Goodwin Info

Ibruce

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the Tay and J show, on ESPN 93.5 in Champaign, segment 1 from yesterday.  Lots of Goodwin talk and here are some highlights:

- Think the main reason Goodwin would go to SLU is because he can be "the guy" here and have tons of playing time immediately and more wings at Illinois so he might not be there.

-  Call him a "culture changer".  Tilmon changes the perception of a program because he is 5 star, top 25 kid but Goodwin is a culture changer, a player that just doesn't want to lose and can bring that to the program.

-  Fault Illinois for not making any tournaments recently and even though Ford didn't have high success in tournament, he made them.

-  Feels close to a one step forward, 2 steps back with Tilmon and then losing Goodwin if Frank is right.  Thought Goodwin was a lock after Tilmon commitment.

- Had Derek Piper who covers Illinois recruiting illini inquirer and scout was on.  Illinois hasn't heard from Goodwin in couple weeks and Eagles coach Frazier said he hasn't talked to any coach over past couple weeks but Illinois might not be buying that.  

- Confused by why he would want to go to SLU when he could be the guy at Illinois and he's such a confident guy that he would feel that he could be the guy in any situation.  They feel he's a starter right away in Big 10 too.

-  Tilmon is very solid to Illinois.  Don't think this will change anything, he's very excited to go to Illinois.  This from Piper who talked to him but what Tilmon said about Goodwin was on the pay site. 

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Listened to the Tay and J show, on ESPN 93.5 in Champaign, segment 1 from yesterday.  Lots of Goodwin talk and here are some highlights:

- Think the main reason Goodwin would go to SLU is because he can be "the guy" here and have tons of playing time immediately and more wings at Illinois so he might not be there.

-  Call him a "culture changer".  Tilmon changes the perception of a program because he is 5 star, top 25 kid but Goodwin is a culture changer, a player that just doesn't want to lose and can bring that to the program.

-  Fault Illinois for not making any tournaments recently and even though Ford didn't have high success in tournament, he made them.

-  Feels close to a one step forward, 2 steps back with Tilmon and then losing Goodwin if Frank is right.  Thought Goodwin was a lock after Tilmon commitment.

- Had Derek Piper who covers Illinois recruiting illini inquirer and scout was on.  Illinois hasn't heard from Goodwin in couple weeks and Eagles coach Frazier said he hasn't talked to any coach over past couple weeks but Illinois might not be buying that.  

- Confused by why he would want to go to SLU when he could be the guy at Illinois and he's such a confident guy that he would feel that he could be the guy in any situation.  They feel he's a starter right away in Big 10 too.

-  Tilmon is very solid to Illinois.  Don't think this will change anything, he's very excited to go to Illinois.  This from Piper who talked to him but what Tilmon said about Goodwin was on the pay site. 

Illinois fans need to realize Illinois is not a world beater. It's not like he would be turning down a blue blood. 

I can't wait until Illini fans cite this post on their forum. Yes, Illinois is bigger than SLU. Yes, Dee Brown and Deron Williams were awesome. Congrats. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Illinois fans need to realize Illinois is not a world beater. It's not like he would be turning down a blue blood. 

I can't wait until Illini fans cite this post on their forum. Yes, Illinois is bigger than SLU. Yes, Dee Brown and Deron Williams were awesome. Congrats. 

To add to your point.  The players being recruited today were in first grade when Williams was with the Illini.  The fact that Williams went there means nothing to them.

Just a few thoughts:

-I really, really want to hear this decision sooner than later. Please let it be today. Please.

-Illinois fans and press are in full panic mode. That's been fun.

-Some Illinois fans have gone way too far on Twitter, tweeting directly at him. It's truly sad. His few replies have been hilarious, too.

-The argument that he's selling himself short, not giving himself enough competition or exposure or whatever - it's beyond stale. Let's take a quick look at the highest-scoring players in the NBA right now, and where they came from. In order: Davidson, Arizona State, Texas, Kentucky, high school, Weber State, Kentucky, UCLA, USC, Fresno State, Washington, Washington State, Syracuse, Villanova, San Diego State, Marquette, UConn, Lehigh, Kansas, Stanford. A few blue bloods, a few power conference schools that are decidedly not blue bloods, and a few schools that you'd never expect. Oh, and no Big Ten schools. Point is, if you're good, they'll find you. Arguably the two most exciting, unique young talents today are from Greece and Latvia. St. Louis is easy.

