SLU Soccer Rankings (Lazarus Edition)

kwyjibo

SLU is receiving votes on College Soccer News top 30 (37th).  Also very much to note that SLU will have played the teams currently ranked 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7th !!!!  Wisconsin is their worst loss but they are actually ranked now at 25th in CSN.  I knew the schedule was difficult at the beginning of the year but it has been even harder than expected.  Luckily SLU has taken care of business in the A-10 and has gotten to 38th in the RPI.  SLU's worst loss against Wisconsin on the road is now a help in RPI as Wisconsin is 51st and could easily move into top 50.  They have two ties at home against >100 teams (Marquette and VCU) but this is not a huge profile knock.  SLU is currently 44th in the Massey Ratings.

The game against Indiana tomorrow night is a big one but given how much Wake Forest has come on (they have been winning a lot against the top teams) I do not forecast a tie or win is necessary.  It would be still much tougher to get an at-large with a loss but they could still win the last two games and the first two rounds of the A-10 and have an RPI in the fairly safe mid-30's.  SLU's remaining regular season games are against some of the weak A-10's better teams.  Duquesne is top 100 RPI and Fordham has a winning record (and have played well against better teams) so wins in 2 of the last 3 are crucial.

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

SLU is receiving votes on College Soccer News top 30 (37th).  Also very much to note that SLU will have played the teams currently ranked 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7th !!!!  Wisconsin is their worst loss but they are actually ranked now at 25th in CSN.  I knew the schedule was difficult at the beginning of the year but it has been even harder than expected.  Luckily SLU has taken care of business in the A-10 and has gotten to 38th in the RPI.  SLU's worst loss against Wisconsin on the road is now a help in RPI as Wisconsin is 51st and could easily move into top 50.  They have two ties at home against >100 teams (Marquette and VCU) but this is not a huge profile knock.  SLU is currently 44th in the Massey Ratings.

The game against Indiana tomorrow night is a big one but given how much Wake Forest has come on (they have been winning a lot against the top teams) I do not forecast a tie or win is necessary.  It would be still much tougher to get an at-large with a loss but they could still win the last two games and the first two rounds of the A-10 and have an RPI in the fairly safe mid-30's.  SLU's remaining regular season games are against some of the weak A-10's better teams.  Duquesne is top 100 RPI and Fordham has a winning record (and have played well against better teams) so wins in 2 of the last 3 are crucial.

SLU is in this run of five games unbeaten and they can only draw 454 fans to a game?

Anyone care to explain that?

This in a town that thinks it can support an MLS franchise?

I know I said that SLU did not need to beat IU but last night they lost 5-0--with 4 first half goals.  There is no way to spin that and it will look bad on the resume for those looking closely.  SLU has an RPI of 41 after losing to Indiana so that still puts them firmly on the bubble.  As I said above they need to win the next two regular season games to have a shot (maybe one tie keeps them around but they need as many positive factors on their resume as possible and a better record will be one of them).  They probably need to win 2 games at the A-10 tournament for an at-large chance but at that point they might as well just win the final.  They can get a good enough RPI and have a top 10 win on the road on their resume--that should be enough to get them in but they have a strikes against them as well (no bad losses but a blowout loss will hurt if the committee uses Massey Rating as a supplement to RPI).

5 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

I know I said that SLU did not need to beat IU but last night they lost 5-0--with 4 first half goals.  There is no way to spin that and it will look bad on the resume for those looking closely.  SLU has an RPI of 41 after losing to Indiana so that still puts them firmly on the bubble.  As I said above they need to win the next two regular season games to have a shot (maybe one tie keeps them around but they need as many positive factors on their resume as possible and a better record will be one of them).  They probably need to win 2 games at the A-10 tournament for an at-large chance but at that point they might as well just win the final.  They can get a good enough RPI and have a top 10 win on the road on their resume--that should be enough to get them in but they have a strikes against them as well (no bad losses but a blowout loss will hurt if the committee uses Massey Rating as a supplement to RPI).

They will not be good enough.

For the fifth time in seven years they will miss the tournament.

Mike McGinty should be fired.

He should have been fired after the final whistle last night.

Not allowed on the team bus back.