Marcus Bartley transferring

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing the Goodwin recruitment led Coach Ford and Marcus to have a very frank discussion about Marcus's chances of getting sigificant minutes over the next two seasons. 

Today's news is probably the logical result of that conversation.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think I actually had the timing wrong on when Goodman backed out at LaSalle.  It didn't happen until June.

Yeah, I may be late to the party with this, but see my post in the 2017 recruiting thread.  I think the timeline was Bailey left for SLU in early April, Goodman announced he would transfer to LaSalle in late April, and Goodman left classes at LaSalle in June.  I don't think there is anything there with Goodman & SLU.

Bartley was never able to adjust to the skill level and physical strength of point guards in this conference.  His 2-3 inch advantage over most point guards in the conference was not enough to offset that.   He'd be a lot more comfortable in a league like the Ohio Valley where the talent level at his position is not as high.

Dropping down a level in D-1 can work wonders.  Look at the gaudy stats McBroom piled up at Eastern Washington.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Hines' parents are suddenly hopeful...

As we all seem to think 500 season is ceiling this year and everyone is content to wait it out as we've gotten rid of Crews hired Ford whose impressed everyone with his first 100 days, it would be great PR for locals to give him another year scholarship.

This is going to be good year for tracking ex Bills playing. Maybe a record for most players in college basketball playing same season that once played for Bills?

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I actually think he maybe saw how legit Zeke Moore is and then Goodwin, and had another spot in mind.

As depressing as next year may be, Zeke and JJ should make it fun. 

20 minutes ago, almaman said:

As we all seem to think 500 season is ceiling this year and everyone is content to wait it out as we've gotten rid of Crews hired Ford whose impressed everyone with his first 100 days, it would be great PR for locals to give him another year scholarship.

This is going to be good year for tracking ex Bills playing. Maybe a record for most players in college basketball playing same season that once played for Bills?

-if they're going D1 they have to sit a year

I'd love to know what Crews was thinking.  Of his recruits, five were "projects" --- Agbeko, Jolly, Gillmann, Neufeld and Yarbrough (head case more than project).  One was an abysmal failure (Lancona).  Crawford is a decent role player, not a star.  Roby, Reynolds and Bartley were all one-dimensional and limited.  Hines was a walk-on who beat out the scholarship players.  Leaving Bishop as his best?  Who only cracked the starting lineup as a last resort.  And we now know the answer to last preseason's article --- do we have five point guards or none?  We had none.  And the college game is known as a guard's game. 

Who uses almost 40% of his scholarships for "projects?"  What was the plan ---- just get the bodies so I can craft them into a power?  I don't recall Jim Crews developing anybody in his time ---- who was his Marcus Smart?  His Andre Miller?  His Keith Van Horne?  I ha dhug emisgivings about th ehire but understood why we did it. In my wildest dreams I never saw us falling this fast and this far. 

There was a plan, right?  Right?  Buehler?  Beuhler?

Responses:

jimbo:  trying hard to forget.  Stop reminding me.

HoosierPal:  eventually, one would think you'd need a minimum number of attempts to get in this particular club but for now, yeah,...Bartley finishes his career at #3 "all-time."  What's even more surprising is three guys on the list -- Jason Edwin, Carolos McCauley and Troy Robertson -- actually took less shots (139/130/135) then Bartley did.  His one-dimensional mark is on the wall.  To put it in some perspective, our all-time leader in 3FG% isn't in the top ten for 3FG made.  Stats are relative.

hsmith:  I felt Roby's one dimension was defense based on his freshman year.  A defensive stopper.  Needed?  Yes.  But he was not that his sophomore year.  13 talks about his line-drive shot.  I agree.  He was never a true ballhandler, a point guard.  If so, given our lack of such a player, he would have played much more than he did with the rock in his hands.  But no matter how I attack the point guards, there is still the issue that there was nothing on the receiving end talent-wise that would deliver the proper ending to a good point guard pass.  Once again, no talent. 

Roby played defense, couldn't shoot, couldn't dribble.  Bartley could shoot, but couldn't defend and couldn't rebound and also couldn't dribble.  Reynolds could dribble an d shoot free throws, but that was his one-trick pony act too.  Added to two projects and a head case.  Then Zeke Moore was a suitable replacement for Jayson Tatum.  And a four-star recruit wasn't worthy of playing here. 

Which is still why someone should ask:  WTF Jimmy, WTF?

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Which is still why someone should ask:  WTF Jimmy, WTF?

-Taj, as Old Guy says it is time to move from the past to the now and the future but if you are looking for speculation as to how we got here then mine is Crews didn't have a clue and he was stealing a paycheck

37 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Taj, as Old Guy says it is time to move from the past to the now and the future but if you are looking for speculation as to how we got here then mine is Crews didn't have a clue and he was stealing a paycheck

lol... "you need to move on from the past"..."but first let me tell you about my opinion of the past" haha

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Responses:

HoosierPal:  eventually, one would think you'd need a minimum number of attempts to get in this particular club but for now, yeah,...Bartley finishes his career at #3 "all-time."  What's even more surprising is three guys on the list -- Jason Edwin, Carolos McCauley and Troy Robertson -- actually took less shots (139/130/135) then Bartley did.  His one-dimensional mark is on the wall.  To put it in some perspective, our all-time leader in 3FG% isn't in the top ten for 3FG made.  Stats are relative.

The minimum number of attempts to qualify for the SLU 3 point record is 100.  Roland Gray is #1 at on the list with 45.7% on 230 attempts.  You have to draw a line somewhere. Where would you put it?  200 attempts (50 per season), 250?