Kudos to Soccer Bills' Saadiq Mohammed

HoosierPal

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211234393

Deja vu all over again.  Mohammed was named A-10 Rookie of the Week for the second week in a row.  In addition, St. Louis native and DeSmet Grad Ben Yeager was named A-10 Defensive Player of the Week.

Congratulations to both.  TrollPants likey wet himself.

Nope. Don't pay attention to insignificant awards such as what you cited.

I realize that is all SLU fans have to celebrate.

I pay attention to who wins the NCAA tournament. Not a player of the week award in an insignificant soccer conference like the A-10.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.  Congrats to Mohammed.

Davidson is not a great team but it was on the road so it does not hurt the RPI.  SLU is currently at 42 and have been getting the job done.   Wake Forest is now 11th in RPI so SLU gets a top 25 road win bonus.  All the losses are to good teams--Wisconsin is the worst loss but that was to a currently 63rd team on the road--it will not hurt RPI.

Basically, SLU needs to win at least one more road game and win both at home.  Beating a bad St. Bonnie's this weekend will hurt the RPI slightly but after that every game will be a chance to move up (just a bit with home game against Fordham).  I will do a formal recalculation wth some A-10 tourney projections early next week.  This team is likely getting better even the competition is not great because it is difficult to win consistently even when you have the better team in college soccer.

2 hours ago, bonwich said:

From the prez:

Fred P. Pestello Retweeted NCAA Soccer

Soccer gave Saadiq hope. Then Saadiq gave the world an unforgettable story. Thank you for your story & bravery. Proud you're a Billiken.

He was reacting to real cool NCAA video that I'm not sure has yet been posted in this thread.

Wow, it is pretty neat that the entire community is behind this young man, giving him encouragement.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Yeah, Mike Trout sucks too. I think he is only 594 home runs behind Barry Bonds all time.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Trout is 22 percent of the way to catching Bonds.

Sadiq is only 4 percent of the way to catching Gentile.

Trout has an unlimited number of years to catch Bonds.

Sadiq only has four years to catch Gentile.

Actually Gentile might have scored his in three because I am not sure if freshman were allowed to play back then.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That links to the exact same thing as the one I posted above. I was hoping that we could post just the video without Twitter intervening. (I'm not sure anyone without a Twitter account can even see that tweet if they click on either of our links.)

I also find it odd that neither the NCAA nor the A-10 has the source video posted, although I bet it's probably behind the A-10 Network paywall. 

7 minutes ago, bonwich said:

That links to the exact same thing as the one I posted above. I was hoping that we could post just the video without Twitter intervening. (I'm not sure anyone without a Twitter account can even see that tweet if they click on either of our links.)

I also find it odd that neither the NCAA nor the A-10 has the source video posted, although I bet it's probably behind the A-10 Network paywall. 

Bonwich I can answer that as well. I do not have a twitter account but I can see this video in my computer from this link. I find I can access twitter feeds if someone provides a link to get to the proper place. I have never attempted to enter twitter first and then navigate it myself.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, wgstl said:

very unfamiliar with college soccer, but how does he compare to lets say Kristo?  Better?

Kristo is a high target to aim at.  Kristo was A10 All Conference, a NSCAA All American, a Hermann Trophy Semifinalist, and in his 4 year career, was 2nd in points across the NCAA for all players in that same time frame.  So that is a pretty high standard. Kristo was GOOD.

Kristo played striker for SLU, while Saadiq is a midfielder.  So a direct comparison needs to factor in different rolls.  Kristo had a better freshman year numbers wise than Saadiq, 6 goals, 2 assists to 3 goals, 1 assist.  Kristo was A10 Rookie of the week once, and Saadiq won the same honor two times and was also on the A10 All Rookie team [as was Kristo his first year].

Saadiq is the 2016 recipient of the Carl O. Bauer Award, presented by the Missouri Athletic Club. Mohammed received the honor Monday, at the Jack Buck Awards at the MAC.   

Bottom line wgstl, give Saadiq another three years and then relook at his career alongside of Kristo's.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Kristo is a high target to aim at.  Kristo was A10 All Conference, a NSCAA All American, a Hermann Trophy Semifinalist, and in his 4 year career, was 2nd in points across the NCAA for all players in that same time frame.  So that is a pretty high standard. Kristo was GOOD.

Kristo played striker for SLU, while Saadiq is a midfielder.  So a direct comparison needs to factor in different rolls.  Kristo had a better freshman year numbers wise than Saadiq, 6 goals, 2 assists to 3 goals, 1 assist.  Kristo was A10 Rookie of the week once, and Saadiq won the same honor two times and was also on the A10 All Rookie team [as was Kristo his first year].

Saadiq is the 2016 recipient of the Carl O. Bauer Award, presented by the Missouri Athletic Club. Mohammed received the honor Monday, at the Jack Buck Awards at the MAC.   

Bottom line wgstl, give Saadiq another three years and then relook at his career alongside of Kristo's.

If Kristo is so good where is he now?

Languishing in the third Division of German soccer.

oh by the way, Kristo has ZERO NCAA titles. Zero College Cups. ZeroQusrterfinal appearances.

Goid players make the players around them better. Kristo couldn't do that.

He wasn't that good then.

People just can't help themselves. They keep engaging him. It's no different than SLU Talk on the Post's website. I quit going there long ago but I assume he's still there with 7 or 8 socks. Or maybe he's here now because he ain't getting the love over there anymore.