Piece of SLU property considered for possible MLS stadium site

TheBand

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think it is around 14,000.  Box might know the most up to date accurate number.

That is more than I figured, but how many are within 'walking distance' of Union Station?  Of course 'walking distance' depends on everyone's definition. 

I think the main concentration of possible fans would be along Washington Street.  Areas south of Chouteau, along Lafayette Park area, might be part of the fanbase?  Who knows.  If you can't/won't walk to the stadium, then it doesn't matter if it is at Union Station or Grand Ave in my book.

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Another dumb question, what kind of time frame are we talking about here with regards to the MLS making a decision and a team starting play in STL?

Cordes said, “We understand the expansion committee at MLS is going to be meeting in mid-November and shortly after that they will make recommendations to the cities that they are going to be expanding in and we certainly hope St. Louis is one of them.”

http://fox2now.com/2016/10/18/foundry-st-louis-reveals-some-plans-for-mls-team-in-st-louis/

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

That is more than I figured, but how many are within 'walking distance' of Union Station?  Of course 'walking distance' depends on everyone's definition. 

I think the main concentration of possible fans would be along Washington Street.  Areas south of Chouteau, along Lafayette Park area, might be part of the fanbase?  Who knows.  If you can't/won't walk to the stadium, then it doesn't matter if it is at Union Station or Grand Ave in my book.

Don't like the SLU site at all.

Safety concerns.

Not exactly the best part of town is it? Can only imagine how high the crime rate is in that part of town.

With further information, here is a radio clip with Bill McDermott discussing the MLS2STL bid, which still seems to be looking at Union Station or N. Riverfront.

http://insidestl.com/bill-mcdermott-talks-st-louis-groups-soccer-stadium-public-forum-mls2stls-progress/1975841

This interview hints on an announcement yet this year.

22 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Don't like the SLU site at all.

Safety concerns.

Not exactly the best part of town is it? Can only imagine how high the crime rate is in that part of town.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "rate," but for the past six months, there have been roughly 50 times more crimes committed in similar, say, four-block proximities to both Busch Stadium and Scottrade. It's kinda hard to have a crime rate when there's no one there. 

You might also note that we have a med campus there.

Sort of off topic but looking at the area and assuming that the MLS2STL group gets a stadium at Union station complete, wonder if Dr. P will or has talked to Blues about the possibility of building a joint ice rink there.  I know I heard earlier this year about Blues looking to build one in Maryland Heights and would have a rink for collegiate hockey but if they could work out a deal for that land, that would be another great possibility at that site.

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I know I heard earlier this year about Blues looking to build one in Maryland Heights and would have a rink for collegiate hockey but if they could work out a deal for that land, that would be another great possibility at that site.

Dont see that happening.  BPV and the Cardinals will have a lot to say and will do whatever they can to make sure that doesn't happen.  

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Dont see that happening.  BPV and the Cardinals will have a lot to say and will do whatever they can to make sure that doesn't happen.  

Don't see a rink at the SLU site because of Cardinals?  Just curious why?

That's is a big reason why I think MLS2STL has the advantage on MLS stadium because I haven't heard a big money man in Foundry and the MLS season is same time as Cardinals so they would want to keep the crowd around BPV.  The ice rink could be for Blues practice, which is in the morning/afternoon, some youth games and obviously my hope was SLU would get D1 hockey back.  I wouldn't think that would have a big impact on the Cards or BPV.  

Obviously we have discussed the reasons why SLU getting D1 hockey is an extreme long shot because of cost of the program and everything but that was just a thought I had when I saw the MLS stadium there.

Has anybody read who is going to pay for said stadiums because that is the most important part for citizens in St. Louis.  Having two bidders for MLS teams means the city of St. Louis/state of Missouri take cash off the table and say we will support whomever can fund it themselves.  If Foundry St. Louis is going to fund the stadium without public cash then that is a better bid for St. Louis (having more well-known rich people looking for a handout does not make it better).

