Marcus Bartley transferring

Marcus Bartley is transferring. Here's the two tweets from Wilson. I DM'd him after the first one to confirm that's what he was getting at -- he was (both confirmed directly from him and in that second tweet in the screen grab).

https://twitter.com/Brian_Haenchen/status/765914457830592516

Kind of weird timing with classes starting next week. 

Also, I struggle with counting and with memory -- this makes four, right? Jolly, Milik, Reynolds, now Bartley... Am I forgetting anyone?

(Also also, I miss all of you and I really miss covering the team. Just not the same out here in the frozen tundra that is South Dakota)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Brian Hank Haenchen said:

Marcus Bartley is transferring. Here's the two tweets from Wilson. I DM'd him after the first one to confirm that's what he was getting at -- he was (both confirmed directly from him and in that second tweet in the screen grab).

Also, I struggle with counting and with memory -- this makes four, right? Jolly, Milik, Reynolds, now Bartley... Am I forgetting anyone?

(Also also, I miss all of you and I really miss covering the team. Just not the same out here in the frozen tundra that is South Dakota)

Come back and replace stu then

Definitely weird timing.  Given that this upcoming season doesn't look like it will be anything special, Ford appears to be building toward the 2017-18 season, and has shown the ability to bring in players who are (on paper) more talented than Bartley, this does not seem to be a huge loss for SLU.  Playing with only 9 scholarship players (10? I guess at this point Hines gets his scholarship back) for the entire season is going to make for an even rougher season than originally thought.

Strange timing. Hurts short term. I thought he would be the likely starter at the 2 this season. I guess a chance for Zeke Moore to get a LOT of playing time? Long-term, glad Ford will have another scholarship to play around with. 

I sincerely hope this was Marcus' decision and not the coaches.

I'm not one of these people that is against under-performing players having their scholarships pulled, but I do believe there is a "right" time to do it and a wrong time. The right time is in the spring when they have a chance to go elsewhere. The wrong time is right before school starts when options may be limited. It's like firing an employee right before Christmas.

Again, I have no idea if it was coach initiated, player initiated or a blend of both, but I hope it was more player choice than anything else.

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not one of these people that is against under-performing players having their scholarships pulled, but I do believe there is a "right" time to do it and a wrong time. The right time is in the spring when they have a chance to go elsewhere. The wrong time is right before school starts when options may be limited. It's like firing an employee right before Christmas.

Again, I have no idea if it was coach initiated, player initiated or a blend of both, but I hope it was more player choice than anything else.

I wonder if there was a grade thing - just asking.  If he was going to leave then now is when he has to do it - he may already have a place reserved somewhere.  I agree a graduate senior guard would be a huge help for this year.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Yeah, this would be a bummer if Ford pulled the rug out from under the kid.

However, these students aren't dumb. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall and realized he was going to spend his senior year on the bench. Even if he improved, it was always going to be hard for him to get pt over the new coach's "guys". Can't blame him for wanting to see more of the court.

Best of luck, Marcus. Appreciated the effort you gave as a Billiken. Some program will be getting a very good shooter. 

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is a graduate transfer still out there that has connections to one of our assistants that could be immediately eligible for the roster spot that just opened up, Savon Goodman.

Savon Goodman had pretty good numbers at Arizona St..  He was set to transfer to LaSalle and pulled out a week after Will Bailey left LaSalle for his spot on Ford's staff.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Savon Goodman had pretty good numbers at Arizona St..  He was set to transfer to LaSalle and pulled out a week after Will Bailey left LaSalle for his spot on Ford's staff.

Well, this is interesting.

Still - if we're going to grab a one-year, immediately eligible grad transfer, my questions are why? And why now? This is a stop-gap season, anyway. We're probably not going to see .500, let alone postseason play. Is it worthwhile to run a third-year player off the day before he starts classes to fill his spot with a better player if the game outcomes this year are mostly irrelevant?

The ONLY justification is that we'd still be responsible for Bartley in 2017-2018, and a one-year grad transfer means that spot is open for another 2017 recruit. We all know Ford wants at least one more scholarship for 2017. That could've been someone who played this season and left in the spring/summer.

This timing is weird. I'd definitely like to know more about the story here.

39 minutes ago, Brian Hank Haenchen said:

Haenchen finna Haenchen.

Just now, Pistol said:

Well, this is interesting.

Still - if we're going to grab a one-year, immediately eligible grad transfer, my questions are why? And why now? This is a stop-gap season, anyway. We're probably not going to see .500, let alone postseason play. Is it worthwhile to run a third-year player off the day before he starts classes to fill his spot with a better player if the game outcomes this year are mostly irrelevant?

The ONLY justification is that we'd still be responsible for Bartley in 2017-2018, and a one-year grad transfer means that spot is open for another 2017 recruit. We all know Ford wants at least one more scholarship for 2017. That could've been someone who played this season and left in the spring/summer.

This timing is weird. I'd definitely like to know more about the story here.

I think I actually had the timing wrong on when Goodman backed out at LaSalle.  It didn't happen until June.

FWIW, I thought Bartley might have a nice role as a senior on the 2017-2018 team. If we're going to have a big, physical, driving PG like Goodwin bringing up the ball, we're going to need perimeter shooters to stretch defenses. Henriquez is a shooter, and Bishop is a shooter; the other two transfers are not. Bartley could've been useful as a role player on that team, because regardless of what you thought about his ceiling or the other aspects of his game, he was a smooth, mostly consistent shooter in his two seasons here. We don't know how good a shooter Moore or Welmer are yet, Gillmann hasn't been consistent enough with his shot. I kinda wish Bartley had gotten a full four-year chance here.

Agree that the timing is strange and hope it was Bartley's call.  I am going to hope that since BillikenBob mentioned it happening soon in the other thread first, his reason that the player saw the writing on the wall that he may not be getting much playing time his senior year with the transfers becoming eligible and he made the call.