Welcome to SLU, Hasahn French!

Pistol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not much, I'd bet. Welmer is a stretch forward who likes to shoot. French attacks the rim and glass.

I dont see anyway he leaves, especially after already sitting out a year.  Tons of depth at Forward. 

I thought this one was going to slip away when he took the visit to UNLV - big recruiting win against some tough competition. Great job by Macon who reportedly played a key role in this. The kid looks like a more skilled version of Mo Allie Cox in his videos.

We should be loaded at the 2, 3 and 4, so a point guard or center for the final scholarship? 

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jon Rothstein tweet...

Saint Louis will be one of the most improved teams in the country in 17-18. Billikens trending towards top half of Atlantic 10 next season.

This year's team looks like a pretty good bet to be even worse than the 2010-11 squad. Could next year's team sneak into the tourney a la 2011-12? None of the incoming transfers will be a Kwamain-type impact point guard, but collectively the talent level should be as good or better.

2 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

This year's team looks like a pretty good bet to be even worse than the 2010-11 squad. Could next year's team sneak into the tourney a la 2011-12? None of the incoming transfers will be a Kwamain-type impact point guard, but collectively the talent level should be as good or better.

I think they will be on the bubble most of the year. There will be some bad losses due to potentially 5 new starters in the beginning, but hopefully the team will be cruising by A10 tourney time. 

The sheer size difference and physicality of next year's team vs. this year's team will be awesome. 

Next year's team still needs depth. The incoming frosh look extremely talented but it's still their first year in D1 basketball. You are potentially putting together a starting lineup of 5 guys who have never played together in a competitive game. I still think you could see a pretty far drop off as soon as we go to the bench, but this coming season will give us a better indication of what to expect in that regard. 

I still think next year's team can be a NIT team based on talent alone, but I also think it's going to be hard to piece together a tourney team with 5 new guys as your 5 best players.

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jon Rothstein tweet...

Saint Louis will be one of the most improved teams in the country in 17-18. Billikens trending towards top half of Atlantic 10 next season.

-top half? I understand our position can't be examined in a vacuum, but I am thinking of going from the PIG to a bye in the conf tourney, perhaps I am jumping in too far

French and Johnson are nearly top 150.  Goodwin top 80 recruit.  Most of the transfers were as well.  This should be one of the most talented teams in the A10.  If Bishop (A10 all freshman) improves this team should be in top 3 of A10 and hopefully making the NCAA.

A good portion of the line up is already on campus practicing.

14 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Next year's team still needs depth. The incoming frosh look extremely talented but it's still their first year in D1 basketball. You are potentially putting together a starting lineup of 5 guys who have never played together in a competitive game. I still think you could see a pretty far drop off as soon as we go to the bench, but this coming season will give us a better indication of what to expect in that regard. 

I still think next year's team can be a NIT team based on talent alone, but I also think it's going to be hard to piece together a tourney team with 5 new guys as your 5 best players.

With the five (eventually six) newcomers, Moore, Welmer, Johnson, Bishop, Neufeld (maybe), and then Roby and Gillmann as seniors - I actually think we're pretty deep.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

With the five (eventually six) newcomers, Moore, Welmer, Johnson, Bishop, Neufeld (maybe), and then Roby and Gillmann as seniors - I actually think we're pretty deep.

And although those guys figure to be coming off a rough season, they will all have the opportunity to get a LOT of playing experience this year. I'm more interested in watching individual development this season, than team success.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We should probably see how those guys perform before we count them all as depth for next season.  I think at least a couple of those guys will be encouraged to move on or will see the writing on the wall when it comes to playing time.