A10 media day 2016

Cowboy

-not necessarily together, but Coach Ford and Stu indicate they are on their way to Pittsburgh for A10 media day tomorrow

-has the PD always sent a reporter to this event? I am thinking they have not but that is my tainted memory and I thank them for sending Stu this season and hope he enjoys

-Stu asks for predictions on where the Bills will be picked and my submission is somewhere in the bottom 4 for the PIG (assuming the PIG is still there this year)

-perhaps Coach Ford is taking Wednesday to continue east to MA to visit French and get a commitment

Nothing super interesting during the interview with Coach Ford on facebook live:

-I came in about 15 seconds after the beginning because I was on a call, he had just finished describing how he wanted a player to be creative. I am assuming he was talking about Zeke.

-Talked about the players adjusting to the new system. Says it has been a process but is happy with the progress. Said the transfers have been massive assets already with their commitment to practice. Ford thinks its a unique experience because everything and everyone is new to everybody.

-Really hedging this year, which I'm fine with. Views success as "People coming in and saying, that was the hardest working team out their tonight. I want us to be prepared, and I want us to be organized. Not going to get caught up in wins and losses this year."

I think this year will be a struggle. I think it is to be expected and I am fine with it. I am still really excited for the new era to begin.

29 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Nothing super interesting during the interview with Coach Ford on facebook live:

-I came in about 15 seconds after the beginning because I was on a call, he had just finished describing how he wanted a player to be creative. I am assuming he was talking about Zeke.

Was talking about Jermaine Bishop - wants him to be creative for the team and himself - said it was ok for him to make mistakes.

Prior to that - they mentioned Crawford - hopes to be on the court in the next two weeks - that they will need him this season.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

As Gomer Pyle used to say, Surprise... Surprise... Surprise. From the NCAA's to the toilet in just two short years. Thanks J. Crews and company.

+1, the Jim Crews basketball buzz kill still haunts us.

1 hour ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Was talking about Jermaine Bishop - wants him to be creative for the team and himself - said it was ok for him to make mistakes.

Prior to that - they mentioned Crawford - hopes to be on the court in the next two weeks - that they will need him this season.

Perfect. Thank you!

Stu said Crawford (hamstring) and Jalen Johnson missed last night's scrimmage. Johnson is expected to miss a week with a dislocated finger.

Ford was encouraged by the offense at the scrimmage. Henriquez had 20 at halftime.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Stu said Crawford (hamstring) and Jalen Johnson missed last night's scrimmage. Johnson is expected to miss a week with a dislocated finger.

Ford was encouraged by the offense at the scrimmage. Henriquez had 20 at halftime.

Is Ford going to have open practices during the season if we're struggling, just so we can watch the transfers dominate and make us feel better about the future?

1 hour ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I love this mentality. Players make plays and sometimes you have to be able to be creative and take a chance without fear of getting pulled.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Is Ford going to have open practices during the season if we're struggling, just so we can watch the transfers dominate and make us feel better about the future?

I hope so. It's like going to the theater to see Manos: Hands of Fate and seeing a trailer for Bonnie & Clyde. Things will be much better next year. Stick with us.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We'll be bad this year, but "Manos: Hands of Fate" bad?  I'm hoping we won't be at that level.  That's a pretty strong statement tucked inside of a really cool obscure reference.

Maybe not. But we also won't be Bonnie & Clyde good next season, which would be like Final Four lock with a legit shot at a title good.

Original metaphor dramaticized for effect.

If you think about it, there is a somewhat perverse advantage to be ranked last in A10. No one will be surprised when we lose a game, and lots of people will be surprised when we win one. You could picture this as a stealth position, we may be better than what we are expected to be and finding that out will rock people out of their comfortable way of looking at SLU, on the other hand if we meet expectations no one will blink.