Kevin Lisch versus USA

GOSLU68

Not to bring politics to the board while everyone is trying figure out who is less disgusting but Kevin Lisch will be representing Australia in game versus USA Supposedly time is Wednesday 5 PM.

Next year Lisch will be playing in Sydney for a different team. 

I sure hope our Billiken alums down under send us a recruit now and then. 

If Goodwin has Lisch's heart we are in for a ride.

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

bout a week late posting this

Sounds like he just wanted to make a quick statement for no reason, but I think the OP may have had a stroke based on that bizarre non sequitur and the week-late "news". GOSLU68, do you smell toast?

(Between this and the multiple threads dealing Roby's joke broken hand tweet, I think it would behoove some posters to do just a wee bit of reading before creating a thread.)

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Wait I thought Lisch was from Belleville? Are we sure it isn't Cody Ellis playing on this team?

This got me thinking about players who decided not to play for their birth national team and decided to play for the US instead like Duncan, Ewing and Olajuwon.  So I decided to take a quick glance at the current rosters at the countries where they came from originally.  I was a little surprised to see one time Billiken Jason Edwin was a member of the national team for the US Virgin Islands.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This got me thinking about players who decided not to play for their birth national team and decided to play for the US instead like Duncan, Ewing and Olajuwon.  So I decided to take a quick glance at the current rosters at the countries where they came from originally.  I was a little surprised to see one time Billiken Jason Edwin was a member of the national team for the US Virgin Islands.

Yeah, Jason had a quirky accent, as well. I remember one time he wrote the name of his hometown in black marker on his shoe, and Romar made him change shoes.

20 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Not to bring politics to the board while everyone is trying figure out who is less disgusting but Kevin Lisch will be representing Australia in game versus USA Supposedly time is Wednesday 5 PM.

Next year Lisch will be playing in Sydney for a different team. 

I sure hope our Billiken alums down under send us a recruit now and then. 

If Goodwin has Lisch's heart we are in for a ride.

Time for a nap, 68.

Fighting Kevin Lisches (Aussies) knocked off Lithuania in the quarterfinals earlier today 90 - 64.  

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/1708/Australia-Lithuania

Lisch played 15 mins, 0 pts, 2, rebs, 2 asst, 1 steal.  Patty Mills led the way with 24 points.

Aussies got a good draw with how the bracket worked out after the group games.  They finished 2nd in their group which puts them opposite USA & France (Parker, Batum, Diaw, Gobert, etc.).  The other group worked out such that Spain (Gasol, Rubio, Calderon, etc.) and Argentina (Ginobili, Scola, etc.) are on the opposite side of the bracket as well.

Aussies will play either Croatia (Saric, Bogdanovic, etc.) or Serbia (mostly foreign league guys & Aussies already beat them) in the semi-finals for a shot at (likely) USA in the gold medal game.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Fighting Kevin Lisches (Aussies) knocked off Lithuania in the quarterfinals earlier today 90 - 64.  

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/1708/Australia-Lithuania

Lisch played 15 mins, 0 pts, 2, rebs, 2 asst, 1 steal.  Patty Mills led the way with 24 points.

Aussies got a good draw with how the bracket worked out after the group games.  They finished 2nd in their group which puts them opposite USA & France (Parker, Batum, Diaw, Gobert, etc.).  The other group worked out such that Spain (Gasol, Rubio, Calderon, etc.) and Argentina (Ginobili, Scola, etc.) are on the opposite side of the bracket as well.

Aussies will play either Croatia (Saric, Bogdanovic, etc.) or Serbia (mostly foreign league guys & Aussies already beat them) in the semi-finals for a shot at (likely) USA in the gold medal game.

They are definitely in good shape to medal. Have looked like the second best team for most of the tournament.

