Old Chicago Tribne article about Grawer

BLIKNS

Stumbled on this when trying to find info about Monroe Douglas ,and  where he was ranked in high school

articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-01-26/sports/8701070432_1_billikens-rich-grawer-roland-gray

Hope that works

7 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Stumbled on this when trying to find info about Monroe Douglas ,and  where he was ranked in high school

articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-01-26/sports/8701070432_1_billikens-rich-grawer-roland-gray

Hope that works

Nice

That article had links to the Rolland Gray Buzzer beater game against Loyola and Bonner's 45 point OT game.

Quite simply, Anthony Bonner turned into Superman for 8 incredible minutes of action Thursday night at the Rosemont Horizon.

And after his school-record 45 points had triggered St. Louis to its 102-86 overtime victory over Loyola, the Billikens` 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound senior explained why his magical transformation had occurred.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

``That`s what happens when you come to Michael Jordan`s town,`` said Bonner. ``You get the fever!``

It was white-hot fever. And Loyola had no Kryptonite to stop him.

Bonner hit 19 of 30 shots from the floor and all seven free throws he tried. He pulled down 20 rebounds. He made 5 assists and 4 steals. He scored 45 points and committed only one turnover in 45 minutes.

But those numbers only begin to explain Bonner`s performance in the final 7 minutes of regulation play and in the first minute of overtime. In that furious stretch, Bonner scored 24 consecutive Billiken points.

Starting when St. Louis trailed 75-65, Bonner hit his team`s last 19 points in regulation time, forcing overtime with a three-point play that tied it 84-84.

Then Bonner scored St. Louis` first five points in overtime, earning the Billikens` an 89-85 lead. Finally, he relaxed an watched his mates run up the score.

The victory gave St. Louis a 17-9 record overall, 9-4 in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference. Loyola is 6-20, 3-10.

``Never in 18 years of coaching have I seen a performance like that,``

said Loyola coach Will Rey. ``He`s the greatest competitor I`ve seen. He wanted the ball, and he got it. I`m his biggest fan.``

``Loyola knew we were going to Bonner,`` said St. Louis coach Rich Grawer. ``The crowd knew it. Loyola double-teamed him. Still he scored.``

Bonner popped jumpers from the key. He whirled left or right and drove for layups.

``I knew I wanted to take over,`` said Bonner. ``Keir Rogers and Keith Gailes were lighting it up for them. We were behind.``

His Jordanesque splurge, Bonner explained, was a matter of taking advantage of mismatches.

``Rogers (6-4, 180) is a great defensive man, but a lot shorter and smaller,`` said Bonner. ``I could shoot the jumper over him, or if he favored me left or right, I was confident I could go the other way. When they put a bigger man on me, he was a lot slower. It was really no contest. I`d take it to the basket.``

Bonner`s show spoiled noteworthy performances by several Ramblers. Rogers hit 8 of 11 shots, three from three-point range, and scored 30 before he fouled out. Gailes had three three-pointers among his 23 points. Freshman Brian Wolf scored 16 and knocked down two of his three three-pointers in a run that gave Loyola a 71-58 lead.

Rob Mizera, 6-6 walk-on, battled Bonner as tough as he could. And 5-9 Donny Sobczak went 9 for 10 from the foul line and hit a season-high 11 points.