Athlon's Magazine is out

GMan Alum

I think it is safe to say that Coach Ford won't be sending Athlon a Christmas Card this year.  In an article they discuss coaches who have changed jobs Ford is not listed under the "10 Big Time Hires", but rather in the "Retreads" section, which begins, "It's hard to figure what Saint Louis saw in Ford", and then denigrates his time at Ok. State and his failure to have more success in the NCAA tournament.  The magazine does show praise for the hiring of Bryce Drew and Kevin Stallings.

SLU is picked to finish 12th (ahead of on Duquesne and George Mason).  They do speak positively of those returning and compliments Ford, despite his late recruiting start, to landing Jalen Johnson and three transfers.

Anyway, can't wait to get this season started, even if there will be struggles.  The future is bright.  Maybe the new mascot should travel with the team to creep out the other teams' players.

GMan Alum, as you will find out  sooner or later journalism is a profession where accuracy and reality have little to do with what is actually written and published. A good rule of thumb: if it does not agree with what you think just discard it. This may not achieve much in terms of its wide world effect, but it will certainly make you much happier. I am referring to the Athlon magazine.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

GMan Alum, as you will find out  sooner or later journalism is a profession where accuracy and reality have little to do with what is actually written and published. A good rule of thumb: if it does not agree with what you think just discard it. This may not achieve much in terms of its wide world effect, but it will certainly make you much happier. I am referring to the Athlon magazine.

200_s.gif

Actually it is not that kind of burger that I am serving here, and it is not something from the coo coo's nest either. In fact our  esteemed Senator Claire McCaskill has been known to state it this way (this is a loose approximation of what I remember she told us the last time she was running): "We live in a day and age of proliferation of media and media based information where people read the news for affirmation not for information." So there. You are following the way the bulk of the population treat news if you discard anything that does not affirm your beliefs. It does not matter what the news may actually be; if it fits you (plural you) wear it, otherwise discard it. Of course this creates a wide opening into the world of spinning, really large scale spinning. Perhaps Disney's dictum: "Dream, dream, and your dream will come true." should be updated to a more current and appropriate version of: "Spin, spin, and your dream will come true"... or not. What a crazy world it has become.

Oh, and by the way JohnnyJumpUp, I loved that movie. 

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am afraid that I am mostly serious in what I post here. However, as I just mentioned, if what I say does not fit you, just discard it. As Taj mentioned, I can be taken as a  ______ (your own blank to fill any way you wish), or as a source of knowledge. Your choice.

Thanks Old guy, now I know. But you are having a little bit of fun, right? I am annoyed by most people, so I don't have any reason to ignore your posts.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

You are following the way the bulk of the population treat news if you discard anything that does not affirm your beliefs.

Oldguy, you are one of my favorites, but I have to admit I am a little slow on the uptake here. Are you saying the above is a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally, if we finish ahead of two whole teams in the A10, I will have zero complaints about the on court performance this year.

On 9/30/2016 at 10:49 AM, hsmith19 said:

Are you saying the above is a good thing or a bad thing?

To hsmith19. Personally, I think too many people try to conform to popular dictums, as expressed in the press and the media. I think it is liberating to be able to feel comfortable within your own skin and within your own means and be able to shut down the popular pressure to conform. From that point of view I think it is a good thing, a very good thing indeed. For example, your decision to be an urban pioneer and act on it should be quite liberating to you, despite any disappointments that you know you will encounter in the way. It is a way to say to others I do what I say I will do, and will continue doing it. A very Martin Luther (Reformation era) and Martin Luther King (contemporary) thing to do. Taking a step to be you, instead of a faceless follower of slogans is always a good thing.