Marcus Bartley transferring

I also thought Bartley had a chance to end his career as a nice role player. Bartley was recruited by Ford when he was at OSU, so I thought it might be a good fit here. IF you were going to drive a player away, I don't think it would be Bartley, which leads me to believe this might be primarily Marcus' decision.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

FWIW, I thought Bartley might have a nice role as a senior on the 2017-2018 team. If we're going to have a big, physical, driving PG like Goodwin bringing up the ball, we're going to need perimeter shooters to stretch defenses. Henriquez is a shooter, and Bishop is a shooter; the other two transfers are not. Bartley could've been useful as a role player on that team, because regardless of what you thought about his ceiling or the other aspects of his game, he was a smooth, mostly consistent shooter in his two seasons here. We don't know how good a shooter Moore or Welmer are yet, Gillmann hasn't been consistent enough with his shot. I kinda wish Bartley had gotten a full four-year chance here.

Zeke Moore is a shooter. Perhaps Ford took a better liking to Zeke.

22 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I sincerely hope this was Marcus' decision and not the coaches.

I'm not one of these people that is against under-performing players having their scholarships pulled, but I do believe there is a "right" time to do it and a wrong time. The right time is in the spring when they have a chance to go elsewhere. The wrong time is right before school starts when options may be limited. It's like firing an employee right before Christmas.

Again, I have no idea if it was coach initiated, player initiated or a blend of both, but I hope it was more player choice than anything else.

This was definitely the players decision and was initiated by him.  He was talked out of it and then changed his mind again.  20 year olds!!!

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Well, this is interesting.

Still - if we're going to grab a one-year, immediately eligible grad transfer, my questions are why? And why now? This is a stop-gap season, anyway. We're probably not going to see .500, let alone postseason play. Is it worthwhile to run a third-year player off the day before he starts classes to fill his spot with a better player if the game outcomes this year are mostly irrelevant?

The ONLY justification is that we'd still be responsible for Bartley in 2017-2018, and a one-year grad transfer means that spot is open for another 2017 recruit. We all know Ford wants at least one more scholarship for 2017. That could've been someone who played this season and left in the spring/summer.

This timing is weird. I'd definitely like to know more about the story here.

If the spot for 2017 is the issue, why push him out a year early? Ford specifically said he wasn't going to go the senior transfer route for all the reasons you state.

Of all the returning guys, Bartley was the one I was most looking forward to seeing play under Ford. But is it possible he just didn't click with the new staff in practice for whatever reason? Or maybe didn't want to stick around for his junior year knowing he would likely have to go elsewhere as a senior?

Just now, Billiken Bob said:

This was definitely the players decision and was initiated by him.  He was talked out of it and then changed his mind again.  20 year olds!!!

Well that's better to hear.  Transferring at this stage, I would want him to be the one that makes the call.  Wish him the best.  

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Zeke Moore is a shooter. Perhaps Ford took a better liking to Zeke.

Right.  In basketball terms, just being a spot up shooter isn't that difficult.  Bartley didn't really offer a lot besides that.  I imagine Zeke can fill the Bartley role pretty effectively.

4 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

Good to hear and thanks for the color. 

5 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

That's good to hear, thanks.  Any info on when we might see some of these other commitments that are being talked about?

I would say Bartley thought he wouldn't be a major factor going forward. I know the timing sucks for him now, but there aren't a lot of programs that would have wanted to take a guy who would have had to sit out a year just to play one year, which would have been the case if Marcus had played out this season.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I would say Bartley thought he wouldn't be a major factor going forward. I know the timing sucks for him now, but there aren't a lot of programs that would have wanted to take a guy who would have had to sit out a year just to play one year, which would have been the case if Marcus had played out this season.

I am sure Bartley saw his minutes hard to come by with the addition of Goodwin commitment his senior season.  I think Bartley sees himself as a point guard.  With Bishop already on the roster and Goodwin getting the keys to the program and promised the Marcus Smart role that he wouldn't be getting time at the position envisions himself playing.

4 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

The Jim Crews era will be known as the "Neverland" years. He is responsible for all of the "Lost Boys." Namely, Carter, McBroom, Glaze, Jolly, Reynolds, Bartley, Yarborough 

Haha. I think Bartley is a good enough shooter to get another D1 offer somewhere. One of these things is not like the others...

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Timing is weird but I guess Ford can be very active in the mid-season transfer market right?

Why would a graduate transfer consider SLU to play one season on this team.  Not happening unless all they want is a lot of playing time on a pretty poor team.

10 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

The Jim Crews era will be known as the "Neverland" years. He is responsible for all of the "Lost Boys." Namely, Carter, McBroom, Glaze, Jolly, Reynolds, Bartley, Yarborough 

On the plus side, we don't need to curse Crews anymore for his seeming screw-up of the Goodwin recruitment.

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Why would a graduate transfer consider SLU to play one season on this team.  Not happening unless all they want is a lot of playing time on a pretty poor team.

Hey, it worked for Grandy Glaze... dude got NBA workouts for real

So we've essentially got four guards, four bigs, and Johnson (kind of a 3/4). One has to think the minutes will be distributed pretty evenly between all of the underclassmen to see who has what it takes for the tourney run in 17/18, plus good minutes for our seniors because why not. Can't wait until we start the projections thread.

Meh. Bartley is a guy. Easily replaceable. There are a dozen of him available at any given time and half of those aren't nearly as injury prone. 

Opening up more rides for 2017 is a good thing. I just hope there are enough warm bodies when injuries inevitably occur during the year. 

42 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

-very good, all the best to MB and this gives the staff another opening to put their player on the roster, given what players they have landed thus far, this looks like a good thing

-the only reason I can see a graduate transfer coming this season is they see the minutes available and want to play regardless of wins but the time for this is also clicking

-any other Illinois recruits we can pilfer? :ph34r:  we have the cash

Unfortunately, MB never turned out to be the tall ball handler Crews thought we needed after the Oregon game. The vision was to have him as a match up nightmare with his height and a strong enough ball handler to help against VCU. Injuries and other factors made sure it never came to fruition. At least he will still have Brooklyn to remember.

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Meh. Bartley is a guy. Easily replaceable. There are a dozen of him available at any given time and half of those aren't nearly as injury prone. 

Very easy to replace, in fact I think we already have 2 players on the roster who will replace him.  Unfortunately those replacements are 2 years away.  Next year will be extra brutal now, and thats why MB leaving makes me a sad panda. 

1 minute ago, Franchise_08 said:

Unfortunately, MB never turned out to be the tall ball handler Crews thought we needed after the Oregon game. The vision was to have him as a match up nightmare with his height and a strong enough ball handler to help against VCU. Injuries and other factors made sure it never came to fruition. At least he will still have Brooklyn to remember.

1 minute ago, Franchise_08 said:

It wasn't like Bartley was 6'6".  Did Crews think he was going to grow?