Confused on a Zeke Moore Tweet

I am one of those technically challenged MBM.  I don't know how to embed a tweet.  But can anyone explain this August 6 tweet from Zeke Moore?  The red flag is Trinidad & Tobago.  Is Zeke on their National Team?  His tweets are at @Zeke_moore24

For those wondering where Im headed to, Im traveling to Trinidad for a month to play for the National team.?? We are playing in Jamaica! ??

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Zeke's a really good student.  He'll be alright.  Also, in the 21st century you're only an Internet connection away from downloading your assignments.

I understand that but for a freshman to miss the beginning of classes is not a good way to start off.  I am sure they will give him plenty of help to get caught up but I wouldn't want a kid not playing sports to have to do this.

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand that but for a freshman to miss the beginning of classes is not a good way to start off.  I am sure they will give him plenty of help to get caught up but I wouldn't want a kid not playing sports to have to do this.

I remember an earlier tweet from Zeke saying that he was taking summer classes at SLU and at the same time finishing up his HS classes. 

Come on cheeseman, the kid considers it a huge honor to play for the Trinidad & Tobago national team, where his father comes from. He will be playing in Jamaica, even better. What is so bad about this. He is not going to flunk out and he has already been taking care of some academic requirements. He will learn a lot about things he has only heard from his father, but never experienced. This will be a good experience for him and may really fill him with energy and desire to excel. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Come on cheeseman, the kid considers it a huge honor to play for the Trinidad & Tobago national team, where his father comes from. He will be playing in Jamaica, even better. What is so bad about this. He is not going to flunk out and he has already been taking care of some academic requirements. He will learn a lot about things he has only heard from his father, but never experienced. This will be a good experience for him and may really fill him with energy and desire to excel. 

Perhaps but it could also be his undoing.  Not my call his and his family and I am sure Ford agreed or at least Crews did and so Ford is stuck with it one way or the other.  People can do whatever they want but not all have to agree with it.

I agree the kid could be shooting himself in the foot, if he cannot recover from this extracurricular activity, but if this is the case it indeed was his choice and he will learn something from it, or not...

Hey A Bomb it may be Jamaican ice cubes, or bobsledding, but there certainly is something special about the Islands in the Caribbean. 

22 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

His dad's from Trinidad.  Children of a Trinidad citizen are automatically granted citizenship.

This. His dad also played on the T&T national team. Zeke is playing on the U19 team for the Caribbean Hoopfest in Jamaica. The event is from August 24-28, so I guess the "month" is from the practices in the lead-up to the event. He should be back and in class before the end of August. Plenty of kids register and get moving late; with mandatory study hall that freshman athletes have and any necessary professor/advisor tutoring, he'll be back in full swing by mid-September.

I wish I could provide more information, but their national basketball website has not been updated since 2009-2010 (seriously): http://www.latinbasket.com/Trinidad-and-Tobago/basketball-National-Team.asp

Their Facebook page is a little more help:

"National Basketball Federation of Trinidad and Tobago - NBFTT

Hello Everyone, please support the NBFTT as we are about to send out two National Teams - the U19 to the Hoopfest in Jamaica and the U15 to the Centrobasket in Patilles, Puerto Rico."

Students often switch into classes after the first week or two and manage just fine. Zeke will have plenty of support from the AD, and the understanding of his instructors. This isn't that strange of a situation and is one that instructors will be more than happy to deal with, as this seems like an excellent opportunity for Zeke.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Anyone see results from the Caribbean Hoopfest? Their website is useless.  I saw a tweet from Zeke that today was his first day of classes, so I figured he was back from Jamaica.

I tried yesterday to see what was up, but there was very little.  Apparently, T&T did win the gold medal, beating the USA.  However, I can't find anything to confirm that.  Even USA Basketball has nothing more recent for the Under-19 team than last year's world championships.  Anyway, on the T&T Facebook page, they have one older team picture that shows Zeke Moore, but the pictures after the gold-medal game have many fewer players and Zeke isn't seen.

Just now heading off to work so can't check, but the Kingston, Jamaica newspaper is called the The Gleaner. Maybe their site will have some results.

Couldn't find anything on the Gleaner, but the Caribbean Hoopfest Facebook page has some photos.  One group is titled "Caribbean Hoopfest USA vs Trinidad. Double over time game" but doesn't tell any more. I will assume Quality nailed it with a T&T win.  Obviously this was a low key tourney, but any international tourney is good exposure for SLU players.

If anyone on campus sees Zeke, it would be interesting to ask him about the Hoopfest.