Goodwin Info

Ibruce

Maybe Belleville, IL just loves the Billikens. We need that to spread across the river.

As far as Illinois, they are feeling really insecure right now and need to bash the program that is about to deal them a really tough blow (a program they see as below them makes it even worse, but the bigger concern for them is that a program like SLU might not be that much below them). If Groce fails this winter which is certainly a possibility, things will be really bleak in Champaign.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bauman I say he is closer to 6'2" than 6' 5".   However this is one of those rare kids that doesn't fit in the box.   Goodwin is probably the most ferocious rebounder I've ever seen.   He is extremely strong and athletic.  Granted His ball handling and outside shooting isn't special, but it is far better now than jordair was at any point as a billiken.  

The kid is a lion that just wins and dominates.    There have been plenty of under sized pf's that have succeeded because of their overwhelming efforts.   Think of Barkley or our own donnie Dobbs.  But honestly he is better all around than Dobbs.    This kid is for real.   And the list of suitors is proof of his ability.   You need to go see him play this winter.

3 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

This thread is increasingly shifting towards confidence we will land Goodwin. Tatum last year showed me to never be too excited until the words come out of the recruit's mouth. The expert predictions are nice, but I'm not sold yet.

There was also never truly positive momentum for Tatum and SLU (despite being a finalist). While from the very beginning there was some thought that Goodwin was high on SLU and now that we have a competent coach recruiting him, we may capitalize on that.

6 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Jerry Meyer is saying Goodwin to ILL. That said, that makes me feel better (Shaka to Marquette was his baby too).

After reading Meyer's comments on twitter after Ford was hired, it will probably take him seening the signed LOI before he switches his prediction.

5 hours ago, bauman said:

Guys, I.m really not trying to burst the Goodwin karma, but since I have never seen him play, I have a serious question.  If he is really 6'2" or even 6'3" he is clearly too small to play anything but the 1 or 2 spots.  I don't care how tough he is, he would get killed by 6'6"-6'8" #3s in the A-10.  So that makes him a 1 or a 2 if he is 6'3" or below.  What would make him a star at the PG or SG positions?  I have not heard any of you rave about his outside shot or his play making ability.  I have read about how he is a monster on the boards or inside, but doing that in HS vs doing that in the A-10 are two completely different things.

Which brings me back to my original point.  What role would he take at SLU?  A serious question for those of you that have seen him play.  Obviously, smart BB minds, including TF, are sure that the Goodwin hype is valid.

Goodwin's not a shooter but he is a bully who can pass. Jordair Jett had a lot of success in that role.

The recruitment of Jayson and Goodwin is an apples to oranges comparison. Jayson being pursued by hoops royalty and a stone cold one and doner. Mc D AA and member of USA world team. This type of recruit is typically out of SLU's league. See Beals and Lee.

Goodwin's resume, while a very good get for any program, does not compare to Jayson's. Primary competitors are BCS programs that are struggling to find their way. Way more realistic get for us. Still, he's a stretch for us given the lure of the BCS programs.

I always thought Tatum was a pipe dream once he took the in home w/ Coach K, who had just won a national championship. Coach K v Jim Crews, you want to drive a Ferrari or a used VW Passat for a year?  

2 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Isn't Cus usually wrong 

I don't know if he's usually wrong mainly because I don't recall him giving predictions.  He is biased so he will say SLU has a chance at certain things like getting Tatum or Bryce Drew but I don't know how often he will say something about good news.  The only thing I can think of was when they said SLU fans would like the Tatum news he had at 10 and it was more of the "SLU is a real option for me" stuff.  

2 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Isn't Cus usually wrong 

He seems to be in contact with a lot of local high school coaches. He also seems to have a good relationship with Ford. Not sure if college coaches tell media that they have a commitment coming, but it's off the record. Frank did claim to have the story about SLU hiring Tate a day before it broke, but sat on it because he was asked to do so.