Travis Ford

Tilkowsky

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, nice article.  I wonder what the antiquated NCAA rules say about a coach providing refreshments, meals, etc. at his home.  Can the coach even provide transportation for the players to his abode?

I'm pretty sure that's ok. I think Majerus said when he was at Utah and living in a hotel (did same at SLU), he could have invited players over to his house if he had one and there's no issues with the NCAA.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm pretty sure that's ok. I think Majerus said when he was at Utah and living in a hotel (did same at SLU), he could have invited players over to his house if he had one and there's no issues with the NCAA.

Oh there are NCAA rules on what a coach can or cannot do at his residence.  For example, I doubt that he can feed his whole team 7 days a week.  But I'm confident Coach knows the rules as he has done this before.  Transportation to and from his house may be another vague issue.  Remember when Majerus had to justify driving Mitchell back to Milwaukee during holidays.  Just because both of them lived there didn't matter to the NCAA.  I remember he did prevail.

I was curious as to the answer to my own question, and I looked it up in the NCAA rulebook.  Coach can have the team over for an 'occasional' meal and can provide local transportation.  Wonder how the NCAA defines 'occasional' and 'meal'.

16.11.1.5 Occasional Meals. [A] A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional

meal in the locale of the institution on infrequent and special occasions from an institutional staff member. An

institutional staff member may provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend such meals.

A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional meal from a representative of athletics

interests on infrequent and special occasions under the following conditions: [R] (Revised: 1/10/92, 4/25/02 effective

8/1/02, 4/29/10, 8/7/14)

(a) The meal may only be provided in an individual’s home, on campus or at a facility that is regularly used

for home competition and may be catered; and 

(b) A representative of the institution’s athletics interests may provide reasonable local transportation to student   athletes

to attend the meal function only if the meal function is at the home of that representative.

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I was curious as to the answer to my own question, and I looked it up in the NCAA rulebook.  Coach can have the team over for an 'occasional' meal and can provide local transportation.  Wonder how the NCAA defines 'occasional' and 'meal'.

16.11.1.5 Occasional Meals. [A] A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional

meal in the locale of the institution on infrequent and special occasions from an institutional staff member. An

institutional staff member may provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend such meals.

A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional meal from a representative of athletics

interests on infrequent and special occasions under the following conditions: [R] (Revised: 1/10/92, 4/25/02 effective

8/1/02, 4/29/10, 8/7/14)

(a) The meal may only be provided in an individual’s home, on campus or at a facility that is regularly used

for home competition and may be catered; and 

(b) A representative of the institution’s athletics interests may provide reasonable local transportation to student   athletes

to attend the meal function only if the meal function is at the home of that representative.

Good find. I knew that at least it used to be ok for a coach to host players for meals because Majerus brought it up. In case you didn't know, Majerus ran into a couple of NCAA issues at Utah. One involved when one of Keith Van Horn's parents passed away. RM wanted to keep Keith company until he left to go home, so he took him to a restaurant or diner and got him a sandwich. Violation. If he invited Keith to his house/hotel/apartment and made him food, probably wouldn't have been a violation.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Good find. I knew that at least it used to be ok for a coach to host players for meals because Majerus brought it up. In case you didn't know, Majerus ran into a couple of NCAA issues at Utah. One involved when one of Keith Van Horn's parents passed away. RM wanted to keep Keith company until he left to go home, so he took him to a restaurant or diner and got him a sandwich. Violation. If he invited Keith to his house/hotel/apartment and made him food, probably wouldn't have been a violation.

Yeah, that's the kind of krap where the NCAA needs to come into the 21st century.  Rules should not cover situations like the KVH events where there is a legitimate family emergency or condition, which in that case involved an act of kindness and compassion.  They are worried about the one coach who would take advantage of the situation rather than the 99 others that do the right thing.  Give the player a meal and a shoulder to cry on.  Give him a plane ticket to get home to his grieving family.  The NCAA made buckets of cash off of KVL and Utah.  Let him grieve with his coach. 

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, that's the kind of krap where the NCAA needs to come into the 21st century.  Rules should not cover situations like the KVH events where there is a legitimate family emergency or condition, which in that case involved an act of kindness and compassion.  They are worried about the one coach who would take advantage of the situation rather than the 99 others that do the right thing.  Give the player a meal and a shoulder to cry on.  Give him a plane ticket to get home to his grieving family.  The NCAA made buckets of cash off of KVL and Utah.  Let him grieve with his coach. 

Terrific post.

On a 101ESPN Fast Lane interview yesterday, Coach singled out first Bishop, then Roby and lastly Crawford as three he is looking for to step up and be team leaders.  He mentioned Bishop as a vet "you're no longer a freshman", Roby for his strength and vocal leadership, and Crawford for the respect his teammates have for him.  He talked a bit about how the 'bigs' are going to have to step up.  And finally while he is 'back' in the A-10, there are new schools and only a handful of coaches he coached against, so it is pretty much a new conference for him.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

On a 101ESPN Fast Lane interview yesterday, Coach singled out first Bishop, then Roby and lastly Crawford as three he is looking for to step up and be team leaders.  He mentioned Bishop as a vet "you're no longer a freshman", Roby for his strength and vocal leadership, and Crawford for the respect his teammates have for him.  He talked a bit about how the 'bigs' are going to have to step up.  And finally while he is 'back' in the A-10, there are new schools and only a handful of coaches he coached against, so it is pretty much a new conference for him.

Can't wait for the season.

Billikens.com has sunk to this in my absence?

Last year we had brett jolly and milik yarbrough as our future.

Ford landed us GoodWIN within five months. Travis ford is awesome. Tilkowsky is not awesome.

The competition for "worst post of the 2016-2017 season" is strong.

On 9/5/2016 at 9:17 PM, HoosierPal said:

One of those rare moments in which hoosier is right.

The NCAA needs to can calipari and the Clown of Tulsa. Instead they go after low hanging fruit and good people because the NCAA establishment are cowards.