Goodwin Info

Ibruce

1 minute ago, hsmith19 said:

If we're talking Jackie Robinson era, Dick Groat has a long list of "only evers." Only inductee into both the College Basketball and College Baseball Halls of Fame, only National College Basketball Player of the Year to also play MLB, only MLB MVP to also play in the NBA, etc.

I think Dick Groat is still part of the Pitt Panthers basketball radio broadcasts.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I think Dick Groat is still part of the Pitt Panthers basketball radio broadcasts.

I remember him being honored when Duke played Pitt a few years ago. It would be cool to get Pitt to play a game at Chaifetz while he's still broadcasting. I don't think they have ever come here in my lifetime. Groat was only a Cardinal a few years, but he had arguably his best season with them.

13 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

If we're talking Jackie Robinson era, Dick Groat has a long list of "only evers." Only inductee into both the College Basketball and College Baseball Halls of Fame, only National College Basketball Player of the Year to also play MLB, only MLB MVP to also play in the NBA, only player to ever make two All-American basketball teams and win two World Series, etc.

-impressive

22 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

Justin Gage started out playing both at Mizzou, but I think he skipped basketball his senior year in the runup to the NFL draft. He's the closest I can remember.

If I recall correctly Joe Mauer the catcher was USA Today player of the year in high school football and baseball

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Scott Rolen had an offer to play basketball at OSU under Sutton

Kenny Lofton and Tim Stoddard only players to play in the Final Four and the World Series. Ironically, both attended East Chicago's Washington High. Lofton missed cutting down the nets backing up the great Sean Elliott with Lute at Arizona, and a ring with Cleveland in 95 and San Fran in 02; Stoddard won both an NCAA Championship with NC State and a World Series with the O's.

On 8/29/2016 at 1:02 PM, Box and Won said:

My next-door neighbor Leon was a two-sport athlete.  Don't quote me on that though.

I can confirm nickname was Neon Leon