Goodwin Info

Ibruce

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

After being at 100% for the Illini for over a year, the first recruiting expert at 247 switches their pick from the Illini to SLU for Jordan Goodwin.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jordan-Goodwin-at-Althoff-Catholic-145486/CurrentExpertPredictions

FWIW a second prediction for SLU early this morning, so the last two predictions have been SLU.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Jerry Meyer is saying Goodwin to ILL. That said, that makes me feel better (Shaka to Marquette was his baby too).

Jerry Meyer also said that Tatum to SLU was all smoke and Tatum's folks were simply leading on SLU. So, he got that part right. 

"

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Some of those picks were made months ago.  Something must be going on — or there's some recent news — that's leading some of these recruiting analysts to believe that Goodwin is leaning towards SLU.

I get that, but the guy made a fresh pick for Illinois earlier today and then switched it. Maybe he hit the wrong button or maybe he just noticed where it was trending and decided to jump on the SLU bandwagon.

BTW, I thought at one point Goodwin was listed at 6-4. Now, I see him listed at 6-2. I thought originally he was going to be an undersized 3, but based on his size, looks more like a 2 or 1?

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Some of those picks were made months ago.  Something must be going on — or there's some recent news — that's leading some of these recruiting analysts to believe that Goodwin is leaning towards SLU.

Agreed, definitely encouraging to see! It isn't just those on this message board hearing that there is positive momentum for Goodwin to SLU.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I get that, but the guy made a fresh pick for Illinois earlier today and then switched it. Maybe he hit the wrong button or maybe he just noticed where it was trending and decided to jump on the SLU bandwagon.

BTW, I thought at one point Goodwin was listed at 6-4. Now, I see him listed at 6-2. I thought originally he was going to be an undersized 3, but based on his size, looks more like a 2 or 1?

Guys, I.m really not trying to burst the Goodwin karma, but since I have never seen him play, I have a serious question.  If he is really 6'2" or even 6'3" he is clearly too small to play anything but the 1 or 2 spots.  I don't care how tough he is, he would get killed by 6'6"-6'8" #3s in the A-10.  So that makes him a 1 or a 2 if he is 6'3" or below.  What would make him a star at the PG or SG positions?  I have not heard any of you rave about his outside shot or his play making ability.  I have read about how he is a monster on the boards or inside, but doing that in HS vs doing that in the A-10 are two completely different things.

Which brings me back to my original point.  What role would he take at SLU?  A serious question for those of you that have seen him play.  Obviously, smart BB minds, including TF, are sure that the Goodwin hype is valid.

20 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Cusumano said that Ford is recruiting him as a PG. I have never seen him play, but from what I have read about him on the Illini message boards, he's an excellent passer and has improved his ball handling skills considerably over the last few years.

On his videos he has excellent court vision. Reportedly his outside shooting is improving. Just seems to have a nice all-around game.

44 minutes ago, ACE said:

Depends on where you look. ESPN and VerbalCommits say 6-4, 220. Scout has him at 6-4, 205. Rivals says 6-3, 210. 247Sports must be where you're looking; they say 6-2, 185.

Generally, I tend to believe the higher-end ones in terms of size. High school kids grow fast, and these recruiting sites don't update everyday. There are occasional reasons why someone's weight goes down (in Goodwin's case, maybe he goes smaller if he skips football this season - can someone confirm sources on that rumor, by the way?), but I tend to go with the highest height recommendation, and assume it's his measurement in shoes.

One notable player missing at Althoff’s practice was star senior receiver Jordan Goodwin.Goodwin has major Division I offers in basketball after helping lead Althoff to the Class 3A state championship last year. He also has several Division I football offers, including Iowa and New Mexico.

Turner was asked about Goodwin’s somewhat surprising absence on Monday.

“As of right now, the Goodwin family has decided he’s not going to play football,” Turner said. “As a player with that ability and that skill set, obviously you want him to play.”

41 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Cusumano said that Ford is recruiting him as a PG. I have never seen him play, but from what I have read about him on the Illini message boards, he's an excellent passer and has improved his ball handling skills considerably over the last few years.

I don't think he necessarily profiles as a point guard in the typical sense of that position, but in more of the hybrid point forward type minus having the height of a forward. Think Rose Jones if he ends up playing the point (or Denzel Valentine), solid all around game and athlete that made having him handle and distribute the ball the best option for the offense (you could go Jordair Jett maybe). With the Eagles that is kind of the position he played. They had limited scorers, so their offense was primarily just Goodwin attacking off of the bounce and either getting to the rim or finding open shooters. He handles the ball well for a kid who played a lot in the post and passes well, but I question whether playing him at point is the best fit, but a lot depends on his development (if he doesn't improve his outside shot maybe you want him in that Rose Jones role) and the roster around him. His primary strengths are his ability to rebound (just relentless) from the wing and get to the basket off of the bounce with his strength seemingly at will, so you don't want to negate those strengths. What Jordair did a lot his senior season is what I see in Goodwin, just relentless and essentially out manning guys. I am a big fan of this kid (just so competitive and tough) and am really curious to see how his game translates to the next level.

If he's actually 6'2" that makes his highlights almost more impressive. He can get up above the rim without much difficulty. I definitely see him as a combo guard moving forward. The Rosie Jones/Marcus Smart comps are pretty spot on. Excellent feel for the game and passing ability, solid yet unspectacular shooter, good but not exceptional ball handling, great rebounding, phenomenal strength and a world-class motor. I definitely think he has the chops to be our primary ballhandler, and that is probably his only route to the League - which he has to realize, given that he is probably 6'4" max. 

You would think from reading some of the Illini boards that we are one of the worst basketball programs ever and Ford is just an awful basketball coach.  In the last five years, which is really all the kids you are recruiting remember, SLU has been to two more NCAA tournaments than the Illini and have won two more NCAA games than the Illini.  In that same time period, Ford has gone to one more NCAA tournamnet than Groce.  Ford during his career has been the head coach of seven players that have played in the NBA and Groce has coached zero.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You would think from reading some of the Illini boards that we are one of the worst basketball programs ever and Ford is just an awful basketball coach.  In the last five years, which is really all the kids you are recruiting remember, SLU has been to two more NCAA tournaments than the Illini and have won two more NCAA games than the Illini.  In that same time period, Ford has gone to one more NCAA tournamnet than Groce.  Ford during his career has been the head coach of seven players that have played in the NBA and Groce has coached zero.

Well, they are concerned that we are about to steal one of their prized targets, so they are doing their best to trash their opponent.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Well, they are concerned that we are about to steal one of their prized targets, so they are doing their best to trash their opponent.

True, which is why I decided to trash their overrated program and their crappy coach who can't get talent to the NBA.  Our program's recent history is far better than the Illini's, Ford has shown to be able to make the NCAA tournament more consistently than Groce and Ford actually put players in the NBA.  Goodwin picking SLU should be a no brainer.

The story on Groce is that he is a good recruiter that doesn't turn the talent he brings in into wins.  He also doesn't turn that talent into NBA players.  Is there any better reason for a kid who might want to play in the NBA not to want to go there?