Andrew Bogut (31) might not have much left in the tank going forward, but the Aussies should be formidable on the world stage for a while.  Most of their roster is young enough to probably be back in 4 years - Patty Mills (28), Matty Dellavedova (25), Joe Ingles (28), Ryan Broekhoff (25), Aron Baynes (29), Brock Motum (25) You could argue that 2 of their better young talents aren't even playing in the Olympics in Dante Exum (21, injury) and Ben Simmons (20).  Traditionally players of that caliber might decide to defect to the USA to play for a winner (see brianstl's post above re: Duncan, Olajuwon, & Ewing), but since Aussies are showing the ability to win, they might stay home and be inspired actually play for the Aussie national team (unlike Kyrie Irving who was born in Australia to US Citizens & chose to play for the US).  Hopefully, Lisch (30) can maintain his ability and spot on the national team going forward and have more success in the future.

I have a full life I guess some of you are on here, daily, year round.  Basketball really only happens in "R" months!

There were good reasons people avoided shellfish May-August as well.

A few of you are pretty snooty about your right to  dictate protocol on this board. You are certainly not endearing yourselves to people who come in an out. You remind of an old classmate who retired long ago bored with his work who wanted to remind everyone he studied all the time in highschool. As far as I could determine he never developed as a human being and he reads night and day with little involvement in society or beyond his own household. He had no kids, no hobbies, and nothing new to talk about. I am not sure how his wife tolerates him.

If there was a Lisch topic it was certainly buried. Should I apologize?

The politics mixed with sports is that Lisch is now an Australian forsaking a country whose leaders are seemingly wanting to give up much of the leadership of the last 60 years because it is dangerous to be a target or in spite of a call for nationalism wanting to be isolationist.

Maybe Australia is a younger country with a brighter now and a brighter future. 

I am happy to have grown up with parents who won WW II and who did not have to apologize for being better. 

Our local stations keep saying Kevin Lisch from Belleville. Do we have an active P-R 

department for SLU athletics- they should have been out their saying out former SLU star, Kevin Lisch. I was happy to see that he has reached these heights in basketball- he certainly gave us 4 exciting years of trying hard.

24 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

The politics mixed with sports is that Lisch is now an Australian forsaking a country whose leaders are seemingly wanting to give up much of the leadership of the last 60 years because it is dangerous to be a target or in spite of a call for nationalism wanting to be isolationist.

I am happy to have grown up with parents who won WW II and who did not have to apologize for being better.

Or maybe he just happened to marry an Australian, and live and play basketball professionally in Australia for several years?

Yeah, either that or something about yearning for a younger country and apologizing for WWII. A true 50/50 proposition.

12 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

I have a full life I guess some of you are on here, daily, year round.  Basketball really only happens in "R" months!

There were good reasons people avoided shellfish May-August as well.

A few of you are pretty snooty about your right to  dictate protocol on this board. You are certainly not endearing yourselves to people who come in an out. You remind of an old classmate who retired long ago bored with his work who wanted to remind everyone he studied all the time in highschool. As far as I could determine he never developed as a human being and he reads night and day with little involvement in society or beyond his own household. He had no kids, no hobbies, and nothing new to talk about. I am not sure how his wife tolerates him.

If there was a Lisch topic it was certainly buried. Should I apologize?

I am happy to have grown up with parents who won WW II and who did not have to apologize for being better

Our local stations keep saying Kevin Lisch from Belleville. Do we have an active P-R department for SLU athletics- they should have been out their saying out former SLU star, Kevin Lisch. I was happy to see that he has reached these heights in basketball- he certainly gave us 4 exciting years of trying hard.

You posted that he was playing the US a full week after the game happened. It doesn't take much time out from your life to realize that mistake.

As for the political stuff, you brought it up out of nowhere and it has no relation whatsoever to this or any other topic on this board. Your initial sentence in this thread and the two statements I bolded are absolutely bonkers. They're hard to even interpret. Can you just drop the weird political stuff already?

Lisch has dual citizenship. He lives and works in Australia, met and married an Australian woman, and had two children in Australia. He got his citizenship there this year. He does not give up his US citizenship in order to do this. You can have both. A lot of people do this. He can come back here and operate as a normal US citizen with absolutely no difference. He is not "forsaking" the nation of his birth. Dual citizenship is something that makes sense for him personally and professionally. It's a good, reasonable thing to do.

I'm not sure why some posters here have a hard time understanding the concept of dual citizenship.