Travis Ford

Tilkowsky

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Do some guys on here really think Ford might get offered by Kentucky down the road??  C'mon, man!!?

It will never happen, sorry.  But I must say; given the extremely negative response originally to this hire: that is quite the historic turnaround, if now he is the heir apparent for the Wildcats.  Good stuff!  And it happened in only a few months too, without a single game being played. 

Amazing what a few recruits can do, these are heady times to be a SLU Billiken fan...

Tubby Smith was a was a Wildcat coach and if and only if coach Ford does great for SLU.

Great equals at least 1 final four appearance and a few sweet 16 appearances.

I was one of those that was not happy when coach Ford was hired.

It is not just the recruits but coach Ford's charisma, and his use of social media such as tweets about what is going on has changed my mind about the coach.

Some have spoken that if coach Ford does well that he will leave, I say maybe not unless the right job comes along.

This is just a question is coach Calapari a good coach or just a good recruiter or both?

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Do some guys on here really think Ford might get offered by Kentucky down the road??  C'mon, man!!?

It will never happen, sorry.  But I must say; given the extremely negative response originally to this hire: that is quite the historic turnaround, if now he is the heir apparent for the Wildcats.  Good stuff!  And it happened in only a few months too, without a single game being played. 

Amazing what a few recruits can do, these are heady times to be a SLU Billiken fan...

Doc B, if Travis turns this train wreck around into a multi year tourney team, yes, he will be offered even by UK. We are in such dire straits that he will be viewed as a miracle worker. There are very few guys I could see that would challenge him. Maybe a Brad Stevens of the Celts, a Sharp type guy, Marshall if you could pull him out of WSU.

But SLU hoops is in the sewer of college hoops today. And this season is probably going to be hard to take as well. But if he lands who he's after beyond what he's already done, then we will be a turnaround story. That will only make him look very attractive to other schools. Plus he's got that UK connection thing going for him.

We'll all be OK with that as long as he doesn't leave us a Jim Crews type to take over.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

I'm convinced there are a handful of posters that simply worry about everything 

especially 'trolls'.   I thought we MBMers as a whole took the hiring with cautious optimism. I was first one to throw his hat in night he was fired. from his first pressie to today he has done nothing wrong and everything right. The fact that he beat Kansas 3? times with the Cowboys makes me regard his big 12 resume as pretty damn good. If they have a choice how many kids would choose OK ST over most of the other schools in B-12?

48 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Good luck with that Big East thing.

how long have SLU fans been dreaming about that?

Ever since the New Big East was formed and SLU was mentioned which has not been that long because the New Big East alignment is only about 4 years old.

Creighton and Butler are in that league so it is very possible.

SLU is similar to those schools and were well on the way then tragedy hit and Coach Majerus passed on and Jim Crews turned SLU basketball into a buzz kill.

If coach Crews could have continued to maintain what coach Majerus built with his own recruits then SLU would be the next school invited.

Coach Ford is a great salesman and with great success with the basketball program it will be a no brainer for the Big East.

Coach Ford is young and the question will be did the coach learn anything since being fired at OSU?

For what it is worth your posts do not bother me as long as you want to have a civil discussion.

In fairness, while @Tilkowsky appears to be a troll who should just be ignored, I have not seen anything in this thread or the soccer thread which would cause him/her to be banned. (S)He is stirring the pot, but if lack of rah-rah sentiment is enough to be banned most of this board would have been banned during the Crews era.

17 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You wouldn't know seeing as you're not a SLU fan. Can any of the moderators ban this guy already? @SluSignGuy @Quality Is Job 1

davidnark is also a moderator.  While I used to have the ability to suspend user accounts — never the ability to ban a user — I haven't for at least a few years.  I don't even know if I can give "warning points" anymore.  Nevertheless, I feel that moderation should occur after other options have been exhausted.  I've never thought that this forum had to be only for SLU fans with the most positive viewpoint.  Should we really bar fans of other programs or those who don't like SLU from posting?  Maybe, but if we're going to discriminate, then it has to be based upon an acceptable use policy.

But even before all this moderation happens, posters have the responsibility to respond civilly and/or put the offensive user on their ignore list.  I don't think we should have trigger fingers so itchy as to terminate any user who shows dissent.

14 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

So only true SLU fans get to post on this site.

you ran to the teachers when you were in school as well.

Only want SLU happy talk do we?

With all of that said, Tilkowsky, don't be a jerk.  Know that you're treading on thin ice.  While I can't ban you, the SignGuy can, and history has demonstrated that when the faithful posters begin to complain about a troll and/or valued board members suggest they may  leave because of said troll, then SignGuy will ultimately ban that troll.  I'm one of the more tolerant ones, but if I call you a troll, then: you're a troll!  I suggest you moderate your own tone when posting your SLU-hating comments, lest you find yourself history before 100 posts.

