New Billiken to be revealed

DoctorB

I like the new logo. It doesn't work as a 3-dimensional mascot head. The two tones with the permanent wink and open mouth are just kind of upsetting. The Billiken logo has had some pretty cool iterations over the years but they've never gotten the mascot quite right (the Kiel Auditorium era one - WTF? I'm not sure I've seen that one before, the one before the tuxedo version, the one with the sinking eyelids. Holy smokes, he looks like he's whacked out of his gourd on psychadelics.)

I said recently on this board that one of my favorite Billiken gameday experiences is seeing young kids react in horror to the Billiken. They've upped the ante in that regard.

People are right in that he looks too much like TCU's Horned Frog or Two Face from the Batman comics. He looks like a mascot a tobacco company would come up with to get kids to smoke, unintentionally revealing the darkness of their intentions instead of becoming more appealing to kids.

This is the kind of tone-deaf attempt to modernize something with "attitude", like adding Poochie to Itchy & Scratchy.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

From the post dispatch article, Pestello said

"(Students) pushed for a Billiken that was a little more contemporary. More aggressive looking, but still smiling and giving that knowing wink."

-----------------

That's been the company line on the logo, but frankly the students aren't really the target audience for a mascot. 

He needs to stick to academics.

A SLU official was quoted as saying schools change their mascot every eight years or so.

Have the Florida Gators changed their mascot?

Have The Florida State Seminoles changed their mascot?

How about the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame?

University of Southern California Trojans?

Syracuse Orangemen?

Iowa Hawkeyes?

Arkansas Razorbacks?

Texas Longhorns?

interesting.

29 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

A SLU official was quoted as saying schools change their mascot every eight years or so.

Syracuse Orangemen?

Iowa Hawkeyes?

Arkansas Razorbacks?

Texas Longhorns?

interesting.

Florida changed their mascots last year.

Florida State changed their mascot about 2 years ago.

Arkansas has altered their mascot multiple times in the past.

I could keep going. 

44 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

Florida changed their mascots last year.

Florida State changed their mascot about 2 years ago.

Arkansas has altered their mascot multiple times in the past.

I could keep going. 

And ND's "mascot" is just whoever happens to be the most glow-in-the-dark, gingery, leprechaun-looking guy on campus dressed up in a green suit. It changes every year or two.

2 hours ago, Archy McNally said:

You know, the two toned face kind of reminded me of Braveheart.  Starting to like this too.  I thought, why is it grey, but blue would take away from the crazy eye.  Give it a battle ax and it can stand in a shield wall. It is not gaudy like the Maryland flag.  

The jaws look like they can swallow you whole like a snake.  This thing could open its jaws and bite your head off.   

How does everybody on here not love it?  

Less like Braveheart, more like bellidge Mel Gibson calling the arresting officer "sugartits" and threatening to bury people in the rose garden if they take too long to blow him.

3 hours ago, Archy McNally said:

Been awhile.  I love this mascot because of all that has been said.  It is creepy as hell, but it is a Billiken, it is supposed to be f___ing crazy.  No non-SLU grad hears Billiken and thinks that is a run-of-the-mill mascot.  

Little tired of the giant freak headed goblin that had a little too much to drink.  The maniac serial-killer sharp-edged muppet look is pretty cool.  Not sure about the two toned face because it is a little gimmicky and takes away from the crazy eye.  Probably fine, because it looks like it would be good on a logo.  Not a big fan of giant heads anyway.  Makes the mascot look like a cartoon for a 2 year old.  

I am not being sarcastic.  I mean compared to a bear or tiger mascot that looks like it should be one of the stuffed animals in my kids bed, this thing is pretty awesome.  Nobody knows what the heck it is, but you have the feeling it will kill any other mascot it runs across.  

I'm leaning in this direction.

The mascot is fuocked up.

Let's embrace the fuocked-upedness of our mascot.

I think the two-tone face was a mistake, but I'm starting to appreciate its overall weirdness.

29 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I'm leaning in this direction.

The mascot is fuocked up.

Let's embrace the fuocked-upedness of our mascot.

I think the two-tone face was a mistake, but I'm starting to appreciate its overall weirdness.

I am not saying it would make the mascot great, but the two-tone really screws up the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Syracuse Orangemen?

Iowa Hawkeyes?

Arkansas Razorbacks?

Texas Longhorns?

interesting.

Did Syracuse go from the Orangemen to the Orange?

Thumbs down, looks like the creature from the black lagoon, a cheap lost in space or 1960's Star Trek monster.

Total fail

Waited until I read all the comments before putting my two cents in.  The face is not that bad.  The costume is not that bad.  The new logo is in line with modern trends and the mascot needs to match it.

That being said, the big, big, big mistake was the two-tones.  If you take what is there and just make it all gray or all white, I think it would be much better.  You would see that he is smiling rather than it appearing that he wants to bite whomever is nearest.

Another mistake was that video they put out.  Watch it again.  Why did they make it look like a movie trailer that was introducing a villain?  The music was ominous and the way the Billiken turned and faced the camera at the end sent chills up my spine.  Just show the Billiken bouncing up to some kids for a picture.  Show the kids smiling and not freaking out or crying and they would have immediately softened the image.  Instead, they made a video that looks like you're getting your first look at Hannibal Lecter's face.

The Athletic Department can fix this by losing the two color face.  It will show everyone that they care enough about the concerns of the fan base to take action.  At the same time, they will still get their newer, more modern logo personified as a mascot.