Goodwin Info

Ibruce

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

Cool. Just glanced at verbal commits and they didn't have any ranking info. Would 'late bloomer' or 'under the radar' be a better designation, perhaps?

Yes, I think that's fair. He didn't have many offers until this spring/summer. I think a lot of schools worried that he might play football. He also transferred from Madison Prep to Vashon; not sure if that made people hold off. But he delivered a state title in year one there. He's a load inside, no doubt. I still wonder if football is in the picture; he'd be a high-level recruit if he went that route.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

"As we said, when looking at how Goodwin's commitment went down, it proves that recruiting is fluid.  And while it can often lead to methods and strategies which could certainly be regarded by many as questionable, they are not illegal." - Bold quote after outlining a series of events that are in no way questionable. We hired a new assistant? We had someone attend all his AAU games this summer? Sounds to me like Illinois got outworked, not cheated. The implication is limp. They're mad at a HS kid for leading them on with positive quotes about Illinois and letting them down. What clowns. Those guys can eat .

Their website also looks to be 15+ years outdated.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

"As we said, when looking at how Goodwin's commitment went down, it proves that recruiting is fluid.  And while it can often lead to methods and strategies which could certainly be regarded by many as questionable, they are not illegal." - Bold quote after outlining a series of events that are in no way questionable. We hired a new assistant? We had someone attend all his AAU games this summer? Sounds to me like Illinois got outworked, not cheated. The implication is limp. They're mad at a HS kid for leading them on with positive quotes about Illinois and letting them down. What clowns. Those guys can eat .

They didn't point to one thing questionable in that article.

Belleville News Democrat

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article95320297.html

Final 2 - SLU and Northwestern 

my favorite quote, 

Ironically, Goodwin insisted he had a dream Tuesday that led him to choosing the Billikens.

“What really got me about SLU was I had a dream about it,” he said. “I was being chased by a Billiken. In my dream I was running and I went to the arena — and that’s when the Billiken finally caught me.

“I woke up and told my dad about it. We talked about it and he said if that’s what you want to do, do it.”

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Fluid? What would non-fluid, fixed recruiting look like, exactly? The first team to show interest gets some kind of dibs on every recruit?

3 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Fluid? What would non-fluid, fixed recruiting look like, exactly? The first team to show interest gets some kind of dibs on every recruit?

It makes no sense. They're grasping at straws. Probably not best to write an article in the immediate aftermath of such an event if you can't divorce your emotional response from your output.

2 hours ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Let us know what he says

I mentioned that I had read that Goodwin was quoted saying that SLU and NW were the 2 finalists, and then I asked if he had any thoughts on what got Illinois bounced. His response what that he didn't think that was the way it happened. I followed up by asking if he thought Illinois bailed, or if Goodwin was lying. His response? "Maybe both."

Pistol, I do not think the Illinis are grasping at straws, I think they are defending their own sense of reality. Situations like these when lots of people start manufacturing bogus reasons accounting for an outcome can be explained in a satisfactory manner as follows: When some outcome to a situation happens that you (you defined as a single observer of a situation with some skin in it) cannot in your wildest dreams be able to rationalize in a way that fits your preconceived notions of reality, then you may pin the "blame" for the outcome upon whatever comes to your mind that appears reasonable to you. This is done everywhere by a certain kind of people with certain kinds of preconceived notions about reality and a concrete way of thinking. There are lots of people that think and act this way. Many Illinis simply cannot grasp how in heavens Goodwin's choice for SLU could have happened. They cannot find a rational way to explain this outcome in a way that accommodates their own preconceived notions of what reality is all about. So, they go around dredging for anything that sounds "factually" reasonable to them like, foul play, money payments, etc... The sky is the limit for the "blame assigners," they just find out something that appears to be rational, in their own mind, as a way to explain an event's outcome and bingo!, there you have it. They have found the "cause" for the event. This is generally done because to think about the outcome in a more rational way will, in effect, force you as a person to recognize that some of your concepts of reality are wrong and need to change. Therefore, many Illinis are going to have a blast manufacturing "factual" dark reasons and conspiracy theories to explain why they did not get Goodwin. This is not uncommon, lots of people work this way. Whatever does not fit the way they think about reality has to be explained in a way that accommodates their concept of what reality is. Does this sound familiar?, it should.

In the final analysis Goodwin chose SLU for his own reasons. We will never know exactly what those reasons were. However,we can, and should be, happy that he chose SLU regardless of his reasons.

On 8/11/2016 at 5:12 PM, The Pelican said:

Goodwin is not the only one, too.  Look for a nice parlay in the short future. 

So when might we hear something on the "parlay"? Is it a local or national? We were connected with several pretty high caliber East Coast players a few months ago, but haven't heard anything in a while.

36 minutes ago, ACE said:

So when might we hear something on the "parlay"? Is it a local or national? We were connected with several pretty high caliber East Coast players a few months ago, but haven't heard anything in a while.

Both. Can't put an exact timeline but it's getting worked.