New Billiken to be revealed

DoctorB

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I thought this might be a Billikens.com overreaction. 

The SLU facebook page posted the video. There are currently 362 comments on it. There are two non-hating comments out of 362. And one of those was an old lady saying "great video!"

might be be a new incompetency low for Chris May. 

22 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Here I thought this might be a Billikens.com overreaction. 

The SLU facebook page posted the video. There are currently 362 comments on it. There are two non-hating comments out of 362. And one of those was an old lady saying "great video!"

might be be a new incompetency low for Chris May. 

I would love to be in the room for the "Welp, that didn't go well..." meeting.

Overheard at tonight's game.....

"Mommy, I don't want to meet the lizard."

All I can say is the pictures don't do it justice.  It is way worse in person. The pictures posted are actually passable compared to up close and personal.

This reminds of a dragon I conjured up a few centuries ago.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

All I can say is the pictures don't do it justice.  It is way worse in person. The pictures posted are actually passable compared to up close and personal.

I figured it out. The pictures that don't look as bad are on a white or off-white backdrop. That makes the two-tone face not stick out as much. The problem is that backdrop isn't going to be there any other times. The pictures from the soccer game tonight look absolutely abysmal.

Maybe we'll get used to it, but at the moment, this is a huge failure for SLU.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I would love to be in the room for the "Welp, that didn't go well..." meeting.

If they made video access to it on a livestream available only via a $20 donation, they'd probably have their best fundraising day in years.

Been awhile.  I love this mascot because of all that has been said.  It is creepy as hell, but it is a Billiken, it is supposed to be f___ing crazy.  No non-SLU grad hears Billiken and thinks that is a run-of-the-mill mascot.  

Little tired of the giant freak headed goblin that had a little too much to drink.  The maniac serial-killer sharp-edged muppet look is pretty cool.  Not sure about the two toned face because it is a little gimmicky and takes away from the crazy eye.  Probably fine, because it looks like it would be good on a logo.  Not a big fan of giant heads anyway.  Makes the mascot look like a cartoon for a 2 year old.  

I am not being sarcastic.  I mean compared to a bear or tiger mascot that looks like it should be one of the stuffed animals in my kids bed, this thing is pretty awesome.  Nobody knows what the heck it is, but you have the feeling it will kill any other mascot it runs across.  

From the post dispatch article, Pestello said

"(Students) pushed for a Billiken that was a little more contemporary. More aggressive looking, but still smiling and giving that knowing wink."

-----------------

That's been the company line on the logo, but frankly the students aren't really the target audience for a mascot. 

You know, the two toned face kind of reminded me of Braveheart.  Starting to like this too.  I thought, why is it grey, but blue would take away from the crazy eye.  Give it a battle ax and it can stand in a shield wall. It is not gaudy like the Maryland flag.  

The jaws look like they can swallow you whole like a snake.  This thing could open its jaws and bite your head off.   

How does everybody on here not love it?  

4 minutes ago, Archy McNally said:

You know, the two toned face kind of reminded me of Braveheart.  Starting to like this too.  I thought, why is it grey, but blue would take away from the crazy eye.  Give it a battle ax and it can stand in a shield wall. It is not gaudy like the Maryland flag.  

The jaws look like they can swallow you whole like a snake.  This thing could open its jaws and bite your head off.   

How does everybody on here not love it?  

How much are they paying you?  Shut up with the broccoli.