.com/CarteareGordon/status/791304864936501248/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

In the past, the easiest way to handle this conflict had been with two (2) speakers.  For instance, our head coach (Spoon comes to my mind) speaking to the MAC group in attendance generally about the program, upcoming season and current players.  When questions from the audience began and someone asked about a recent verbal commitment, Spoon would smile, say recruiting has been going very well but then say that he could not elaborate due to NCAA regulations.  Thereafter, the microphone was handed off to Bob Ramsey who would say "Coach could not talk about recruiting but I can ...." and then Bob would give an update on recruiting.

I was able to make the MAC lunch this year. Ford handled the Gordon news by saying that he couldn't comment specifically or name any names but that, if you checked Twitter, you would see that it was a great day for SLU. Beyond that, not much new from his talk. Of the current players, he singled out Roby and (somewhat surprisingly) Gillman for their improvement and strong work at practice. He is a compelling speaker -- I can see why he is successful with recruits. It was great to see Larry Hughes at the lunch as well.  

Incidentally, I spoke to a couple people at the lunch who I suspect might be fellow MBMs but I did not have a chance to ask. I was the tall bald guy with glasses f you happened to speak with me. I was at Table 5. It was nice meeting others if you happen to be reading.