Marcus Bartley transferring

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Paul White announced he is leaving Georgetown. Maybe there is a new precedent on leaving right when school starts. White is a buddy of Reynolds playing on the Whitney Young squad. He was reportedly at a few Billiken games last season.

I'd imagine any hopes of White coming to SLU left with Reynolds.  He was a top 100 guy out of HS, but didn't put up very good numbers at G-Town and is trying to come back from hip surgery.  He'd definitely be a guy I'd be interested in under Crews, but it seems like Ford might be able to get a better/less risky talent.  Since he and Reynolds seem close it would be interesting to see if he winds up at Pacific.

Unrelated transfer news: Xavier is losing a player to Carleton "The Duke of Canada" http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/xavier-freshman-transferring-to-canadian-university/

31 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Unrelated transfer news: Xavier is losing a player to Carleton "The Duke of Canada" http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/xavier-freshman-transferring-to-canadian-university/

Crazy thing about Carleton, they always beat big named teams every single summer, and they're not even the best team in their conference. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd imagine any hopes of White coming to SLU left with Reynolds.  He was a top 100 guy out of HS, but didn't put up very good numbers at G-Town and is trying to come back from hip surgery.  He'd definitely be a guy I'd be interested in under Crews, but it seems like Ford might be able to get a better/less risky talent.  Since he and Reynolds seem close it would be interesting to see if he winds up at Pacific.

"He'd defintiely be a guy I'd be interested in under Crew ..."  

What? I know Ford got a couple of transfers from bigger conferences / a top 100 recruit but when did we become so big time?

True, hip surgery is no joke, but on the bright side he is like 19 years old and will essentially have a professional level rehab program picked up by whatever school he transfers to.  Injury aside, this kid was a legit 6'8" power forward prospect coming out of high school with offers from Georgetown, Uconn, Miami, and Arizona that we had 0% chance of getting/we would have chopped off our right arm to have. Also, I don't like the argument that he didn't put up good numbers at Georgetown to say he's not that talented (not like our transfers exactly lit it up in the Big 10 / AAC either).

20 minutes ago, slu06 said:

What? I know Ford got a couple of transfers from bigger conferences / a top 100 recruit but when did we become so big time?

I'm saying that since Ford has shown the ability to get former top 100 transfers without injury issues and who performed better prior to transferring and the ability to now get top 50 or 60ish HS recruits that I'd rather go after one of those type of guys than White.

Now, I suppose if White called up Ford and said he wanted to come to SLU, you'd maybe take the bird in the hand (or at least bring him in for a workout).  I just think there is a good possibility for Ford to do better (as opposed to Crews).  Its a moot point because I doubt White is in play for SLU anyways.

I'd love White if he was healthy. But according to reports out of DC, he still wasn't 100% in summer league.  Coach Ford has proven adept at bringing in active 6'6/6'7 guys at prior stops. That's really all you need to handle business up front in the A10. No need to roll the dice. Let coach do what he does.

I liked Bartley as a shooter- had as bad or worse skills as a point guard as Roby and much worse pg skill than McBroom. He never could stay with the man he guarded. 

Majerus would have made Roby all defense team as sophomore. I don't think Majerus would have much use for Bartley

because he was not scrappy at all

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK my turn:

To Marcus Bartley, we will always be grateful to you for playing despite the pain caused by your soft tissue injuries. We all wish you the very best. May you find a slot that suits you and allows you to move forward towards your goal.

Well said old guy, your post reflects my feelings for Mr. Bartley I wish him success and happiness.

@HoosierPal:  good question.  I can imagine a scenario where the record book keepers were sitting around and arbitrarily decided "yeah ... 100.  One hundred sounds good."  Or maybe that's a standard default total.  I don't know.  I would think that in the grand scheme of things, the fact that Claggett took 716 three-point shots and Gray took 230 would seem to make even the least astute observer say Claggs was a better three point shooter despite the slightly lower percentage but that's me.  Waldman was here only two years, but took 82 more three pointers than Gray did in a two-year career as opposed to four.  Jason Edwin's sixth place finish is wildly out of place for me.  McCauley and Robertson barely qualified with 130 and 135 attempts respectively.  Frankly I don't think of either Edwin or Gray as three point bombers as I do Claggs and even Highmark, who isn't top ten percentage wise (37%).  But they are there.

I don't know -- the first number that comes to mind is 50 attempts per season played.  In that way, Claggs would need to launch 200 while Waldman would be at 100.  Bartley still would qualify but McCauley and Robertson would not (each would need 200).  My pet peeve is also that folks had to complete thei rcareers here, but that's likely not fair. 

No matter how much people love of hate white he would never ever come here. Even if coach K or Michael Jordan was coach. He's not going to a school that his best friend transferred away from. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Waldman was here only two years, but took 82 more three pointers than Gray did in a two-year career as opposed to four.

