Goodwin Info

Ibruce

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, I am against any kid playing football, but we probably don't need to get into that discussion.

However, I do think having kids play multiple sports growing up is good for their athletic development and often times you can tell the basketball players who also have a football background due to their seemingly natural toughness, strength, and competitiveness. Obviously kids can develop those traits without playing football, see a kid like Kevin Lisch or Dwayne Evans who I don't recall playing other sports in high school.

Specifically with regards to Goodwin, I am not sure what got him and some of his basketball teammates to decide to start playing football at Althoff, but I think that was a good experience for those guys as they contributed to a team that made a run to the state championship game. At this point with him committed to SLU, I would have preferred to see him hang up the cleats. Also, I have heard that while he is considered a better recruit currently in basketball, he has a higher upside playing football. I heard a recruiting expert say he is one of the top 5 prospects in the area and if he focused on football and learning the TE position he would have a number of SEC and Big Ten programs calling him up. So while basketball seems like the obvious choice to some, the guy said he actually has a better chance being a pro in this country playing football.   

Former SLU recruit also is back playing high school football this his Senior year prior to attending and playing for Yale next year. Believe he tweaked a knee his Soph year, sat out football as a Junior and is now back on the football field.

The appeal of high school is far greater than any other sport in luding basketball. Friday night games under the lights, social event for students as well as parents and middle school students, recent grads coming back home on a weekend, marching band, dance team, cheerleaders, alumni, faculty boosters, boys wear jerseys to school, girls wear cheerleader outfits, full year/summer of lifting weights and comraderie... There is a reason football is king.

Enjoy the moment Goodwin, Yess and others!!

15 hours ago, almaman said:

I'm all for 2 sport guys. one of biggest bummers in sports history was Bo Jackson's injury. I am glad he's playing both.

It is extremely difficult for a collegiate athlete to play both football and basketball at a high D1 level and succeed at both.  The usual case is for a player plays football and walk on as a basketball player.  But he joins the hoops team after football is over in mid-winter.  So his bball contributions will be limited.  There are a few who have played one year in football after playing four in basketball, (Greg Paulus) and there are those that have played professionally in one of the sports having not played in college (Antonio Gates).  But does anyone know of any players who successfully contributed to four years of high D1 football and hoops?

There was a point guard player from Maplewood - RH whom I believe went to U of Minnesota to play both sports.  He was a wide receiver.  I believe he tried it for a year or two, but really dropped off the map.

Bottom line, you gotta pick one of the other.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

There is a reason football is king.

Football might still be king, but that may not last too much longer as we learn more and more about the long term impacts of playing the sport.

Goodwin playing WR and essentially just running down the field is about as low risk as you can get on the football field. I imagine a number of kids playing in the secondary for teams across the river also hoped Goodwin stuck to just playing basketball.

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was a point guard player from Maplewood - RH whom I believe went to U of Minnesota to play both sports.  He was a wide receiver.  I believe he tried it for a year or two, but really dropped off the map.

Bryant Allen, what an athlete. The last I heard was that he transferred to Illinois State to play just hoops, played the second half of a season, was a starter the next season, and then got dismissed from the team. Not sure where he ended up after putting up some nice numbers at Illinois State.

I guess I am being a bit of homer  but since he committed to SLU I have a vested interest in keeping him from getting hurt unnecessarily so playing football is not something I am interested in hearing - of course it is his choice.  Now I guess if he had chosen Illini then I wouldn't care.  One thing that did cross my mind and I know this is not exactly the same but the kid from Effingham that Grawer got was a very highly regarded recruit - he kept hurting his knee and finally it killed his career ( yes I know he hurt it playing BB not football).  

50 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I guess I am being a bit of homer  but since he committed to SLU I have a vested interest in keeping him from getting hurt unnecessarily so playing football is not something I am interested in hearing - of course it is his choice.  Now I guess if he had chosen Illini then I wouldn't care.  One thing that did cross my mind and I know this is not exactly the same but the kid from Effingham that Grawer got was a very highly regarded recruit - he kept hurting his knee and finally it killed his career ( yes I know he hurt it playing BB not football).  

