Welcome to SLU, Jordan Goodwin!

Pistol

i will say I think even I underestimated the impact of Goodwin's commitment. National folks, local folks, opposing fan bases, Corey Frazier, Erwin Claggett, That dude at the post who thinks every local kid should go to slu.  Everyone is talking about it. 

Happy Friday. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

This guy David Theisen (Illini101458) on twitter is all over talking about SLU bribing Goodwin.  Crazy

A text book salesman would have a lot of experience in corruption and payoffs.

Hey guys, Illini fan here in peace.

First off, congrats on the commitment! You got a heck of a player and someone who will take you guys far. It'll be a fun 4 years of j-good.

Second, please ignore our moronic fans who feel it necessary to use social media to vent their frustration. They're losers. Unfortunately, every fan base has that small percentage of people who forget we're the adults following high school kids, lol

Third, a lot of our fan base frustration comes from the fact Goodwin hasn't responded to our coaches in nearly a month( probably when he decided on SLU). Just a tough situation for a staff that has followed you the hardest for nearly 5 years, but that's recruiting. It has an ugly side. Credit to Ford/Tate for getting it done.

Lastly, stay away from Tilmon. :)

Congrats, again!

From ESPN Insider:

Travis Ford began his first full recruiting class at Saint Louis with a bang on Friday as Jordan Goodwin, the 53rd ranked prospect in the ESPN 100, announced his commitment over social media. Here's a look at what he'll bring to the Billikens.

Why he committed: Goodwin had racked up scholarship offers from some of the most well-known programs in college basketball before trimming his list to just seven schools a few weeks ago. Ultimately though, this ended up being a two-horse race as Saint Louis was able to overcome Illinois, who had long been perceived as the leader for Goodwin. The game changer for Ford was the recent addition of Corey Tate to his staff. Tate, the former Missouri assistant, has roots in the Saint Louis Eagles program with which Goodwin starred, and helped to deliver this pivotal pledge.

What he brings: Goodwin is a scorer and playmaker on the perimeter, but what really differentiates him is his toughness. A "beast" in the absolute best sense of the word, Goodwin is physical and aggressive on both ends of the floor. He can overpower or overwhelm opposing defenders with raw force while also offering tremendous versatility and deceptive basketball I.Q. He's a multi-positional type of player whose passing instinct allows him to initiate offense at times, yet he has the power and mentality to be able to defend bigger players.

How he fits: Goodwin is the ideal start for Ford at Saint Louis for a number of reasons. First and most obvious, his talent level is such that he is going to be able to come right in and make an immediate impact. Just as important for a first year head coach is the impact that a player like Goodwin has on a team's culture as he'll be able to assert himself as a leader and impose his toughness and tenacity on the rest of the team.

How the class is shaping up:Goodwin is the first player to commit to Saint Louis in the class of 2017 and this is just the type of early splash that every first year head coach looks to make on the recruiting trail because it generates instantaneous momentum. When one ESPN 100 or similar caliber prospect breaks the ice, it opens the door for others to considering following suit. The new Billikens staff is looking to add an immediate impact frontcourt player and perhaps as many as two more perimeter pieces who can help to increase both the playmaking and perimeter shooting that Ford's best teams over the years have thrived with.

Who he reminds us of: There games may be slightly different from a positional standpoint, but Goodwin brings the same type of powerful playmaking and ultra-tough type mentality that Ford saw when coaching Marcus Smart for two years at Oklahoma State and he's likely to utilize Goodwin in similar ways.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

i will say I think even I underestimated the impact of Goodwin's commitment. National folks, local folks, opposing fan bases, Corey Frazier, Erwin Claggett, That dude at the post who thinks every local kid should go to slu.  Everyone is talking about it. 

Happy Friday. 

This is really true. Besides the obvious that we are getting a great player I feel like he can be the type of kid that opens up the floodgates to other locals (maybe 2017 but more likely 2018) Hopefully I'm not just overly excited by the moment but it seems like there is no limit to what talent ford can recruit here.

I know it has been acknowledged by many already, but I can't stress enough how great of a job Ford did here. Goodwin was likely was coming here regardless of the Tate hire. Once he was hired, it was locked up. If I was the coach of a team hoping to recruit the St. Louis area in the future I would be very scared of Ford and Tate. This is only the beginning.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can somebody find that post of the Goodwin quote where he said he liked SLU but not to tell anyone?

I think the guy deleted it after everyone gave him a hard time for violating Goodwin's trust like that.  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the guy deleted it after everyone gave him a hard time for violating Goodwin's trust like that.  