I don't think most people mind having somebody that isn't a big SLU fan on the board, the problem with him is he ruins any good discussion on SLU athletics because of his weird hatred.  If you make a valid point, he will just move the goal posts of the argument and ask for links.  If you start to ignore him, he will just quote his own post where he asked questions of moving the goal posts and the thread just becomes him talking to himself.  Most of the time the topics will be on things that are just future predictions (how the soccer team will do, how will Ford do) so that he can just try and bash SLU for random reasons (too many foreign players so no locals want to come to SLU as an example).

He already quoted his own post in the predictions for the soccer team thread.  There is not being a fan of a program, and there is just being blinded by hatred which is what that guy has.  It is the strangest thing but I completely stopped going to the stltoday forum just because he would ruin any thread on SLU.  

Sometimes you can get a good opinion from somebody who isn't a big fan of a program because they aren't biased but there is zero chance of getting that from him.  I use to enjoy reading Strauss for that reason because he is an A10 basketball fan (being a VCU guy) but not a SLU guy.  Don't have to ban him yet but definitely watch him carefully because his weird hatred isn't enjoyable.

45 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I  don't even know if I can give "warning points" anymore.  

I believe you should be able to do this and most other moderating functions.  To show how little I moderate, since the new forum software (I think installed in May) until about a week ago, I didn't realize I had disabled all moderating functions for all moderators (including myself).  It was not until I tried to merge a post did I realize I had no moderating power under my "SluSignGuy" account.

46 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

While I can't ban you, the SignGuy can, and history has demonstrated that when the faithful posters begin to complain about a troll and/or valued board members suggest they may  leave because of said troll, then SignGuy will ultimately ban that troll. 

This is a pretty accurate characterization of how things work in practice.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

davidnark is also a moderator.  While I used to have the ability to suspend user accounts — never the ability to ban a user — I haven't for at least a few years.  I don't even know if I can give "warning points" anymore.  Nevertheless, I feel that moderation should occur after other options have been exhausted.  I've never thought that this forum had to be only for SLU fans with the most positive viewpoint.  Should we really bar fans of other programs or those who don't like SLU from posting?  Maybe, but if we're going to discriminate, then it has to be based upon an acceptable use policy.

But even before all this moderation happens, posters have the responsibility to respond civilly and/or put the offensive user on their ignore list.  I don't think we should have trigger fingers so itchy as to terminate any user who shows dissent.

With all of that said, Tilkowsky, don't be a jerk.  Know that you're treading on thin ice.  While I can't ban you, the SignGuy can, and history has demonstrated that when the faithful posters begin to complain about a troll and/or valued board members suggest they may  leave because of said troll, then SignGuy will ultimately ban that troll.  I'm one of the more tolerant ones, but if I call you a troll, then: you're a troll!  I suggest you moderate your own tone when posting your SLU-hating comments, lest you find yourself history before 100 posts.

And sometimes when you don't call someone a troll, they're still really a troll too  ;)  In all seriousness, I don't think most people have a problem with dissent. Like the VCU guys coming here talking trash, that's to be expected... but at least those guys are up front about where they are coming from - what team they root for.  The BS that gets old is the tired schtick of acting like you are a SLU fan when you clearly are not and deliver nothing but hate. If you are not a SLU fan fine, at least have the balls to make it clear why (what team you root for).

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

And sometimes when you don't call someone a troll, they're still really a troll too  ;)  In all seriousness, I don't think most people have a problem with dissent. Like the VCU guys coming here talking trash, that's to be expected... but at least those guys are up front about where they are coming from - what team they root for.  The BS that gets old is the tired schtick of acting like you are a SLU fan when you clearly are not and deliver nothing but hate. If you are not a SLU fan fine, at least have the balls to make it clear why (what team you root for).

The weird thing is that this bro seems to be some shade of authentic SLU fan... or at least SLU soccer fan.

Let me be clear that I didn't love the Ford hire, and that I have done a 180, but the core value of a fan should be that they are fine with their take being wrong if it means their team winning.

Bills to the Big East is my deepest passion ever. I love it more than a human child.

My disappointment is this. I start a thread about whether T Ford can get it done with less resources than he had at Oklahoma State. I think a valid question.

Someone mentions the Big East and I wonder just what has SLU done to deserve an invitation.

Instead of proving me wrong and listing the reasons why SLU should be in the Big East, they run to the moderators. Well, ok. 

Not exactly discussion is it?

in terms of the soccer team I used to go to a bunch of away games. I stopped. Why? They aren't very good and they haven't played a good schedule since they joined the A-10. I go to one game a year. Last year was IU, this year it will be Louisville. I want them to win National Championships like they used to. I wonder why they have been so bad. The sad thing is no one seems to care by the lack of Soccer Talk on this board.

Isnt that lovely, banning someone because some posters think someone is a troll. Which more than likely means they disagree with that person. Not that the person actually is one.