New Billiken to be revealed

DoctorB

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

You do know that Crystal Pepsi was Pepsico's big summer promotion, don't you, Bobby?

http://bit.ly/2932XYY

www.crystalpepsi.net 

One of my old colleagues, an engineer, used to say that my marketing job involved gilding turds. 

Must not have "played in Peoria." :)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Around 10 years ago, Marquette decided to look into changing their team name. Some people wanted a return to the Warriors, others may have wanted something else. They announced they were changing the name to the Marquette Gold. After a few days/weeks of negative feedback, they went back to the Golden Eagles.

The thing about the Marquette situation was that they had a historic nickname they could have tapped and they failed... During the early years of Marquette sports, their football team, which was quite good, was known as the "Golden Avalanche." Why in God's name they didn't revert to this nickname is beyond me... The Golden Avalanche is a far better name than "Warriors" and it has historical precedent.

I also thought they could have just kept the Warriors moniker and got rid of all the Native American imagery. My mother, a Marquette alum, still refers to them as the Warriors completely out of habit.

Marqutte vs SLU.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is going to be a university project now. I believe that if pestello felt the social outcry was bad enough that he needed to take control and fix the mistake that he very well could seek public opinion on potential designs. 

I have heard (albeit second hand) per an athletic department employee that the new Billiken will be in place by the basketball season.

Again, I posted this before, in matters like branding and image the more you do focus group research, the more you strive to achieve a representation of the popular consensus of opinion, the more bland and bleh the result will be. If you really want to change the image of the University you have to take a fresh approach. After all, you cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs. In the early 1970's GM was the largest and richest corporation in the world. Nowadays, let's say they are not. Simply stated you cannot sell basically the same car with different bodies in different price points forever, and you  cannot make all the products in a line of car look the same or close to the same and continue growth forever. I hope they come with something that is still a bit of a shock to those that see it. 

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Again, I posted this before, in matters like branding and image the more you do focus group research, the more you strive to achieve a representation of the popular consensus of opinion, the more bland and bleh the result will be. If you really want to change the image of the University you have to take a fresh approach. After all, you cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs. In the early 1970's GM was the largest and richest corporation in the world. Nowadays, let's say they are not. Simply stated you cannot sell basically the same car with different bodies in different price points forever, and you  cannot make all the products in a line of car look the same or close to the same and continue growth forever. I hope they come with something that is still a bit of a shock to those that see it. 

So you don't think it's gonna look like a Camaro?

10 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Getting public opinion on the mascot isn't necessarily bad, but just taking the public vote on a bunch of different features and then lumping them together strikes me as having the potential to result in another bad / nightmarish mascot.

That being said, it seems they are sticking with the basic structure of the current new mascot and only changing a few things (color, eyes, hair, mouth).

For the record I went with:

-all white

-thin eyebrow non-fierce, non-winking eyes (option D, not sure if those are randomized)

-actual tuft of hair (not built into head)

-closed mouth