Mount Rushmore of Billiken "local" recruits

bauman

Based purely on anticipation, high school reputation and excitement generated in the fan base,  I would put JG on my Mt. Rushmore of Billiken recruits from the immediate area.  This is limited to the last 30-35 years since I don't know how highly recruited Ed M was back in the late 1940s.  Based on my criteria in the first sentence, I would make that group of 4, JG, Winfield, Douglass and Hughes.  The ability and contribution to the success of Billiken basketball from Winfield and Douglass was exceeded by R. Gray and A. Bonner but they were not as big name recruits as Winfield and Monroe.

Am I missing someone?  Clearly Goodwin has a lot to prove, but the excitement of his commitment is exceeded only by "The Legend's" enrollment 

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

Based purely on anticipation, high school reputation and excitement generated in the fan base,  I would put JG on my Mt. Rushmore of Billiken recruits from the immediate area.  This is limited to the last 30-35 years since I don't know how highly recruited Ed M was back in the late 1940s.  Based on my criteria in the first sentence, I would make that group of 4, JG, Winfield, Douglass and Hughes.  The ability and contribution to the success of Billiken basketball from Winfield and Douglass was exceeded by R. Gray and A. Bonner but they were not as big name recruits as Winfield and Monroe.

Am I missing someone?  Clearly Goodwin has a lot to prove, but the excitement of his commitment is exceeded only by "The Legend's" enrollment 

I guess it matters if they ever had to play for the Bills.  I remember as a kid that Upchurch had as much hype as any recruit ever with maybe the exception of Hughes.

In my mind, you have to have played for the Bills to be on this list, but Lisch and Liddell should both be included in this discussion.  Maybe one of them should replace Winfield, but I'm not sure which one it would be.  Both the ILL "L" boys were very highly thought of.  Maybe we need a 5-6 headed Mt. Rushmore.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

In my mind, you have to have played for the Bills to be on this list, but Lisch and Liddell should both be included in this discussion.  Maybe one of them should replace Winfield, but I'm not sure which one it would be.  Both the ILL "L" boys were very highly thought of.  Maybe we need a 5-6 headed Mt. Rushmore.

-excitement, nice isn't it? with season ticket renewal deadline on Monday i wonder if this announcement makes a difference for anyone

I believe John Kilo was recruited by Kentucky in the 60's before he came to SLU;  we would also pick up great recruits from the Public High League in those days-how they ranked nationally I'm not sure-I'm not even sure they had national rankings like they have today;  When did McDonalds All-Americans 

2 hours ago, papal said:

I believe John Kilo was recruited by Kentucky in the 60's before he came to SLU;  we would also pick up great recruits from the Public High League in those days-how they ranked nationally I'm not sure-I'm not even sure they had national rankings like they have today;  When did McDonalds All-Americans 

I think the McDonald's All-American team began in the late '70s.  Wasn't Earvin "Magic" Johnson one of the first?

2 hours ago, papal said:

A couple of things:  when Kilo was recruited there wasn't ever the hype that there is today because Freshmen couldn't play back then so "prized " recruits weren't looked at as they are today.  More importantly, John Kilo didn't even start his Soph year , or his JR year if I recall correctly.  In fact, he never even averaged in double figures in any of his 3 years as a Billiken.  Don't get me wrong, he was a nice get by Bennington, I think, but he was not viewed as a big-time recruit..I really can't believe that KY ever offered him a scholarship.  He has done well in life as a local attorney and is a good guy, but not a big name recruit.

If any player might be viewed as a big-rep recruit around that timeframe, it more likely would have been Gary Garrison, who,led CBC to two consecutive state championships as a 6'8' All-State center.  Unfortunately, Garrison messed up his knee while dunking the ball early in his career and never recovered.

Claggs and Highmark were much more highly thought of as local recruits than Kilo.  I look forward to T Ford adding a few more local candidates for our Mt. Rushmore, over the next few years.  Go get 'em Travis.

47 minutes ago, bauman said:

A couple of things:  when Kilo was recruited there wasn't ever the hype that there is today because Freshmen couldn't play back then so "prized " recruits weren't looked at as they are today.  More importantly, John Kilo didn't even start his Soph year , or his JR year if I recall correctly.  In fact, he never even averaged in double figures in any of his 3 years as a Billiken.  Don't get me wrong, he was a nice get by Bennington, I think, but he was not viewed as a big-time recruit..I really can't believe that KY ever offered him a scholarship.  He has done well in life as a local attorney and is a good guy, but not a big name recruit.

If any player might be viewed as a big-rep recruit around that timeframe, it more likely would have been Gary Garrison, who,led CBC to two consecutive state championships as a 6'8' All-State center.  Unfortunately, Garrison messed up his knee while dunking the ball early in his career and never recovered.

Claggs and Highmark were much more highly thought of as local recruits than Kilo.  I look forward to T Ford adding a few more local candidates for our Mt. Rushmore, over the next few years.  Go get 'em Travis.

My father always said Gary Garrison would have been an NBa player if he even just one good knee.  It was amazing what he did with two wrecked knees.

Winfield gets forgotten.  He was huge.  Parade All American.  He was as well thought coming out of HS as the other Ritter stars were after him.  Julian could have gone anywhere he wanted.  It was just a foregone conclusion he was going to play for his dad.  Just never worked out.  He was a good player no doubt but didn't possess the right skills for his body type.  I think if he played now he would have had a much better career.

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

My father always said Gary Garrison would have been an NBa player if he even just one good knee.  It was amazing what he did with two wrecked knees.

Winfield gets forgotten.  He was huge.  Parade All American.  He was as well thought coming out of HS as the other Ritter stars were after him.  Julian could have gone anywhere he wanted.  It was just a foregone conclusion he was going to play for his dad.  Just never worked out.  He was a good player no doubt but didn't possess the right skills for his body type.  I think if he played now he would have had a much better career.

anyone know how the Winfields are doing?

14 hours ago, almaman said:

anyone know how the Winfields are doing?

Julian is part of the Knights Basketball Academy here in town.  Don't know what else he is doing.

Winfield_sml.jpg?ver=2015-10-26-152924-3

Julian Winfield- Coach/Trainer

• Played professionally in the Chinese Basketball Association
  • Starter at SLU (1 yr.), Mizzou (3 yrs.)
  • Big 8 All-Defensive Team (3 yrs.), AP Second Team All-Big 8
  • Played in NCAA Sweet 16 & Elite 8
  • High school All-American and Gatorade Missouri Player of the Year

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Julian is part of the Knights Basketball Academy here in town.  Don't know what else he is doing.

Winfield_sml.jpg?ver=2015-10-26-152924-3

Julian Winfield- Coach/Trainer

• Played professionally in the Chinese Basketball Association
  • Starter at SLU (1 yr.), Mizzou (3 yrs.)
  • Big 8 All-Defensive Team (3 yrs.), AP Second Team All-Big 8
  • Played in NCAA Sweet 16 & Elite 8
  • High school All-American and Gatorade Missouri Player of the Year

thnx. Paying gig I assume