This. I was able to do some searching and find the page, but now it's just people getting confused, thinking it was Jayson Tatum, and giving the poster a hard time for violating Goodwin's trust.

here is the page:

3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

From ESPN Insider:

Travis Ford began his first full recruiting class at Saint Louis with a bang on Friday as Jordan Goodwin, the 53rd ranked prospect in the ESPN 100, announced his commitment over social media. Here's a look at what he'll bring to the Billikens.

Why he committed: Goodwin had racked up scholarship offers from some of the most well-known programs in college basketball before trimming his list to just seven schools a few weeks ago. Ultimately though, this ended up being a two-horse race as Saint Louis was able to overcome Illinois, who had long been perceived as the leader for Goodwin. The game changer for Ford was the recent addition of Corey Tate to his staff. Tate, the former Missouri assistant, has roots in the Saint Louis Eagles program with which Goodwin starred, and helped to deliver this pivotal pledge.

What he brings: Goodwin is a scorer and playmaker on the perimeter, but what really differentiates him is his toughness. A "beast" in the absolute best sense of the word, Goodwin is physical and aggressive on both ends of the floor. He can overpower or overwhelm opposing defenders with raw force while also offering tremendous versatility and deceptive basketball I.Q. He's a multi-positional type of player whose passing instinct allows him to initiate offense at times, yet he has the power and mentality to be able to defend bigger players.

How he fits: Goodwin is the ideal start for Ford at Saint Louis for a number of reasons. First and most obvious, his talent level is such that he is going to be able to come right in and make an immediate impact. Just as important for a first year head coach is the impact that a player like Goodwin has on a team's culture as he'll be able to assert himself as a leader and impose his toughness and tenacity on the rest of the team.

How the class is shaping up:Goodwin is the first player to commit to Saint Louis in the class of 2017 and this is just the type of early splash that every first year head coach looks to make on the recruiting trail because it generates instantaneous momentum. When one ESPN 100 or similar caliber prospect breaks the ice, it opens the door for others to considering following suit. The new Billikens staff is looking to add an immediate impact frontcourt player and perhaps as many as two more perimeter pieces who can help to increase both the playmaking and perimeter shooting that Ford's best teams over the years have thrived with.

Who he reminds us of: There games may be slightly different from a positional standpoint, but Goodwin brings the same type of powerful playmaking and ultra-tough type mentality that Ford saw when coaching Marcus Smart for two years at Oklahoma State and he's likely to utilize Goodwin in similar ways.

Interesting what the author is saying (bad grammar and all) about what the coaching staff still wants for the 2017 class.  Sounds like Roby, Bartley, Moore, and Hines really will be playing just to keep their spot on the roster this year.

It started with Foreman, then the other two transfers, but this is a big piece. How exciting to be a Bills fan! Love JG's story of being chased by a Billiken.

So true, three or four guys will be playing for their spots in 2017. The board will soon re-hash the ethics of recruiting over current players. We will be winning. Fast may it come and long may it continue.

18 minutes ago, William Iken said:

It started with Foreman, then the other two transfers, but this is a big piece. How exciting to be a Bills fan! Love JG's story of being chased by a Billiken.

So true, three or four guys will be playing for their spots in 2017. The board will soon re-hash the ethics of recruiting over current players. We will be winning. Fast may it come and long may it continue.

Who hasn't had a nightmare of The Billiken chasing them?

6 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Who hasn't had a nightmare of The Billiken chasing them?

Being chased seems to be the most common type of dream, according to some sleep researchers. You'd have to guess that a Billiken would be involved in one sooner or later, I'm just thankful that it happened to Mr. Goodwin.

I was already looking forward to the 17-18 season with the three power conference transfers becoming eligible. This now makes it almost a given that the team will be tourney bound that season. 

What will make this upcoming season enjoyable will be seeing who will take on the challenge to show Ford that they should be part of a rotation moving forward. With only 10 scholarship players available, there will be plenty of opportunity to make a positive  (or negative) impression during the year. 

Particularly, I think you'll see Moore, Johnson and Neufeld try to position themselves ahead of Roby, Bartley and Gillman moving into 17-18. (Bishop is probably secure and Welmer won't be interested in transferring after already dealing with a redshirt.) The underclassmen who can't outplay the upperclassmen this year will then look to transfer, knowing playing time moving forward will be tougher to come by.

This season could be the most fun 14-15 win season ever.

9 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Loving Goodwin's dream

“What really got me about SLU was I had a dream about it,” he said. “I was being chased by a Billiken. In my dream I was running and I went to the arena — and that’s when the Billiken finally caught me.

This should defintely be part of the starting lineup video in 2017.

Just getting back from an oil rig, was following this right up to the wire yesterday then had to crank off into the Mojave for a 30-hour peyote binge.  (Not that much of a lie)

Just got to the airport in Vegas, and I'm yelling WOO WOO like Terry Tate.

HATE HATE HATE to JGOOD and TFORD.

Billllllliiiiesssssss