Coach Ford

I recall Rick praising Kevin as a really good kid. Think he said one time if he had a son, he'd want him to be like Kevin. That said, both Kevin and Lidell didn't seem to take well to Rick's system or teaching methods. Too drastic a change for such a short period of time was just too much to ask of all involved. Rick could have adapted his methods to suit Kevin and Tommie, but evidently he felt it was better for the long term if he put his stamp on the program from day one. I know Lidell's father bristled at this approach. Didn't hear much from the Lisch camp. Broy would know best  what they were thinking that season.  

It certainly was a shame that two of the best players in Billiken history never made it to a dance.  I remember going to the UNC game in Chapel Hill, and UNC fans were impressed w/ both of our star Frosh.

-Coach Ford did an interview with Ch2 that will air over the weekend and I guess in parts until then as last night they played a snippet about playing Mizzou and TF said he would like the game but it is not as simple as fans might think to make it happen

I always expected good recruiting from ford.   It's been his M.O. everywhere he's been.   That said he has succeeded, it appears, far beyond expectations and I am thrilled with what we've seen so far because of his recruiting gets.  It couldn't have been easy selling the shambles of a program he walked into.

In about a month and a half ford's real test starts.   While recruiting has always been his strong point (and again it appears he is getting an A++ in recruiting)  ford teams have never been notated for development and floor play.   It will become Ford's make or break.  He definitely gets a complete mulligan for the upcoming season.   But we need to see a night and day difference when his talent takes over.   Especially considering the bulk of the expected lineup will have practiced as billikens for a year.

So we wait for about two years to really comment on what our whole coaching talent really is.   But for the meantime I must admit I'm as excited about billiken basketball as I've been for a long time.    It sure has been fun beaming about Goodwin to the Illinois fans I know.  ? 

3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

The guy just gets it...he is on campus right now welcoming students on Move In Day. Hope this equates to more buzz on campus. 

I bet he doesn't just do this because it's smart. I get the feeling he truly enjoys the college atmosphere and experience.

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

So we wait for about two years to really comment on what our whole coaching talent really is.   But for the meantime I must admit I'm as excited about billiken basketball as I've been for a long time.    It sure has been fun beaming about Goodwin to the Illinois fans I know.  ? 

Glad to hear you're excited about Goodwin, Roy. I hadn't seen you comment on it yet and I was worried that you heard on the Belleville streets that something shady had gone down and had become disillusioned with Ford. ?

what ive heard is that between tate and ford convincing goodwin he was capable of being a point guard that would lead the return of the program is what turned goodwin.   NO ONE else touched that button.   to get back in the game with goodwin after crews totally f'd that up is nothing short of incredible.   for that he gets nothing but kudos.

as to disillusioned, ford has exceeded my expectations thus far.   as good as i thought he would recruit, i didnt think he could assemble what appears to be such a good group of incoming players this quickly.   but as i said in my original thoughts, i will wait till spring 2018 to start weighing in on the entire body of work.   a coach cannot succeed (well maybe calipari has) on recruiting alone.  it's definitely important.   maybe most important.   but you have to be able to maximize that talent.   that's yet to be seen.   hope he's learned and will also exceed expectations in practice and games as well.  

9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Roy. More importantly. You know Jordan. Can he play PG for us and be good at it? Will he be able to handle the Havoc pressure? Will PG neutralize his rebounding skills?

ive never seen goodwin play point guard.   he is physically strong, a smart player and has decent handles.   if ford thinks he can be a point guard and compares him to marcus smart i say give it a try.   if after his freshmen season both goodwin and ford dont think it is the right spot they can adjust things thereafter.  but i am all for the chance. 

as to rebounding, i guess it depends how much ford will ask his point guard to play away from the basket when he doesnt have the ball.   obviously offensive reboundingwise, that would hamper that attribute.   defensively, jordan should still be the rebounding fiend he has always been.   

as to havoc,  the way to break full court pressure defense should only resort to a player dribbling through the defense as a last resort.   the way to beat the pressure is to pass out in front of the pressure and great spacing.   if we arent doing that, yeah we'll have trouble regardless of who is playing point guard.   i look at the point guard effectiveness as the player that can initiate the offense once they get past the half line.   baryley would pick up his dribble 2 steps past the line and pass to a wing 30 feet from the basket.   he circled around screens such that his defender had no problem staying in front of him.   this and slow reactions to defensive shifts made bartley ineffective as a point guard.   if goodwin does the same thing, he wont be a point guard.   we will just have to see how he performs.