SLU Soccer Rankings (Week 1)

kwyjibo

I am starting this because SLU did get votes at College Soccer News but is not in their top 30.  Top Drawer has UNC #1 and no votes for SLU.  Wake Forest is ranked in both but SLU's loss to UNC is greater weight now than "against the run of play" win over Wake.  I will update with other polls later in week and it is possible SLU will pick up votes with the coaches or Soccer America.  Both Dayton and VCU, the supposed other top A-10 teams lost both their games to less heralded teams--this is going to be a bad season and winning the A-10 championship for an NCAA bid may be a wide open race.

College Soccer News (RV, 40th):  http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/polls/csn-top-30-poll/948-college-soccer-news-top-30-national-poll-week-ending-august-28-2016

Top Drawer Soccer (no votes): http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

21 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

If someone had told me we would start the season beating the #5 away and losing to the #1 team away, I would have been ok with that.  Now we need to take down Tulsa.  

Are you concerned by the lack of possession by the team in both games?

They also gave away a shocking number of chances for their opponents in both games.

that needs to be fixed.

A split on the road against two top 10 teams on the opening weekend is a great start to the season. The UNC result was to be expected after a long road trip against two elite teams. Tulsa is always a challenge. Excited for the game. SLU still has a long way to go and they need to clean up their transition through the midfield, but the win over Wake should pay dividends later in the season.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

A split on the road against two top 10 teams on the opening weekend is a great start to the season. The UNC result was to be expected after a long road trip against two elite teams. Tulsa is always a challenge. Excited for the game. SLU still has a long way to go and they need to clean up their transition through the midfield, but the win over Wake should pay dividends later in the season.

Three days is a long road trip?

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Very good point.  People not familiar with college soccer don't realize how difficult it is to play two games in three days.  Sure, UNC did the same, but being at home is a huge factor.  Wise comment 13.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Very good point.  People not familiar with college soccer don't realize how difficult it is to play two games in three days.  Sure, UNC did the same, but being at home is a huge factor.  Wise comment 13.

Is this Division I soccer or CYC ball?

The good news is they don't have to play two games in three days the rest of the season.

Does that mean the excuse making is over?

42 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

2 games in 3 days on the first road trip of the year against two top 10 teams in the summer after a long preseason and school just starting. Yeah I'd say it's not easy.

SLU needs to play better and despite the win over Wake, they still have some work to do if they want to consistently win at a high level this season. The team is still getting used to playing as a group and McGinty will eventually need to stick with a group of 12 or 13 guys so some lesser results are to be expected, but like I said above, the win over Wake probably gives them some leeway in case they drop a game that they should have won along the way.

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

2 games in 3 days on the first road trip of the year against two top 10 teams in the summer after a long preseason and school just starting. Yeah I'd say it's not easy.

SLU needs to play better and despite the win over Wake, they still have some work to do if they want to consistently win at a high level this season. The team is still getting used to playing as a group and McGinty will eventually need to stick with a group of 12 or 13 guys so some lesser results are to be expected, but like I said above, the win over Wake probably gives them some leeway in case they drop a game that they should have won along the way.

Would you like to bet they don't make the NCAA tournament?