Billiken Soccer vs Wake (ESPN3)

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Completely outplayed, but we hold on for the win.  Couple nice saves from our keeper down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Bills win although the field was certainly slanted for that second half.

I understand that this is essential to the narrative of the game but it should not diminish the victory. The 1v1 defending was outstanding. When we had chances we were dangerous in attack. It was clear that pack the back and counter/clear the piss out of the ball was the strategy and the players executed the game plan.

I can't speak for brian but my post was just an observation, in no way an intent to diminish the victory. I thank you for letting me know it was on ESPN3 and I watched from when I saw your note but the whole second half was played in our end.   We defended well and the goalie made some key saves late,especially when we almost got credited with an own goal.  Always root for the Bills ..... butv my views on soccer overall get me condemned.

Beat UNC.   Been to Wakeand Chapel Hill.  Going to be tough to win the second one as well,

Wow....did not see this coming.  Great way to start a year winning on the road versus a Top 5 team......And that hit by Brown.....you don't even see that in the Premier League too often.  Reminds me of the volley Rooney hit against Newcastle years ago.....

31 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I can't speak for brian but my post was just an observation, in no way an intent to diminish the victory. I thank you for letting me know it was on ESPN3 and I watched from when I saw your note but the whole second half was played in our end.   We defended well and the goalie made some key saves late,especially when we almost got credited with an own goal.  Always root for the Bills ..... butv my views on soccer overall get me condemned.

Beat UNC.   Been to Wakeand Chapel Hill.  Going to be tough to win the second one as well,

I wasn't necessarily just referring to this example of criticizing the pack the back and counter strategy, see Hope Solo or those who criticized Mourinho's strategies at Chelsea. 

I also see no reason why tomorrow's game against UNC shouldn't also be on espn3

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I wasn't necessarily just referring to this example of criticizing the pack the back and counter strategy, see Hope Solo or those who criticized Mourinho's strategies at Chelsea. 

There was a bunch of pack by the Bills, there wasn't much counter.  Only two really good scoring chances in the game for us.  

I think the counter should improve as the season goes along. That said, they need to cut down on the quality scoring chances they allow. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Count me as one who hates the style of play. I agree with Hope Solo's thoughts, just not her choice of words. On the other hand I can't blame Sweden or Pia, you have to do what gives you the best chance to win. Off topic, but I wish the US still had Pia. Imo the best coach the USA has had.

Apparently, we had a PK saved by the WF keeper.  Sounds like it should have been 2-0. 

"The Billikens (1-0) struck in the 14th minute of play to take a 1-0 lead. A long kick from goalkeeper Sascha Otte found Anthony Brown, who blasted a shot from the top of the box just under the crossbar. A minute later Saint Louis had a chance to double the lead as the Deacs committed a handball in the box, but freshman goalkeeper Andreu Cases Mundet saved the penalty kick attempt from Lennart Hein. Wake Forest (0-1) continued to pressure the Saint Louis end for the remainder of the half, but couldn’t find the equalizer despite a 6-3 shot advantage over the first 45 minutes."

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/082616aaa.html

35 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Apparently, we had a PK saved by the WF keeper.  Sounds like it should have been 2-0. 

"The Billikens (1-0) struck in the 14th minute of play to take a 1-0 lead. A long kick from goalkeeper Sascha Otte found Anthony Brown, who blasted a shot from the top of the box just under the crossbar. A minute later Saint Louis had a chance to double the lead as the Deacs committed a handball in the box, but freshman goalkeeper Andreu Cases Mundet saved the penalty kick attempt from Lennart Hein. Wake Forest (0-1) continued to pressure the Saint Louis end for the remainder of the half, but couldn’t find the equalizer despite a 6-3 shot advantage over the first 45 minutes."

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/082616aaa.html

It really should have been. Their goalkeeper came up through the Barcelona system from age 12. I think a defender on their team too. 

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It really should have been. Their goalkeeper came up through the Barcelona system from age 12. I think a defender on their team too. 

WHAT, a foreigner!!  I thought SLU was the only college team in America that used foreign players.  Aren't there enough American players in NC to field a team?  The NCAA needs to investigate.