Marcus Bartley transferring

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only a kid when Roland played, but the extra distance wouldn't have made much or any difference in his percentage. Roland's game was a couple of decades ahead of his time.  The way the game is played now he would have put up even bigger numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

According to Roy Schmidt, Bartley's transferring to SIU-Carbondale.

"Southern IL Univ & HC Barry Hinson have landed a highly significant transfer in 6'4 PG Marcus Bartley. Will have 2 yrs of eligibility."

I am happy to see Bartley found a nice home.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

SIU's starting point guard graduates in 2017 and their incoming point guard could redshirt this year due to injury. Looks like a good fit.

Bartley has to sit out a year, correct?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, Billiken Bob said:

This was definitely the players decision and was initiated by him.  He was talked out of it and then changed his mind again.  20 year olds!!!

If in fact this is his decision, it is more interesting now.  Which has more value, a degree from SLU or a degree from SIU-C?  Easy answer. 

Stick it out, get your degree from SLU.  So what if your minutes dwindle as a senior.  You aren't going to play in the League, so look to the future a little farther than the next two basketball seasons.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

If in fact this is his decision, it is more interesting now.  Which has more value, a degree from SLU or a degree from SIU-C?  Easy answer. 

Stick it out, get your degree from SLU.  So what if your minutes dwindle as a senior.  You aren't going to play in the League, so look to the future a little farther than the next two basketball seasons.

You overvalue the SLU degree. There isn't much difference to anyone outside of SLU & SIU grads between an SIU degree and a SLU degree. 

KM...I have a feeling this will rattle the branches.  An aerospace engineering degree from SLU (which I have) is incredibly more valuable than an engineering SIU degree.  

You might be able to make the argument that the SIU degree is a better VALUE with its much lower tuition, but you are just wrong to say there is no difference in how each school's degree is viewed by corporations/employers/etc.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

You think there's a difference in how employers will view a degree in sports business between the two schools? 'Cause that's Bartley's major.

Interesting, I wonder if SIUC even offers that program. Although, he may be early enough in his career that he may not have taken many major specific courses. I would be curious what jobs kids from the SLU sports business program are walking into. Seems like a fairly niche major that may not be necessary.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

KM...I have a feeling my branch has been rattled.  An aerospace engineering degree from SLU (which I have) is incredibly more valuable than an engineering SIU degree.  

You might be able to make the argument that the SIU degree is a better VALUE with its much lower tuition, but you are just wrong to say there is no difference in how each school's degree is viewed by corporations/employers/etc.

fixed it 

8 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

fixed it 

Haha, perfect edit Mojo.  I guess I do take issue with a SLU degree being viewed equivalent to a SIUC degree.  I acknowledge that Notre Dame, Georgetown, etc are a cut about SLU, but I just dont think that a SLU grad is viewed the same as a SIUC grad in the job marketplace (given the same major)

As for the sports business side, I have no idea, but I would wager that (in general) the Cook business school has more corporate contacts and door-opening opportunities that lead to well-paying jobs than that of SIUC.  But I am sure someone is ready to tell me I am wrong on that front too. 

I enjoy the discussion and will be happy to be educated.

I have a business degree from SLU. I've never felt it gave me any sort of advantage in the job marketplace. I'm sure it's better than something from Phoenix online, but unless you're specialized I don't know if it really matters especially after you work a job out of school. 

Hey, I was lambasted for bringing up academics in the context of the rather odd collection of schools Miles Reynolds was looking at when transferring... I just don't get some 20 year olds... :)

My favourite this year though are the twins that transferred from Brown to Florida Atlantic. What are they thinking (hand on head...)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

4 minutes ago, William Iken said:

Hey, I was lambasted for bringing up academics in the context of the rather odd collection of schools Miles Reynolds was looking at when transferring... I just don't get some 20 year olds... :)

My favourite this year though are the twins that transferred from Brown to Florida Atlantic. What are they thinking (hand on head...)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

Maybe Brown was just too challenging.

Re SIU: My neighbor, an older retired senior from Chicago, from across the street here in the Asheville, NC area, said when he was in HS he wasn't the best student. Ended up going to Community College in Chicago. Then went on to SIU, average student. Admitted back in the 60s when he attended SIU it was where all the dummies from Chicago went (his words). Joined the Peace Corps and spent several years in Columbia, in fact met his wife in Columbia. Returned to the Washington DC area. Got a Masters and PhD in Biology from Georgetown. Taught Biology, attained full professorship, for almost 40 years at UNC Chapel Hill. I guess some people can be late bloomers.

Nice guy, when SLU vs SIU on TV, I always invite him over and enjoy some Asheville craft beer watching the game. He attended SIU when Clyde Frazier played for SIU and still keeps up with the Salukis. .