This was before I was even born, but I believe the NCAA didn't implement the 3 point line until 1986 and Gray's career started in 1985.  Therefore, it is Gray only had three years to take 3 point shots, not four.

RU:  thanks, I knew the 3 point line was a child of the 80's.  Just couldn't remember when it all started.  When you say "Roland Gray" what do you conjure up?  I do NOT conjure up a three point sniper ala Claggs. Highmark and H.  Not even in the line of Donnie Dobbs.  But point noted.  Gray still qualified for the books.   Thanks for the correction.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This was before I was even born, but I believe the NCAA didn't implement the 3 point line until 1986 and Gray's career started in 1985.  Therefore, it is Gray only had three years to take 3 point shots, not four.

Interesting.  Yes, looking up the records, Roland only has three point stats for his last three years.  His senior year was remarkable at 50% success rate, 56 of 112. 

Roland Gray (St. Louis, Mo./McKinley HS)

Year      GP FG-A Pct. 3FG-A Pct.      FT-A Pct.    Reb/Avg    A  BL  S  Pts/Avg

1985-86 30 136-259 .525                     72-92 .783 228/7.6 45 6 22 344/11.5

1986-87 34 216-422 .512 19-43 .442 124-156 .795 182/5.4 67 10 28 575/16.9

1987-88 28 146-310 .471 30-75 .400 85-104 .817 167/6.0 87 11 35 407/14.5

1988-89 37 196-372 .527 56-112 .500 102-145 .703 234/6.3 80 3 37 553/14.9

Career 129 694-1363 .509 105-230 .457 383-497 .771 811/6.3 279 30 122 1880/14.6

When people start throwing their own arbitrary views of what should count in a statistic such as 3 point percentage, one also has to ask if percentages from before they moved the line moved back should be compared to percentages today.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

RU:  thanks, I knew the 3 point line was a child of the 80's.  Just couldn't remember when it all started.  When you say "Roland Gray" what do you conjure up?  I do NOT conjure up a three point sniper ala Claggs. Highmark and H.  Not even in the line of Donnie Dobbs.  But point noted.  Gray still qualified for the books.   Thanks for the correction.

Like I alluded to before, I was born in 1987, so I do not conjure up anything when I say "Roland Gray".  I don't remember him at all despite probably going to several of his games as a toddler.

I do conjure up 3 pt sniper for Claggs, Highmark, and H.  Watching those guys nail 3s are my earliest Billiken memories.

According to the numbers though, Gray was very good 3 pt shooter.  Part of the perception of him not being a 3 pt sniper might be the fact that the 3 pt line was so new, he had to play without it a year, and ultimately he didn't attempt very many because the offense wasn't geared around it the same way it was for Claggs & Co.  It would be interesting to put Gray on those Claggs teams and see how many 3 pts he made.

Back to the record book: I believe it makes much more sense to set a minimum number of 3 pointers made rather than a minimum number of attempts.  For example, if you had a guy who made 60 of 99 3 point shots why should he be left off the list for guys like Edwin, McCauley, & Robertson who only made 55 or less, but happened to take more than 100 shots.  If it were my record book, I'd set the minimum for 3 pt % at 75 made 3 pointers.  That is 38 per season for a guy who plays 2 years.  For reference, 38 makes barely scratch the top 10 list for freshman makes so it doesn't seem too high of a bar for a JUCO or transfer guy to still be able to make the list.  This would eliminate Bartley, Edwin, McCauley, & Robertson.  For some reason SLU uses a minimum number of attempts for 3 pt %, but a minimum number of makes for both FG% and FT %

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

When people start throwing their own arbitrary views of what should count in a statistic such as 3 point percentage, one also has to ask if percentages from before they moved the line moved back should be compared to percentages today.

That is a very good point kshoe. From my point of view, every time the rules are changed (lines are moved, distance increased or decreased, rules made to promote defense or limit it, etc...) what you get is a different set of circumstances for the shots made. Therefore comparing stats of say 3 pointers dating from prior and post significant rule changes is NOT comparing similar things, apples to oranges just to say.

Interesting topic on stats. Should David Burns be considered as the top career scoring average for the Bills, having played in 54 games while averaging 19.4 ppg?  Boushka played in 75 games and averaged 19.2 ppg.  Hughes averaged 20.9 ppg in 32 games in his only year with the Bills.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

That is a very good point kshoe. From my point of view, every time the rules are changed (lines are moved, distance increased or decreased, rules made to promote defense or limit it, etc...) what you get is a different set of circumstances for the shots made. Therefore comparing stats of say 3 pointers dating from prior and post significant rule changes is NOT comparing similar things, apples to oranges just to say.

They're not all that difficult to compare if you have the respective league averages to consider. Not sure where you'd go to find that for the 1986 Midwestern Collegiate Conference, though.