New Billiken to be revealed

DoctorB

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Waited until I read all the comments before putting my two cents in.  The face is not that bad.  The costume is not that bad.  The new logo is in line with modern trends and the mascot needs to match it.

That being said, the big, big, big mistake was the two-tones.  If you take what is there and just make it all gray or all white, I think it would be much better.  You would see that he is smiling rather than it appearing that he wants to bite whomever is nearest.

Another mistake was that video they put out.  Watch it again.  Why did they make it look like a movie trailer that was introducing a villain?  The music was ominous and the way the Billiken turned and faced the camera at the end sent chills up my spine.  Just show the Billiken bouncing up to some kids for a picture.  Show the kids smiling and not freaking out or crying and they would have immediately softened the image.  Instead, they made a video that looks like you're getting your first look at Hannibal Lecter's face.

The Athletic Department can fix this by losing the two color face.  It will show everyone that they care enough about the concerns of the fan base to take action.  At the same time, they will still get their newer, more modern logo personified as a mascot. 

Agreed. It's not good at the moment, but it's not too far from being OK. I'd actually argue that everything but the head is an improvement. 

Unfortunately, I'm not overly optimistic that SLU will do anything to fix it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Tilkowsky said:

Thank you. 

Still doesn't explain Notre Dame, USC, Syracuse, Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, TCU and a whole bunch of other schools.

I have better things to do than be your Google searcher. I found the Florida article by searching "Florida Gator mascot change". I have confidence that you can do similar searches for those other schools.

36 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I have better things to do than be your Google searcher. I found the Florida article by searching "Florida Gator mascot change". I have confidence that you can do similar searches for those other schools.

DeSmet you got me interested in this topic, and since I am well versed in how to Google, (I stay at Holiday Inn Express)  I took a look at mascot changes based on only one criteria, changing from a Native American Indian name.  I found 11 recent changes, (with the associated change of mascots)  There are three others, including the Illini, that have changed their mascot but retained the Native American Indian nickname.  Chief Illiniwek is gone, but Fighting Illini remain.  From a pure change of mascot for any reason, there were too many to count.

Dr. Pestello has been having a freakin' field day with this. (As have I. Or at least he's validated my miserable existence.)

Anyway, as SignGuy says above, the social media has been exemplary. 

Fred P. Pestello Retweeted Joe Bonwich

You haven't heard? @The_Billiken is in the next season of Stranger Things.

Fred P. Pestello added,

Cs4OfR9XgAELE6r.jpg
Joe Bonwich @JoeBonwich
I think at least 1 of original Exorcists is still alive and might even live on campus. @SLUPresident @SLU_Official

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's about to get more interesting....stay tuned.

Mostly I speak in kinda joking about firing Chris May and similar acts. But either way this latest snafu has only two possible causes. 

1. If they change it - it shows their is way too much group think and no one in the administration that has the sense to speak up and say "wow this is awful!" A lot of other things that have occurred with this AD would also go towards this theory. 

2. If they don't change it or do anything- this is an athletic department that has zero clue what their fan base and potential fan base likes or wants. 

Both things could alsi also be true , but regardless this has been quite the fuok up. 

9 minutes ago, LongLiveLisch said:

Putting as little effort into this as required, I think this would be a better representation of the new logo:

NewBillikenModified.jpg

You'd still need to leave room to see, probably white mesh above the mouth.  The open mouth makes it look like pokemon. 

This doesn't look bad at all (beside the amateurly made and smallish size of the head. 

22 minutes ago, LongLiveLisch said:

Putting as little effort into this as required, I think this would be a better representation of the new logo:

NewBillikenModified.jpg

You'd still need to leave room to see, probably white mesh above the mouth.  The open mouth makes it look like pokemon. 

That would be cool.