Billiken's Soccer vs. Louisville

kwyjibo

SLU has a big game against Louisville and a big reveal of the new mascot (some people have questioned the timing but it was obviously set as a cross-promotion with Christopher Guest's new Netflix movie "Mascots").  After losing to Denver SLU is 1-2-2 and not mentioned in the polls.  But because they have played the most difficult schedule (#1 SOS in RPI and soon to be #1 in Massey computer rankings) they are very much in the hunt for an at-large NCAA bid.  Beating a top 5 Louisville would make their way much easier but regardless they have an excellent shot if they play well in their remaining A-10/Big10 schedule.  It goes to show how important scheduling is as SLU might not have been an at-large last year even if they ran the table in A-10.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The tuxedo one isn't the 60's-70's as the picture suggests.  That picture is the mid or early 80's.

I don't believe I am mistaken in clearly remembering a picture from the 80's of Tuxedo Billiken with a "Baby" Billiken costumed mascot hanging in Humps.

The Tuxedo Billiken was used into the early 80's but that picture is a slightly different Tuxedo Billiken than was used at the end.  I am not positive about the head but the tuxedo was different.  You can tell that is taken in Old Kiel but the banners make me think it is pre-Grawer as well (there were no advertising banners up there after Grawer--again not 100% sure about Grawer's first year but definitely not the next 2 years before the new Billiken came).

Lost in the mascot excitement ...there actually was a soccer game.  It is kind of early for me to post ( baseball season is not over yet) and I am not a soccer expert but I will give you my review. 

The Bills were missing in action for the first 30 min of the game. Like the crowd , they were watching the game.  After 30 min, the Cards led 1-0...out shot the Bills 5-1 and controlled the ball for about 90% of the time keeping the Bills bottled up in their own end..  With 15 min left in the half the Bills suddenly came to life and played Louisville even the rest of the half. They even scored a goal....later called back on an offsides....one of a number of calls to go against the Bills.  The final 15 min SOG were 1-1 with possession 50-50. The 2nd half belonged to the Bills. While SOG were even at 5-5,  the Bills kept control of the ball about 2/3 of the time.  In the final 10 min SLU had a couple of breakaways and were taken down with no calls by the refs. Needless to say the home town fans were upset.

Had the Bills played the first 30 min like they played the 2nd half they would have won the game.

Bottomline....Louisville is a very good team...I believe they are ranked 13th. Experienced , good athletes. ...Yet we played them even or better for 2/3 of the game. I think this bodes well for the team.. If they play with a little more energy particularly from the start of the game,, they will be fine this season.

How telling is it that the majority of posts are about the new Billikens?

No one cares about SLU soccer anymore.

They are 1-3-2. Five points out of a possible eighteen. Not a good start at all.

What happened to the kid who played for his country's national team in Africa? A great story but obviously he isn't very good.

The rest of the foreigners must not be very good either (if they were good they would be playing professionally in Europe not at SLU).

How sad the program has been allowed to fall so far.

They will not get an at large bid as they will finish under .500.

No matter how tough your strength of schedule is. By the way that will be severely hampered by playing in the A-10.

5 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

They are 1-3-2. Five points out of a possible eighteen. Not a good start at all.

What happened to the kid who played for his country's national team in Africa? A great story but obviously he isn't very good.

The rest of the foreigners must not be very good either (if they were good they would be playing professionally in Europe not at SLU).

How sad the program has been allowed to fall so far.

They will not get an at large bid as they will finish under .500.

No matter how tough your strength of schedule is. By the way that will be severely hampered by playing in the A-10.

Biscuits and gravy.

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

You do realize Tulsa and Marquette are the only unranked teams we've played. I'm not ecstatic about our record either, but we've played some possible final four teams in Wake Forest, Louisville, North Carolina, and Denver.

They were 8-7-2 last year.

What makes you think they will be better this year?

I love it when people say but the schedule has been hard. You lost three of those hard games.

What happens when they lose to unranked teams this year?

13 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Congratulations - you are the first person this foreigner has ever put on the 'ignore' list. Ever. In any forum. I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt. But the post I partially quoted really says you are who a lot of people on this board say you are. Glad you follow the soccer team, but sorry you can't be constructive.