GDT: Soccer vs UNC (ESPN3)

Never seen  a fast break in soccer.  Now I have.  UNC 2 to 0.  Given what little I've seen of the Bills, two goals seem like a long climb for this squad.  Surprise me.

12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I'm not buying that.  They're 18-22 year old kids.  

The problem is if they can't play two games in a weekend that poses a problem for the rest of the season.

More disturbing for me was the fact in how they were dominated in both games even if they won one of those games.

Wake Forest was unlucky to score.

Might call into question their talent.

If they lose to Tulsa it could be a long year.

11 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

That was akin to a 40 point beat down in basketball.

UNC dominated for sure.  I could talk about a few positives (Otte) but mainly just want to say that the possession ability (and apparent possession skills) are distressing.  There is no midfield play at all.

39 minutes ago, William Iken said:

Why discuss the semantics, we all know why they lost. Two reasons: (1) too many foreigners; and (2) not enough players from St Louis. ;)

The foreigners aren't that good otherwise they would be playing professional soccer in Europe.

AJ Popovic from CBC the National High School Soccer Player of the Year picked IU over SLU.

That is not distressing?

8 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

The foreigners aren't that good otherwise they would be playing professional soccer in Europe.

AJ Popovic from CBC the National High School Soccer Player of the Year picked IU over SLU.

That is not distressing?

Look back to the 1970s - yes SLU had a huge local flavour, but also look at the St Louisans that played professionally. A lot went to IU! That pipeline has been there for decades. We tend to re-write history, and by saying all the best locals used to stay home we are doing it now.

Edit: Tim Walters is the first name to pop into my mind, then more recent IU players such as Pat Noonan and Chris Klein...Mike Ambersley too, why don't you go call him a traitor at Stl FC matches.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Jerry Yeagly always pulled St. Louis talent to IU.  The first All-American IU ever had was Tom Redmond back in the 70's was a St. Louis kid.

I am familiar with that. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem though right? You are giving SLU a free pass.

Another one was Will Bruin. What is really embarrassing for SLU is I believe both his parents are SLU alumni.

Is that why IU has won eight NCAA titles since 1973 and SLU hasn't won any?

If Mike McGinty doesn't get SLU to an NCAA quarterfinal this year he should be fired.

He has accomplished nothing at SLU.