New Billiken to be revealed

DoctorB

14 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

sounds like the new Billiken might be changed?

Maybe they did this in a twisted "reverse psychology..."

Fred: Let's make the Billiken so hideous that we get tens of media stories (essentially free advertising) and clicks and get people talking about SLU <<does Mr. Burns-esque finger tapping>>>.

Marketing Guy: I'm not sure you get the premise of branding/marketing and mascots.

Fred: I'm signing your check, right?

Marketing Guy: Ok, people. Do what the man said.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is very good news. I am incredibly shocked but it seems as though pestello has taken the reigns of the new billiken project from the AD. 

My only issue is that most of the "advice" can only be changed by the actions of the the person inside the mascot not the actually suit/head.

Great insight 05.  Also who listens to Okapis?  They are full of sh@t so are Llamas, I f*&KN hate Llamas.  Can not be trusted.

Edited by TheA_Bomb
mistakenly besmearched Alapacas and I really meant Llamas. Llamas should die, alpacas are cool

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Great insight 05.  Also who listens to Okapis?  They are full of sh@t so are Alpacas, I f*&KN hate Alpacas.  Can not be trusted.

My ex-wife loves alpacas.  All the proof I need that alpacas are worthless pieces of sh*t and cannot be trusted.

Just now, moytoy12 said:

My ex-wife loves alpacas.  All the proof I need that alpacas are worthless pieces of sh*t and cannot be trusted.

Are you sure they aren't llamas?   Cause I accidentally wrote Alapacas when I meant Llamas.

Also don't you think 05 offered some great insight?

Anyone need ACL Second weekend wristband?  I'm selling mine, if you're a good SLU fan, you can stay in my apartment too, it's walking distance to the fest.  Hit me up.  

6 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Good to know the president is getting his advice from a seal, a llama, a lion and a polar bear....That video looks like a bad Saturday Night Live skit. Can't wait to see him at Westport at the funny bone. Hysterical. 

I'd trust those opinions over Chris May and his staff that botched this whole rebrand from start to finish. 

I do not think Dr.  Pestello is getting advice from Llamas, lions or polar bears. However whoever  he got advice from in this regard, he just nodded his head up and down and signed the contract. Now that he is getting a backlash questioning the new mascot, he is rapidly turning tail and running to get things redone (at probably increased cost). This is not good for someone in his position, when he makes up his mind he should stick with it. This is one thing Biondi had no trouble at all with, the problem is that Biondi did not get any advice from anyone that did not agree with him in the first place. In other words seeking consensus is fine, turning around when you get negative comments is not. 

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not think Dr.  Pestello is getting advice from Llamas, lions or polar bears. However whoever  he got advice from in this regard, he just nodded his head up and down and signed the contract. Now that he is getting a backlash questioning the new mascot, he is rapidly turning tail and running to get things redone (at probably increased cost). This is not good for someone in his position, when he makes up his mind he should stick with it. This is one thing Biondi had no trouble at all with, the problem is that Biondi did not get any advice from anyone that did not agree with him in the first place. In other words seeking consensus is fine, turning around when you get negative comments is not. 

For some things, I'd agree. Mascots and team names, on the other hand, are things that can be easily changed if they are unpopular. Here are a few examples:

Around 10 years ago, Marquette decided to look into changing their team name. Some people wanted a return to the Warriors, others may have wanted something else. They announced they were changing the name to the Marquette Gold. After a few days/weeks of negative feedback, they went back to the Golden Eagles.

Another example is Oregon. For years, their mascot was the lovable Donald/Puddles, a Donald Duck lookalike. They decided to toughen up their mascot. The result was a muscular duck known as Duck Vader/Mandrake/Roboduck. It lasted longer than the Marquette Gold or the new Billiken, but it didn't last long. Eventually, they brought Puddles back.

8 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

For some things, I'd agree. Mascots and team names, on the other hand, are things that can be easily changed if they are unpopular. Here are a few examples:

Around 10 years ago, Marquette decided to look into changing their team name. Some people wanted a return to the Warriors, others may have wanted something else. They announced they were changing the name to the Marquette Gold. After a few days/weeks of negative feedback, they went back to the Golden Eagles.

Another example is Oregon. For years, their mascot was the lovable Donald/Puddles, a Donald Duck lookalike. They decided to toughen up their mascot. The result was a muscular duck known as Duck Vader/Mandrake/Roboduck. It lasted longer than the Marquette Gold or the new Billiken, but it didn't last long. Eventually, they brought Puddles back.

For some insane reason this is a big bone of contention. A few years back Ole Miss changed its past mascot, Colonel Reb, a slave owner, to a cuddly bear. I was at the Georgia-Ole Miss game 2 weeks ago and when I walked around the Grove (where they tail gate) prior to the game I seen plenty of old Colonel Rebs around (banners & fans dressed in Colonel Reb garb-you could have your picture taken with him) and not many bears. 

A great mind once said - insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results - perhaps I paraphrase.  This mascot thing is really nothing about nothing.  If you are going to be a leader who is going to change your mind on something then this is the one to do it on.  It actually shows that the man has some flexibility and is not all top down.  Why antagonize people over something that simply is not that big a deal.  I think he is going about making lemonade out of lemons pretty well regarding this issue.  He is having fun with it and now has managed to keep our interest by doing this little video.  As DeSmet Billiken pointed out, we are not the only school that has gotten it wrong so lets not turn this into a referendum on the president's leadership decisions.  In an earlier post I pointed out that when we play big games on TV that go to regions or nationally, many of the announcers made fun of the mascot so lets not make out that the old Billiken was so great.  Everybody just chill and keep a proper perspective.

Again: New Coke didn't harm Coca-Cola in the long run and became a symbol for a boneheaded move and the ability of a large corporation to acknowledge public opinion and respond to its customers' wishes/demands - not a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Again: New Coke didn't harm Coca-Cola in the long run and became a symbol for a boneheaded move and the ability of a large corporation to acknowledge public opinion and respond to its customers' wishes/demands - not a bad thing.

300px-Crystal_Pepsi_Cristal_Canada.jpg

But Crystal Pepsi, on the other hand...

10 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Obligatory reference (Marquette fan in a huff0721051gold1.jpg-Gold!)

Despite the repeated criticism SLU and its athletic department receive for their marketing efforts, kudos should be given to the internal group who is leading the social media marketing associated with Dr. Pestello. Whether real or staged, the brand equity they are building by presenting a humble, approachable leader who uses humor and self-deprecation--with no hint of defensiveness--to regularly engage via social media is just what the university needed coming out of the Biondi era. Whether it is Dr. Pestello's idea or he is just a good sport to embrace it and play along, he should be applauded. The zoo skit and decision to re-brand the mascot was yet another great example. Thankfully, local and some national media are taking notice and covering it. 

8 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Despite the repeated criticism SLU and its athletic department receive for their marketing efforts, kudos should be given to the internal group who is leading the social media marketing associated with Dr. Pestello. Whether real or staged, the brand equity they are building by presenting a humble, approachable leader who uses humor and self-deprecation--with no hint of defensiveness--to regularly engage via social media is just what the university needed coming out of the Biondi era. Whether it is Dr. Pestello's idea or he is just a good sport to embrace it and play along, he should be applauded. The zoo skit and decision to re-brand the mascot was yet another great example. Thankfully, local and some national media are taking notice and covering it. 

Yeah, today Pestello is responding to tweets using animal puns.