Goodwin Info

Ibruce

2 hours ago, bonwich said:

Hanging curve ball. Already swung at, but needs to be driven out of the park.

Aw, c'mon, Cowboy. Anyone who reads the board can see that you don't know Jack Schmidt. 

(Unless, of course, you bought your Ford on the east side. ;) ) 

-no doubt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, slu72 said:

. Kind of ironic that probably the worst coach we've had in the last 20-30 years is the only one to ever have won a national COY award.

Right. In a perfect world, Coach Majerus would have been awarded the COY, posthumously, two years in a row. 

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It has been fun to follow some of the meltdown on the Goodwin recruitment on one of the Illini boards.

I noticed that too over the weekend. Some people claim SLU is in the driver's seat and the world is ending, while others claim there is no way they could lose a recruit to SLU. It's been pretty entertaining. Even a couple of Illini blogs wrote about the possibility. 

http://writingillini.com/2016/08/07/illinois-basketball-saint-louis-a-real-threat-for-jordan-goodwin/?platform=hootsuite
http://illiniboard.com/2016/08/07/devils-advocate/

10 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I noticed that too over the weekend. Some people claim SLU is in the driver's seat and the world is ending, while others claim there is no way they could lose a recruit to SLU. It's been pretty entertaining. Even a couple of Illini blogs wrote about the possibility. 

http://writingillini.com/2016/08/07/illinois-basketball-saint-louis-a-real-threat-for-jordan-goodwin/?platform=hootsuite

That first blog doesn't seem to know much about SLU, not that I am surprised.  He mentions nobody is committed for 2017 yet but doesn't mention that SLU will have 3 transfers starting that year.  I don't think the future is as bad as he makes it seem here as Goodwin would have some solid pieces around him his freshmen year.  

Seeing some speculation on Twitter, from Roy Schmidt and others, that Goodwin probably commits before that October 23rd date. Some, albeit regular fans, are saying as soon as this week after JG tweeted about something coming soon. Pure speculation to be sure, but perhaps something is coming soon. 

26 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I love the last line. Yeah, if he wants to play in the NBA Illinois is his only chance. He goes anywhere else and he's screwed.

It is not their fault - they live in a bubble and echo chamber - all Power 5 Conference schools do.  What they all fail to understand and don't want to is that good players are found by the pros either in the USA or overseas.  They pay scouts to do this.  I really think they probably did not even know that we got 3 transfers for the next year.  They live in their own parallel universe where as a school like SLU has to be very aware of the entire landscape.

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

That first blog doesn't seem to know much about SLU, not that I am surprised.  He mentions nobody is committed for 2017 yet but doesn't mention that SLU will have 3 transfers starting that year.  I don't think the future is as bad as he makes it seem here as Goodwin would have some solid pieces around him his freshmen year.  

These "blogs" are basically posts by MBM's. College sports sites, especially at the big state schools, produce some of the most delusional, inaccurate rubbish.

I got a chuckle out of all the talk about the Illini "winning." Sure we turned into a dumpster fire quickly, but we have made the tourney more recently, cracked the top 10 more recently and had a three year Tourney run more recently than Illinois. The author also does not acknowledge that Groce is on the hot seat. If they had not fired their AD last year and had to deal with cleaning up their football mess, Groce very well could have been canned. Groce clearly enters this season on the hot seat. Any kid that signs with him is taking a risk.

Also, if you look at Ford's track record vs. Groce's, is Groce really better? He made one Sweet 16, but was 34-30 in the Mid-American Conference. Ford has much more job stability at this point.

Here is the pitch you make to Goodwin: 1) Closer to home 2) Coach with more job security 3) Tate on staff 4) Opportunity to jump in and make an instant impact 5) The makings of a nice core that could have the potential to turn things around quickly: Henriquez, Foreman, Bess and Bishop, to go along with Goodwin. Could be pretty good.

Just now, ACE said:

These "blogs" are basically posts by MBM's. College sports sites, especially at the big state schools, produce some of the most delusional, inaccurate rubbish.

I got a chuckle out of all the talk about the Illini "winning." Sure we turned into a dumpster fire quickly, but we have made the tourney more recently, cracked the top 10 more recently and had a three year Tourney run more recently than Illinois. The author also does not acknowledge that Groce is on the hot seat. If they had not fired their AD last year and had to deal with cleaning up their football mess, Groce very well could have been canned. Groce clearly enters this season on the hot seat. Any kid that signs with him is taking a risk.

Also, if you look at Ford's track record vs. Groce's, is Groce really better? He made one Sweet 16, but was 34-30 in the Mid-American Conference. Ford has much more job stability at this point.

Here is the pitch you make to Goodwin: 1) Closer to home 2) Coach with more job security 3) Tate on staff 4) Opportunity to jump in and make an instant impact 5) The makings of a nice core that could have the potential to turn things around quickly: Henriquez, Foreman, Bess and Bishop, to go along with Goodwin. Could be pretty good.

I don't know which blog said it, but on a recent Ilini post they said "plus, Travis Ford has no recruits for 2017 so SLU will be bad for a long time."  I guess he didn't check the 3 transfers coming in? 

Those blogs were a hoot! 

1. NCAA Tourney appearances since 2011? Illinois - 2 Saint Louis - 3. An arbitrary number, yes, but I'd imagine more relevant to these kids than saying "we've been to x amount of tournaments since 1945!"
2. How many players under Groce have gone on to play in the NBA? And Ford? Honest question, I don't know the answer. I'd imagine Ford has the advantage here.

Also - Hey guys

Also, also - The fact that the "l" and "u" in my profile name are lowercase is really bothering me. Is there any way to right this wrong and capitalize them?

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Take this however you want, but someone on the Illini Loyality board is claiming Goodwin will no longer be taking an official visit to Illinois.

With recruiting it is hard to ever know who truly has "inside" information, however, it is certainly encouraging to see all of the smoke of late is favorable for SLU and that has to tell us something. I am a huge fan of Goodwin, so I am thrilled to see Ford and his staff come in and get us back into contention for the kid.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

I assume the consensus of the board gives Tate a good portion of Goodwin's apparent change in heart. Correct?

It is not their fault - they live in a bubble and echo chamber - all Power 5 Conference schools do.  What they all fail to understand and don't want to is that good players are found by the pros either in the USA or overseas.  They pay scouts to do this.  I really think they probably did not even know that we got 3 transfers for the next year.  They live in their own parallel universe where as a school like SLU has to be very aware of the entire landscape.

19 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Also - Hey guys

Also, also - The fact that the "l" and "u" in my profile name are lowercase is really bothering me. Is there any way to right this wrong and capitalize them?

Welcome to the board.

Your question is probably best answered by @SluSignGuy.  I know there is a way to change user names because a couple of posters have done so in the past.