Travis Ford

Tilkowsky

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas, Texas, and Iowa State aren't in the A10.

The same rosters he had at OSU most likely would have won the A10 straight up.

I understand OSU's anger in not being "better" with that lineup, but heaven forbid its damn near impossible to win the B12. 

Since it is damn near impossible to win the B12 then I guess everybody should just go home.  I get your point about how tough the B12 can be but any coach who goes and takes the money knows what he is getting in to so no violins for him.  While Ford's recruits at OSU would do very well in the A10 there is no assurances that he could have recruited them to an A10 school either.  How will Ford do here - who knows but I agree he is off to a good start.  One thing he has going for him that he has not had any place else is that he is now located in a metro area that has some pretty good local players.  Using the angle that you can stay home and play in a good conference and your family and friends can still come easily to all your games just like before carries some weight with some players.  He won't get them all but he is a good enough recruiter to get some to stay home.  He apparently has a way with transfers so he can continue to make them a mainstay if he chooses.  I have little concern that Ford can do well here if he works it right - the real question is does he want to stay here or use it as another stepping stone?  From what he said at his intro press conference he wants to be here a while but who really knows.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Since it is damn near impossible to win the B12 then I guess everybody should just go home.  I get your point about how tough the B12 can be but any coach who goes and takes the money knows what he is getting in to so no violins for him.  While Ford's recruits at OSU would do very well in the A10 there is no assurances that he could have recruited them to an A10 school either.  How will Ford do here - who knows but I agree he is off to a good start.  One thing he has going for him that he has not had any place else is that he is now located in a metro area that has some pretty good local players.  Using the angle that you can stay home and play in a good conference and your family and friends can still come easily to all your games just like before carries some weight with some players.  He won't get them all but he is a good enough recruiter to get some to stay home.  He apparently has a way with transfers so he can continue to make them a mainstay if he chooses.  I have little concern that Ford can do well here if he works it right - the real question is does he want to stay here or use it as another stepping stone?  From what he said at his intro press conference he wants to be here a while but who really knows.

Have to agree with you.

is there a point to playing the games? Hand the trophy to Kansas or Texas. Alternate who wins I guess.

Personally I don't think he wants to stay long term. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Have to agree with you.

is there a point to playing the games? Hand the trophy to Kansas or Texas. Alternate who wins I guess.

Personally I don't think he wants to stay long term. Just my opinion.

Personally I think he will win a national championship at SLU in the next 5 years. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What do we have here?  An Oklahoma State fan/troll?

He's a SLU troll. Pretty sure he's banned from these boards before. He's already trolling SLU soccer and trolls SLU all the time on the stltoday forums. It would be best to ban him sooner rather than later.

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What do we have here?  An Oklahoma State fan/troll?

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

He's a SLU troll. Pretty sure he's banned from these boards before. He's already trolling SLU soccer and trolls SLU all the time on the stltoday forums. It would be best to ban him sooner rather than later.

How is a "moderator" completely unaware of this situation. I was on an Oil Rig in Lesterville, Mo last week and I'm still aware of who this tool is

If Travis Ford can get us in the dance like VCU and Dayton seem to do he'll be considered successful at SLU. OKS expected a final 4 or a national championship. When you have Boone Pickens money behind you, you better come thru big time. Our sights are set a little lower. What he has to do here is fill the Fetz, be a top 3 program in the A10, make the dance on a regular basis, win his first rd games, and get us into a sweet 16 or an elite 8 once in a while. It's doable here as Rick Majerus proved.

If he does the above then in about year 4 or 5, he'll be sought after by a BCS program and likely leave. I just hope he leaves with a succession plan in place, as not having one in the past has dogged this program after every successful coach we've had. The X and Butler models work. VCU brought back a former AC and they haven't missed a beat. Travis is likely not a Marshall or a Few type who are perfectly content in their mid major conferences which they dominate year after year after year. If he is great for us, but I strongly doubt that's not his career objective. For example if he reaches the above level of success here, and UK comes a knocking after Calipari departs, he'll be on the first plane to Lexington.

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yes, Steve banned TrollPants before and will do so again.  TrollPants completely trashed the SLU Forum on the PD.  Used to be a fun place to post, but now TrollPants and two of his/her sock puppets think it is funny to act like third graders.  As others have suggested, ignore it and it will go away.  And heaven knows, how many times have we already discussed Coach Ford's X and O history.  

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

How is a "moderator" completely unaware of this situation. I was on an Oil Rig in Lesterville, Mo last week and I'm still aware of who this tool is

"Completely unaware"?  First of all, just because I'm a "moderator" doesn't mean I can sit around reading the board all day every day.  And, no, I don't read every single post.  Second, I don't think you read my post with the tone I intended.  I did mean "What do we have here?" as in, "Someone tell me what's going on"; I meant is as, "Aha; caught you!"

Nevertheless, I really have no way of knowing if a particular poster is banned and then registers with another user name.  I refuse to take the time to read every post from a new user and try to compare it with older or former users.  I may not have much of a life, but I have more of a life than that!

58 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think Coach Ford will stay awhile if he is successful as long as his pay if fair for his body of work.

I think with the coach being younger and having children in school will make it harder to move on if his children like their schools and new friends.

I have a high opinion of St. Louis area and think it is a great place to live and players and coaches from different states have settled in St. Louis.

If coach Ford has great success and his children are out of the house I think his next move would be Kentucky if Coach Calipari retires.

Coach Calipari is 11 years older than coach Ford.

I hoping to be worried about Kentucky wanting to hire coach Ford.

Drinking some blue kool-aid here possibly, but Travis Ford will do great things at SLU. He's the right man at the right time.

Do some guys on here really think Ford might get offered by Kentucky down the road??  C'mon, man!!?

It will never happen, sorry.  But I must say; given the extremely negative response originally to this hire: that is quite the historic turnaround, if now he is the heir apparent for the Wildcats.  Good stuff!  And it happened in only a few months too, without a single game being played. 

Amazing what a few recruits can do, these are heady times to be a SLU Billiken fan...

34 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Do some guys on here really think Ford might get offered by Kentucky down the road??  C'mon, man!!?

I seem to remember some people worried about Crews leaving for Indiana a couple years ago.

I'm convinced there are a handful of posters that simply worry about everything and when things are good that means they are worried that the coach will leave...