Piece of SLU property considered for possible MLS stadium site

TheBand

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt there are examples of soccer and football sharing the same field. And had the Rams stayed, our MLS team would be playing in a 70,000 seat riverfront stadium sharing the field with the Rams... but sharing a field is not ideal because of how much football teams tear up the field.  And an NFL team would bave the resources to resod during the season...

On 10/19/2016 at 2:19 PM, bonwich said:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "rate," but for the past six months, there have been roughly 50 times more crimes committed in similar, say, four-block proximities to both Busch Stadium and Scottrade. It's kinda hard to have a crime rate when there's no one there. 

You might also note that we have a med campus there.

Do you have any stats to back that up with?

You bring up the Med Campus to say if you get shot then you have a short ride to a hospital?

Would you walk around that area at night now? I wouldn't.

3 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

Yes it is.  Beyond that, would anyone actually care about a non-scholarship football team? I just can't see it

100 might be the number of people in the stands.

From a sports fan perspective, if you aren't going to try to at least be at the level of say Lindenwood, what's the point?

5 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

You bring up the Med Campus to say if you get shot then you have a short ride to a hospital?

I wouldn't either. There's nothing to walk to.

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

No doubt there are examples of soccer and football sharing the same field. And had the Rams stayed, our MLS team would be playing in a 70,000 seat riverfront stadium sharing the field with the Rams... but sharing a field is not ideal because of how much football teams tear up the field.  And an NFL team would bave the resources to resod during the season...

indoor astroturf or whatever the 2016 version of fake field negates all that I'm thinking

6 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

I looked at the crime map.

Google is your friend. 

Right you are Bonwich, no one else (like realtors) are allowed to tell you as required by rules and regs. You cannot get any information on crime or school systems in any specific neighborhood from your realtors when you are looking for a house, you are on your own. If Google is filling the void good for them.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Right you are Bonwich, no one else (like realtors) are allowed to tell you as required by rules and regs. You cannot get any information on crime or school systems in any specific neighborhood from your realtors when you are looking for a house, you are on your own. If Google is filling the void good for them.

Google isn't. SLMPD is. And it really isn't that hard to find the map. 

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

Google isn't. SLMPD is. And it really isn't that hard to find the map. 

Your right.  It took me five seconds to find the data.  And as you said, really nothing reported in the immediate area.  One robbery at Rutger and Grand.  A couple of auto thefts down by the hospital, and some stuff over by Vandeventer.  There is a heck of a lot more going on 'downtown'.  Looks like the "safe bet" is the Grand Avenue site.  You are right, TrollPants is wrong.

Interesting schematics.  I thought the target property was north of Market street, not south.  This would wipe out the Drury Inn Hotel, I think.  I wish they would rotate the map so the top is N instead of W.

Property acquisitions that involve government agencies have to be public information, but I appreciate Peacock keeping his negotiations private.  There is no need for Peacock to throw minor tidbits out to the public until he is ready for the BIG announcement.

Ya the map is annoying. also the hotel and that bar i always forget the name of would come down.  a Fairfield hotel would also be built on site.  one bonus would be extra food and drinks within a mile of the fetz

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya the map is annoying. also the hotel and that bar i always forget the name of would come down.  a Fairfield hotel would also be built on site.  one bonus would be extra food and drinks within a mile of the fetz

Does the Upper Limits stay or go?  It looks like it stays. That's a great workout climbing those walls. 

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Does the Upper Limits stay or go?  That's a great workout climbing those walls. 

Im wrong, they said the drury "could" stay, along with upper limits.  but Maggie O'Brien's would come down

45 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im wrong, they said the drury "could" stay, along with upper limits.  but Maggie O'Brien's would come down

Thanks.  I guess I should have read the article more carefully.  

Leave work, go work out at Upper Limits, get a bite to eat at Union Station, see the game, back to Union Station for a nightcap, then home on the Metro.

Cool.