-Illinois has a coach on the hot seat. SLU has a coach who just started, has minimal pressure at this stage, and is building real excitement. It's also 2 hours closer to home. This wouldn't be a ridiculous decision by any stretch.

-The opportunity is arguably greater to turn a program around in the A10 more quickly than in the Big Ten. The playing field is more level, and a really talented player or two can make a bigger impact. Is finishing just above .500 in the Big Ten any better than finishing in the top 3 in the A10, in terms of NCAA Tournament chances? One great player can make a big impact anywhere, but with the transfers becoming eligible in 2017, a player like Goodwin could rocket this program from the bottom of the A10 to the top in a single season.

I know these aren't original thoughts, but Illinois fans are kidding themselves if they think he's making a poor decision here (yes, assuming he's about to do what we think and hope he's about to do).

Also, Goodwin LOVES Selena Gomez. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, could we possibly trade celebrity fan John Stamos for celebrity fan Selena Gomez?

Let's wrap this commitment up, people.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:13 PM, Cowboy said:

-where is pdiddy?

Also, Goodwin remembers a Top 10 SLU program in the not too distant past. When is the last time Illinois cracked the Top 10? The "winning" argument by Illini fans rings hollow.

The Illini fans talking about improper benefits ("thousands of dollars") are absolutely hilarious. Never in my life would I have thought SLU would be accused of paying players. That's how you know fans are bitter and jealous. 

Obviously I want Goodwin here at SLU but I would be very entertained reading the backtracking from Illini fans if he changed his mind and went to Illinois. The same fans that are attacking him, his family, and his future now were the same ones talking about he's the greatest thing ever just a week ago.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Also, Goodwin LOVES Selena Gomez. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, could we possibly trade celebrity fan John Stamos for celebrity fan Selena Gomez?

Let's wrap this commitment up, people.

Selena Gomez had a concert at Chaifetz a few years ago and the team got to meet her. True story.

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

The Illini fans talking about improper benefits ("thousands of dollars") are absolutely hilarious. Never in my life would I have thought SLU would be accused of paying players. That's how you know fans are bitter and jealous. 

Obviously I want Goodwin here at SLU but I would be very entertained reading the backtracking from Illini fans if he changed his mind and went to Illinois. The same fans that are attacking him, his family, and his future now were the same ones talking about he's the greatest thing ever just a week ago.

It is sad.  Illini fans have a really skewed view of their position in the college basketball pecking order.  They might actually be worse than Mizzou fans when it comes to that.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

To add to your point.  The players being recruited today were in first grade when Williams was with the Illini.  The fact that Williams went there means nothing to them.

Illinois really hasn't been anything special since Bill Self / the players Bill Self recruited left.  In the last 10 years (which goes back to the 4th year after Self - when likely majority of his recruits were gone), Illinois finished an average of 7th in the Big 10.  Even before Self Illinois was hardly a consistent top Big 10 team.  They only finished 1 or 2 in the Big 10 5 times in the 25 years under Henson & Kruger before Self.

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Illinois was the (correctly) accused program in one of the biggest pay-for-play scandals in NCAA basketball history. Memories are short - even though Bruce Pearl is still coaching.

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Selena Gomez had a concert at Chaifetz a few years ago and the team got to meet her. True story.

This is a story I sure hope Goodwin is aware of.

The Cult that is TX A&M lost a recruit due to Twitter backlash against another de-commitl.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/05/05/texas-am-aggies-recruit-decommitment-coach-tweet

I hope they keep it going and Tilmon bales too.  Would be a good get.  Goodwin is a really quality recruit too.  Besides the transfers we have coming in he's the highest rated guy we've had in a while.  Consensus top 60.  Nice 

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is sad.  Illini fans have a really skewed view of their position in the college basketball pecking order.  They might actually be worse than Mizzou fans when it comes to that.

No way. Even if it was a decade ago, Illinois at least has a Final Four to hang their hat on. All Mizzou fans have is their conference, which they still don't seem to have figured out was a step down in basketball.

Just now, BigMouthBilliken said:

Does anyone know when he's scheduled or planning to announce?

He said his birthday in October when he released his top 7 a few weeks ago but Frank said yesterday he heard it could be today or Monday.  Tate was hired at SLU after he released his top 7 so that could be the thing that locked up where he wanted to go.