Ford at Lorenzini's today?

DoctorB

Folks; I have a note here that Coach Ford will be at Lorenzini's today at 6pm -- ???  I do not find any confirmation on this site or the SLU athletic site--and not sure where I read this or saw the info--

Anyone have any info on this event--such as, what is it?  Did I dream this?? anyone going???

Sheesh!  I had to find my report on Tigerboard!  Apparently, there's a SLU grad who has always been more of a Tigers fan.  Who'da thunk?  And I can't understand how haughty some Mizzou fans get about playing other Missouri schools.  If I were inclined to get into an argument over on that morass, I'd point out that Mizzou has been so bad that Missouri State (who some Mizzou fans still look down their nose at to call them "SMS") ought to be feeling like they have no reason to play the Tigers.  And, not that I'd expect any Tigerboarders to understand, but SLU has every reason to avoid Missouri State, after the way they dissed Coach Rickma.

I graduated from SLU so I had a alumni event today where he discussed his plans to turn around SLU. I have to say but I think he is going to get SLU in ncaa contention pretty quickly. I asked him when they would start playing Mizzou and he laughed and said they have already asked but mizzou wants no part in playing them.. He said they're excuse is they already play a game in Saint Louis... Interesting to hear.. I would love to see a matchup between the two.  (Jeremy20 on TB)

(I suspect he meant to say, "I hate to say...")

I prefer playing the local schools, such as SEMO, UMKC, MU, and MSU over Samford, North Carolina A&T and Coastal Carolina any season.

I enjoy the two SIU teams on the schedule every year.

For me all of the local schools bring more interest in the game

With that said Ball St., BYU, Wichita St., Kansas St., and the Vegas tournament are great teams to have on the schedule.

-Rick said he would never schedule SMS or MOSU so I am fine if we never play them and if we play them so be it

-as to Mizzou, while I would like the payday I am not that concerned if we play them or not, would probably be a game that generates a lot of local interest   -  if we played them I would hate to see a third or more of our building be black and gold

These so called local teams do not really raise enough fans to make them a revenue producer for SLU.  If you schedule them over winter break perhaps but then you end up with the SMS situation a few years back where  the SLU students are home on break and many season tix holders gave their seats away to others because they were asked by friends and relatives as well as companies seats also snapped up.  At this point, I see little overall value to doing this.  Now is Samford a big draw no but at this stage of  the season we need wins not a couple of hundred fans who come to support or opponent,  I really could care less if we play Missouri or not - it would better then SMS but it does not really matter to me - I am past all that.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-Rick said he would never schedule SMS or MOSU so I am fine if we never play them and if we play them so be it

-as to Mizzou, while I would like the payday I am not that concerned if we play them or not, would probably be a game that generates a lot of local interest   -  if we played them I would hate to see a third or more of our building be black and gold

I would like to see MO State back on the schedule on a semi regular basis.

I spoke to Ford for a few minutes and picked his brain.  A few take aways..

1. I talked to him about the transfers already being with team and how it has helped.  He said, " They (the transfers) are on another level" 

2. I specifically asked him which players have showed the most improvement.  He said Neufeld had gained 15 lbs over the summer but got Mono a few weeks ago and lost all the weight. (Awesome).  He said Bishop has a chance, Roby is working hard and improving, and Reggie still has work to do but is working hard.  He specifically mentioned Elliot Welmer and has played well.  I thought this was a positive sign because he could end being a contributor down the road.

3.  One of the biggest things that I took away from the night was how motivational Ford is.  You can tell he is going to get the absolute most out his players.  I wanted to run through a wall after hearing his speech to the entire group.  He really had me pumped up for the next few years.  You can tell he's a workaholic who can relate to this generation of players.  The future is bright. 

20 minutes ago, billikenchomper4life said:

1. I talked to him about the transfers already being with team and how it has helped.  He said, " They (the transfers) are on another level" 

2. I specifically asked him which players have showed the most improvement.  He said Neufeld had gained 15 lbs over the summer but got Mono a few weeks ago and lost all the weight. (Awesome).  He said Bishop has a chance, Roby is working hard and improving, and Reggie still has work to do but is working hard.  He specifically mentioned Elliot Welmer and has played well.  I thought this was a positive sign because he could end being a contributor down the road.

3.  One of the biggest things that I took away from the night was how motivational Ford is.  You can tell he is going to get the absolute most out his players.  I wanted to run through a wall after hearing his speech to the entire group.  He really had me pumped up for the next few years.  You can tell he's a workaholic who can relate to this generation of players.  The future is bright. 

Sorry to see the bad news regarding Matt Neufeld.  Reggie Agbeko is a senior (and older than a typical senior).  If he isn't ready to break out with a career year, then I guess we've seen what we can expect: 7-8 ppg and 5-6 rpg with occasional spurts of double-doubles and some games when he's invisible.  Man, 2017-18 is going to be on another level for us fans: day and night compared to this season and the past two!

23 minutes ago, billikenchomper4life said:

-thanks for the report

Same thing applies from weight loss if you get the flu - it comes back pretty quick unless you consciously try to keep it off.  Where the issue comes is the lost stamina.  Mono can hang on for months as far as you tiring more easily.  If you play baseball or golf you can deal with it - basketball is another sport altogether because you have to go all out for longer periods of time.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:17 AM, almaman said:

on the short on bodies thing, the 3 stud transfers sitting out can practice with rest of the team this season correct?.

In addition, Dir. of Player Development Ford Stuen could suit up for practice, if needed.  He played for OSU the past four seasons, so he knows Uncle Ford's system.

Mono enlarges your spleen so it had increased chance to rupture so you got to avoid contact sports.

I know I had mono at SLU could last for a while. I know I rode that excuse and missed so many classes.