Goodwin Info

Ibruce

of the most productive and college ready players in the class of 2017 is Jordan Goodwin. The Illinois native has always held the Illinois Fighting Illini in a high regard, but now keep a very close eye on St. Louis.

Since getting the job Travis Ford has made a tremendous push to get Goodwin, and while this is far from a consensus, you can find people close to the kid who feel that the Billikens may actually be the most likely destination. Also it is worth noting that St. Louis just hired former St. Louis Eagles coach Corey Tate as an assistant coach, so that could help as well.

Creighton, Butler, Northwestern, and to an extent Missouri still remain somewhat on the list, and could get visits, but it is very possible that this turns into an Illinois v SLU battle for one of the most productive players in the class.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SShoe said:

Would you rather get Goodwin, a likely 4-year player, or Tatum for one year?

2 reasons for Goodwin:

First reason, if Crews got Tatum to sign, he would not have been fired.

Second, if Tatum came for just the 16-17 season, I don't think it would done any good. Teams would just doubled and tripled up on him and shut him down. It would have looked like that NCAA game when Hughes played UK with a far worse supporting cast. For the season we would had more wins then the previous 2 seasons but, at best, a NIT or CBI invite.

Now if Tatum came for 17-18 season and TF was coach, I have to give that some thought.

34 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

2 reasons for Goodwin:

Second, if Tatum came for just the 16-17 season, I don't think it would done any good. Teams would just doubled and tripled up on him and shut him down. It would have looked like that NCAA game when Hughes playing UK with a far worse supporting cast. For the season we would had more wins then the previous 2 seasons but, at best, a NIT or CBI invite.

Now if Tatum came for 17-18 season and TF was coach, I have to give that some thought.

-what tarheel said plus having a 4 year player might provide additional recruiting advantages

Tarheelbilliken, somehow Tatum playing in a team coached by Crews is an idea that just does not jell in my mind. Yes he might have done great for a year and keep Crews alive for an extra year or so. But just imagine Crews getting sore with Tatum and benching him, as he used to do, for not doing exactly as he wanted. Could Tatum have played very well under those conditions? I know he is a great player, but really Crews just might have been a great spoiler for this kid's future. 

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Depends on how good the rest of the team is, but I'd say Goodwin given the current roster. Adding Tatum to our 2013 team would have put us in the Final Four

I think another good piece would've done that. A Willie Reed type - a borderline NBA player. A 1st team AA guy like Tatum would've turned us into the best team in the country.

22 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

2 reasons for Goodwin:

Second, if Tatum came for just the 16-17 season, I don't think it would done any good. Teams would just doubled and tripled up on him and shut him down. It would have looked like that NCAA game when Hughes played UK with a far worse supporting cast. For the season we would had more wins then the previous 2 seasons but, at best, a NIT or CBI invite.

You're crazy if you don't think we were making the NCAA in that theoretical situation. 

16 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I think another good piece would've done that. A Willie Reed type - a borderline NBA player. A 1st team AA guy like Tatum would've turned us into the best team in the country.

*2014 and we were a Fab Five caliber team. 

8 hours ago, abas115 said:

You're crazy if you don't think we were making the NCAA in that theoretical situation. 

*2014 and we were a Fab Five caliber team. 

Are you talking about the talent hypothetically Tatum would been playing with for the 16-17 season with Crews coaching? I hate to break it to you the talent you are going to witness this next season is totally awful. Hopefully they will show some heart, play hard and maybe beat out another 11 win season. Tatum would had no support and with Crews coaching, with his lack of preparation and coaching strategy, the problem would been compounded.

As far getting Tatum for the 17-18 season over Goodwin, I am leaning for a player that would be with us 4 years were we can build around rather then one and done. We are not Kentucky or a Duke were they reload every year with mickeyD all-Americans.

23 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

Maybe. If they can get past Lehigh or Mercer in the first round.

Duke is loaded for bear this year. The only problem might be the game's only played w/ one ball. Although, Coach K has shown he can fix that problem.

37 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

If we're talking what-if scenarios, the best would have been if Crews was fired during/after the first awful season and the new coach had time to woo Tatum.

Or if we talk back to the past, the best would have been to give him a one time bonus and thank him for filling in so adequately for Rick and getting named COY. Although, with those players we could have got the same results. They didn't need a coach just a shoulder to cry on. It was that COY award I think that sealed our fate with Jimmy. We all thought it would have been hard to pull the rug out from underneath him after winning it. Kind of ironic that probably the worst coach we've had in the last 20-30 years is the only one to ever have won a national COY award.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Or if we talk back to the past, the best would have been to give him a one time bonus and thank him for filling in so adequately for Rick and getting named COY. Although, with those players we could have got the same results. They didn't need a coach just a shoulder to cry on. It was that COY award I think that sealed our fate with Jimmy. We all thought it would have been hard to pull the rug out from underneath him after winning it. Kind of ironic that probably the worst coach we've had in the last 20-30 years is the only one to ever have won a national COY award.

I am pretty sure Spoon won a national COY during his run.

When you play what if and decide that the best outcome would have been to send Crews home after his year as interim and after his COY, perhaps with a nice fat bonus that shows how grateful we were, and then hire a new HC you have a completely new scenario in terms of recruitment. Crews would not have been recruiting, the new coach would have, that means we would most likely  have had different players and a different level of performance in competitive play. This may have been a significant factor in getting Tatum enrolled at SLU.