Piece of SLU property considered for possible MLS stadium site

TheBand

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk to Chaifetz from the Grand Metro stop.  This would be closer.  Q for the SLU students (for those 21 and over).  Where is the nearest pub/restuarant?  [No, not interested in Rallys or Chipoltes.]

Not reported in this article was that Gov Nixon visited Garber last week.

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

Not much in terms of food nearby. Diner's Delight at Compton and Park. Crave Coffee on the med campus. Otherwise the tower grove ave area

One could argue that Billy Goat Hill/Revival/King Louie's would reopen almost instantly. Plus I'd bet on a restaurant building boom between this and the new hospital across the street. 

From what I hear, this is nothing but a PR distraction. This is being proposed by a group called Foundry who wants to bring an MLS team here. However, this group is not working the MLS or the local politicians, and cannot get the attention of the powers to be. 

There is a separate group called MLS to STL that is being led by Dave Peacock and includes the real power brokers, including Jim Kavanaugh, the Cardinals owners, and the Blues owners. MLS to STL is working closely with MLS Commissioner Don Garber and the mayor and governor. Their property site is immediately west of Union Station, including land that is currently part of a highway ramp that is being removed.

15 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Believe there will soon be alot of food places nearby when that huge development (Foundry?) breaks ground nearby.

I have to believe its no coincidence that those proposing that site for a stadium have "Foundry" in their name. 

The issue with that, though, is that right now you can't get there from there. I'd have to believe that they'd do something to reconnect Spring with a big pedestrian overpass. That, too, would be very cool. 

As for the PR aspect of it, yeah, they're pimping their own development, but it's also interesting that Kavanaugh has very close ties to the U., so he might be induced at least to listen. 

On 10/16/2016 at 0:23 PM, davidnark said:

From what I hear, this is nothing but a PR distraction. This is being proposed by a group called Foundry who wants to bring an MLS team here. However, this group is not working the MLS or the local politicians, and cannot get the attention of the powers to be. 

There is a separate group called MLS to STL that is being led by Dave Peacock and includes the real power brokers, including Jim Kavanaugh, the Cardinals owners, and the Blues owners. MLS to STL is working closely with MLS Commissioner Don Garber and the mayor and governor. Their property site is immediately west of Union Station, including land that is currently part of a highway ramp that is being removed.

That group is mentioned in the article.  

It will ultimately come down to who is actually the money person involved in each group.  If Swraj Paul (the ultimate money man behind the Foundry project) is the money man behind the Foundry soccer group, that group will be a legitimate player.

While just west of Union Station is their preference, I believe the MLS2STL group has at least looked at the location near SLU as well.  

It might be a backup plan for them if MODot finds a way to screw up the changes to the 22nd street interchange.

If anyone goes to Urban Chestnut tonight, please report back.

There are all kinds of St. Louis idiosyncrasies embedded in this proposal.

95+ percent of metro residents don't distinguish between downtown and midtown.

The whole "boost to downtown" thing has been proven to be a colossal fib. Scott Kielvis: nope. Dome: nope. Busch III: Sure, if you let us build our own subsidized Appleby's development right next door that sucks the life out of most nearby indie bars and restaurants. As for anything more than six blocks away: nope. 

"But downtown is so much more accessible with all the highways converging there."

Sure, if the new stadium is built where the highways converge. But that location isn't. And the Foundry group's proposal is roughly 12 blocks west of it. 

The Grand site does, in fact, have lots of issues. (On the other hand, it would be a financial boon to SLU, which would make up to $10K a game filling the otherwise-empty NAHP (or whatever they call it now) garages on game days/nights. 

I'm with Nark that it's a long shot, but especially with the Kavanaugh connection, I think it's possible. 

40 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Busch III: Sure, if you let us build our own subsidized Appleby's development right next door that sucks the life out of most nearby indie bars and restaurants.

This little trope is even sillier than the idea that large-scale urban renewal projects will "save" downtown. Do people really still believe this? I thought once the place out at Watson and 270 blamed their plight on BPV, people realized it had jumped the shark.

28 minutes ago, bonwich said:

If anyone goes to Urban Chestnut tonight, please report back.

There are all kinds of St. Louis idiosyncrasies embedded in this proposal.

95+ percent of metro residents don't distinguish between downtown and midtown.

The whole "boost to downtown" thing has been proven to be a colossal fib. Scott Kielvis: nope. Dome: nope. Busch III: Sure, if you let us build our own subsidized Appleby's development right next door that sucks the life out of most nearby indie bars and restaurants. As for anything more than six blocks away: nope. 

"But downtown is so much more accessible with all the highways converging there."

Sure, if the new stadium is built where the highways converge. But that location isn't. And the Foundry group's proposal is roughly 12 blocks west of it. 

The Grand site does, in fact, have lots of issues. (On the other hand, it would be a financial boon to SLU, which would make up to $10K a game filling the otherwise-empty NAHP (or whatever they call it now) garages on game days/nights. 

I'm with Nark that it's a long shot, but especially with the Kavanaugh connection, I think it's possible. 

Which is the main reason there is no boon to greater downtown area.  There is no need to get there early to beat the traffic or find something to after the game while you are waiting for the traffic to die down a little.

Swraj Paul is worth over $2 billion dollars.  If he is the money man for the Foundry soccer group (like he is for the property development of the same name), that group will be a legit player.  It will be more than a PR distraction.  The MLS likes the guy who is ultimately calling shots to be a billionaire.  They want owners that can absorb large losses for a number of years.  Plus, Paul probably thinks he could cover much of those losses with the increase worth the stadium development would bring his other property developments in the area.

6 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Why aren't they considering the north riverfront after so much time and money was spent acquiring land/negotiating options for the Rams' stadium?

The riverfront is nice talk when talking about +60,000 people, not 15,000.

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

Why aren't they considering the north riverfront after so much time and money was spent acquiring land/negotiating options for the Rams' stadium?

My guess is because to get Bob O'Loughlin to dump money in the project requires the project to provide a benefit to his Union Station project.  So never mind all the tax payer money Peacock, Slay and company dumped into the north riverfront. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

The riverfront is nice talk when talking about +60,000 people, not 15,000.

Except those soccer crowds were a big selling point for the NFL stadium project on the north riverfront.  Those game days were what was to actually make the project viable.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Except those soccer crowds were a big selling point for the NFL stadium project on the north riverfront.  Those game days were what was to actually make the project viable.

Except without the NFL, an MLS stadium by itself becomes an apples to oranges project. The total investment on a soccer-only stadium probably wouldn't top 20% of the numbers they were throwing out for the football stadium.