SLU Soccer Last Night

Taj79

.....and nary a peep on this board.  I watched it.  They look bad.  I don't see much in terms of skill.  There seems to be little ability to hold the ball and orchestrate plays.  And the back line clears balls with long-range desperation kicks right to the other team.  At least a 1 to 1 tie at home to Tulsa.  

On the bright side, Notre Dame will not go undefeated in football this year!

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

.....and nary a peep on this board.  I watched it.  They look bad.  I don't see much in terms of skill.  There seems to be little ability to hold the ball and orchestrate plays.  And the back line clears balls with long-range desperation kicks right to the other team.  At least a 1 to 1 tie at home to Tulsa.  

-The 1st half and OT weren't great halves and the Tulsa goal was really good soccer.

-Tulsa dominated play in the first, it didn't seem like they were really threatening to score other than their goal. 

-I thought SLU played their best soccer of the season in the second and their goal was a really good sequence of plays.

-I felt like during that time they were a very dangerous team and should probably have taken three points. 

-Per usual Otte was brilliant again.

-SLU outshot Tulsa and had the better scoring chances throughout the game.

Not a bad game...a great second half by the Billikens.

1,1XX in attendance...not bad for a holiday weekend.

The officials were wearing headsets...is that new this year?

Also, they serve beer now.  That was a good call though I wish they still had a pizza truck.

38 minutes ago, WUH said:

Not a bad game...a great second half by the Billikens.

1,1XX in attendance...not bad for a holiday weekend.

The officials were wearing headsets...is that new this year?

Also, they serve beer now.  That was a good call though I wish they still had a pizza truck.

They've always served beer. Used to sell really cheap cans before games.

Pretty much agree.  Besides Otte, Leinnart was the best SLU player all night.  He had a freakin' rip of a one-timer in the second half that had the goalie beat but it went just over the cross bar.  Tulsa's goal was a really nice sequence.  SLU almost had one late in the second with the ball ziping along the goal line - at least it looked that close from the other side of the field.

McGinty seems to still be trying to find a solid lineup.  Nothing looks locked down.  Nobody looks to be on the same page, especially when moving forward.  

Not impressed with our forwards...Brown hustles but in the first, he made a mistake in trying to slot one past the keeper from an angle when he should have dished over to the Brazilian forward who would have had an open goal.  The latter looks out of shape with too much baby fat to be effective up top against seasoned backs.  Curious to see Saar come in off the bench.  Why's Davies coming off the bench late as well?  Thought he looked solid last year.  Play through middle has been ugly.....nobody looks Graydon-esque.  Leinnart was manning the middle instead of his customary left back; he didn't look bad though.  Big kid to be running down the middle of the field.  

20 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

They've always served beer. Used to sell really cheap cans before games.

They could not have always served beer right?  The concession stand used to be operated by students, right?  I am not sure how I missed it but I guess I was too focused on the mediocre pizza truck...

In regards to soccer, I took a quick look at the A-10 conference today...it looks like this could be one of the worst seasons for A-10 soccer.  I know it is early, but has anyone looked closely at how the other teams are doing?

12 minutes ago, WUH said:

They could not have always served beer right?  The concession stand used to be operated by students, right?  I am not sure how I missed it but I guess I was too focused on the mediocre pizza truck...

In regards to soccer, I took a quick look at the A-10 conference today...it looks like this could be one of the worst seasons for A-10 soccer.  I know it is early, but has anyone looked closely at how the other teams are doing?

Dead serious, I think that they had a person in the back with the beer that would open the beer and hand it to the individual cashier to give to the customer. The law in Missouri allows for those under 21 to serve beer granted that they don't open the bottle or pour from a tap. They can pour from a pitcher, however. 

1 hour ago, WUH said:

It is bad but so far possibly a bit better than last year's horrible start.  The A-10 is at least losing to better teams (or so it seems this early).  Rhode Island has had a decent start (only losing to a very good UNH team).

On September 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Taj79 said:

Stlwaino is that you?

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dead serious, I think that they had a person in the back with the beer that would open the beer and hand it to the individual cashier to give to the customer. The law in Missouri allows for those under 21 to serve beer granted that they don't open the bottle or pour from a tap. They can pour from a pitcher, however. 

That is awesome!

2 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

It is bad but so far possibly a bit better than last year's horrible start.  The A-10 is at least losing to better teams (or so it seems this early).  Rhode Island has had a decent start (only losing to a very good UNH team).

Thanks for that.