Bilikens Top Catholic School in Invite (Cross Country)

HoosierPal

Congratulations to the running Bills for winning the National Catholic Cross Country Invitational at Notre Dame.  The Irish just couldn't keep up with the Bills, as our Bills won the event easily with 52 points.  ND was a distant second with 70 points barely holding off Dayton with 76 points.  Top finishers for the Bills were Matt Prest (4th overall) with a time of 24:24 over the 5 mile course, and Manuel DeBacker (5th) 1.7 seconds behind Prest.  (That's averaging 5:05 per mile folks!)

http://www.und.com/sports/c-xc/recaps/091616aab.html

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211173666

This is a really cool event, actually. ND hosts it every year for Catholic programs around the country across all divisions. My brother-in-law ran in it while he was at John Carroll and got to reunite with former teammates who ran at SLU and ND (they went to St. Xavier HS in Cincy).

• 2 weeks later...

Last week SLU's Men's Cross Country team was in the regional rankings for the first time ever.  I looked today and they are no longer ranked.  So I assumed they had a bad race this weekend.  I looked and noticed they lost in dual meet to SIU-E by one point (this meet also had teams from other divisions running but the scoring is kept separate) so that was undoubtedly why they lost their ranking.  But then I looked at the times and the names for the top SLU runners and noticed something was amiss.  It turns out SLU raced without their 5 best runners (perhaps they entered a different non-collegiate race) intentionally in order to get their 6-12 runners a little bit more experience running when you matter (in cross country 5 runners places out of the team of 7 create the score).  This may bode well for their future but obviously the coaches poll dropped them because of worse than expected results.  There are lots of reasons why a coach would do this (probably felt his better runners would not have enough competition) and polls do not make you run faster but it is an interesting impact of a choice to improve the team.

On September 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM, HoosierPal said:

Congratulations to the running Bills for winning the National Catholic Cross Country Invitational at Notre Dame.  The Irish just couldn't keep up with the Bills, as our Bills won the event easily with 52 points.  ND was a distant second with 70 points barely holding off Dayton with 76 points.  Top finishers for the Bills were Matt Prest (4th overall) with a time of 24:24 over the 5 mile course, and Manuel DeBacker (5th) 1.7 seconds behind Prest.  (That's averaging 5:05 per mile folks!)

What can you say about cross country.

18 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

Last week SLU's Men's Cross Country team was in the regional rankings for the first time ever.  I looked today and they are no longer ranked.  So I assumed they had a bad race this weekend.  I looked and noticed they lost in dual meet to SIU-E by one point (this meet also had teams from other divisions running but the scoring is kept separate) so that was undoubtedly why they lost their ranking.  But then I looked at the times and the names for the top SLU runners and noticed something was amiss.  It turns out SLU raced without their 5 best runners (perhaps they entered a different non-collegiate race) intentionally in order to get their 6-12 runners a little bit more experience running when you matter (in cross country 5 runners places out of the team of 7 create the score).  This may bode well for their future but obviously the coaches poll dropped them because of worse than expected results.  There are lots of reasons why a coach would do this (probably felt his better runners would not have enough competition) and polls do not make you run faster but it is an interesting impact of a choice to improve the team.

Looks like you are right.  Here is what Coach Bell said.  Basically, they ran the B team.

"Today's meet was a great opportunity for our younger student athletes to gain some experience,” SLU head coach Jon Bell said. “Our freshmen women got their first chance to race 6K. For the men, we were able to run a different lineup to get them experience in our scoring five. As a staff we are pleased with the progress this group of student athletes has made thus far. From day one of the season we have prioritized the conference championships. We knew going into this weekend we would be running a different lineup, but we made sure our program got better, and the athletes who raced today did exactly that."

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Looks like you are right.  Here is what Coach Bell said.  Basically, they ran the B team.

"Today's meet was a great opportunity for our younger student athletes to gain some experience,” SLU head coach Jon Bell said. “Our freshmen women got their first chance to race 6K. For the men, we were able to run a different lineup to get them experience in our scoring five. As a staff we are pleased with the progress this group of student athletes has made thus far. From day one of the season we have prioritized the conference championships. We knew going into this weekend we would be running a different lineup, but we made sure our program got better, and the athletes who raced today did exactly that."

They really answered the Bell, those XC'ers! Good job! The running of the Bills!

17 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Perhaps more than the men's soccer program?

Absolutely. Not sure what noteriety a winning cross country team gets a school, probably not much.

havent seen too many highlights of cross country on SportsCenter.

Cross Country is certainly the premier sport at SLU. Not sure what that says about SLU.

11 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

So instead of talking about the women's soccer team being ranked #3 and beating a conference opponent this week, he bumps a random three week old thread to start trolling a whole new sport. That's diversifying, I guess.

Have no idea what you are talking about?  Is TrollPants back? 

Running is the #1 sport/activity in the world.  More people run than play soccer.

3 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

So instead of talking about the women's soccer team being ranked #3 and beating a conference opponent this week, he bumps a random three week old thread to start trolling a whole new sport. That's diversifying, I guess.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/nscaa-coaches

where are the women ranked number 3?

Here is the Top 20 and I don't see them ranked anywhere?