Also, the economics of the MLS is such there is little smart money involved.  Well, there is a ponzi scheme going on with the expansion fees (current owners paper over their losses and paltry TV deals by cashing in on expansion).  Some franchises have gotten money from good attendance but the majority are losing money from the actual MLS TV deals and attendance (teams indirectly get a cut of SUM events but it is pretty damning that a soccer leagues cash cow is other people's soccer events).  Adding more teams is going to water down the already small TV money (and water down the product on the field).

It is possible that MLS expands and grows (they are not gaining TV viewers but attendance generally has increased) and gets a bigger TV deal someday but with more teams it seems likely that making money is wishful thinking.  Of course, with that kind of terrible revenue chances the rich owners have their hands out for stadiums.  Personally, I think the MLS is in a catch-22; getting rid of their salary caps on the bulk of players would make the league better but then it is not clear the revenue would increase enough to pay for the greater player and development costs.

Monorail!

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is an interesting twist.  This article says the SLU Men's and Women's team would use the new MLS stadium.  I don't know why they would abandon Herman Field.

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/10/second-st-louis-mls-group-unveils-stadium-renderings

I thought about this when the SLUish site was first announced, but discounted it because of the prior issues with us v. pro at Kielvis. But at least the soccer Bills wouldn't have to compete for time with Disney on Ice like the basketball team did. (Actually, kind of ironic -- doesn't Disney on Ice play the 'Fetz now?) 

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

Has anybody read who is going to pay for said stadiums because that is the most important part for citizens in St. Louis.  Having two bidders for MLS teams means the city of St. Louis/state of Missouri take cash off the table and say we will support whomever can fund it themselves.  If Foundry St. Louis is going to fund the stadium without public cash then that is a better bid for St. Louis (having more well-known rich people looking for a handout does not make it better).

Foundry says they will privatley finance and then recapture new tax revenue with a TIF.

Rumor has it that MLS2STL will ask for a vote on a regional tax increase to fund both the construction of their stadium and renovations to Scottrade Center.  (There is more than one reason why the Blues new practice rink will be in Chesterfield.)

If this is true they will try to get it on the ballot of local elections next year when turnout will be low, tax measures easier to pass, and another Blues playoff run gets people excited.

46 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I saw this tweet from Mayor Slay this evening that I thought would be of interest:

@MayorSlay Two MLS stadium groups are probably one too many. #fgs

I'd rather have 3 or 4 bidders going after it.

I moved out of the city in 01 when Slay was elected.  I'm moving back next month now that he's leaving.

14 hours ago, bonwich said:

I thought about this when the SLUish site was first announced, but discounted it because of the prior issues with us v. pro at Kielvis. But at least the soccer Bills wouldn't have to compete for time with Disney on Ice like the basketball team did. (Actually, kind of ironic -- doesn't Disney on Ice play the 'Fetz now?) 

They could use it like St John's uses MSG. For things like the Freshman game, Homecoming, playoffs, they may be able to get a lot of people into the MLS stadium. I don't feel they have a strong enough attendance day-to-day, though to use a larger stadium full-time.

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

With further information, here is a radio clip with Bill McDermott discussing the MLS2STL bid, which still seems to be looking at Union Station or N. Riverfront.

http://insidestl.com/bill-mcdermott-talks-st-louis-groups-soccer-stadium-public-forum-mls2stls-progress/1975841

This interview hints on an announcement yet this year.

How does he hint at an announcement this year?

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If this article is creditable, it appears that the N. Riverfront site is on the back burner for the MLS2SLT group.  That is fine with me.  The distance between the Grand Avenue site and the Union Station site is 1 Metro stop.  Throw a blanket over them.  The stadium site won't influence whether or not my family attends MLS games.  To me they are both 'near downtown'. 

The advantage to me for the Union Station site is that it likely would revitalize UStation.  Besides the Station there isn't too much else going on in the 2 to 4 block area.

The advantage to me for the Grand Site is more land available to develop.  It would enhance the corridor between the Medical Campus and the Main Campus.