Are you talking about Ryan Grant?

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Bryant Allen, what an athlete. The last I heard was that he transferred to Illinois State to play just hoops, played the second half of a season, was a starter the next season, and then got dismissed from the team. Not sure where he ended up after putting up some nice numbers at Illinois State.

That's him.  A google search shows him on the 2014-15 Dakota State Trojans as a senior. They are NAIA.  Here is a little blurb on him:

Bryant Allen tied for sixth most 3-pointers made in a single game with seven versus Dickinson State (N.D.) in the NSAA quarterfinals on Feb. 26.  Also in that game, he tied for the seventh-most points scored with 40, tied for ninth-most field goals made with 14, and tied for 10th-most 3-point field goal percentage (7-of-10 – 70.0 percent).

Allen drained a total of 76 3-pointers in 2014-15, sixth-most 3-pointers made in a single season in the Trojan men's basketball record book.  He also was tied for sixth for the best 3-point field goal percentage with 75 percent (6-of-8 3-pointers at Trinity Bible on Jan. 17). 

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Chosen. You must really hate football. 

I love football as a fan, but hearing about all of these former football players and the health issues they are dealing with, I certainly would not allow my son (if I had one) to play the sport in its current form. I know this probably makes me a *****, but some scary stuff. Just google Michael Keck. I shouldn't have brought any of this up to begin with since it is irrelevant to the discussion beyond thinking the wise decision for Goodwin at this point would have been to end his football career. At least he is playing a position and a role that is very low risk.

Allen was going to walk on at Minnesota.  He was returning a punt and got his clocked cleaned.  I can't find the video but the hit he suffered ruined his career.  Bounced around playing low level college hoops.

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

But does anyone know of any players who successfully contributed to four years of high D1 football and hoops?

Justin Gage started out playing both at Mizzou, but I think he skipped basketball his senior year in the runup to the NFL draft. He's the closest I can remember.

There's no doubt Goodwin wanted to play football and loves the sport. It's nice to have him working hard physically leading up to the basketball season, too.

There's also no doubt the injury risk is huge in that sport. It has to make all of us at least a little bit nervous. He's our program's most valuable asset right now. Gotta keep the head and knees and back in good shape. I guess WR is better than RB, but there's still big-hit potential there. Wish he were the punter or kicker.

Side story, we were in the pediatrician's office last week for our son's 2-month checkup. After reading his measurements, she went, "So big! I bet you're already thinking about what sports he'll play! Just no football, please."

23 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Julius Peppers played on the UNC final 4 team in the early 2000s. But he only played 2nyears there. 

Don't forget legendary Indianapolis Colts TE Marcus Pollard, who used to crush opponents on the hardwood at Bradley.

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The few athletes gifted enough to play both sports at the high major level, like Tony Gonzales, Rickey Dudley or Julius Peppers, don't stay in college 4 years. They all left school early to play football. Agreed, you have to pick one or the other.

Don't forget legendary Oregon athlete Mel Renfro, who won multiple Super Bowls with the Cowboys in the 1970s. He was an All-American track runner in Eugene. Dave Winfield at Minnesota, John Elway was drafted by the Yankees, etc.

Tony Gonzalez was a starter on a Sweet 16 at Cal.  Julious Thomas was a pretty good college basketball player in a smaller conference.  Charlie ward won the Heisman and was a first round NBA draft pick.

Going way back............... Jackie Robinson was probably the best player on his UCLA basketball, football, and baseball team.  Plus he won an NCAA title in the broad jump.  Jim Brown averaged double figures at Cuse and was probably the best lacrosse player ever.

If we're talking Jackie Robinson era, Dick Groat has a long list of "only evers." Only inductee into both the College Basketball and College Baseball Halls of Fame, only National College Basketball Player of the Year to also play MLB, only MLB MVP to also play in the NBA, only player to ever make two All-American basketball teams and win two World Series, etc.