New Asst Coach

Ibruce

shame and sad story of Vincent Hart.

Lorenzo did start to make inroads into California, remember Ryan Hollins the 7 footer from Pasadena, signed with SLU, but after Lorenzo left , got his release and ended up at UCLA and later went on to the NBA.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Romar has recruited well at his alma mater, Washington, and in the PAC10 but to act like he was such at a great recruiter here at SLU is just not reality. And yes, Ryan Hollins made it to the NBA but he was not a dominant college player - especially earlier in his college career - and would not have been good enough to make up for the lack of a supporting cast.  And after 3 years at SLU, Romar should have had a deeper incoming class than Hollins and Nick Kern - especially after Pulley, Lattimer and Edwin were busts who left the program. Yes, West Pine Gym made things tougher... but then again, membership in Conf USA made recruiting easier than current member ship in A10.  Comparisons to Ford? especially so soon? Why?

Cameron Dollar and the scandal from UCLA?  I was not impressed.  Randy Bennett?  I didn't know or appreciate him at the time.  In hindsight, I would have rather had Bennett as our head coach.  Compared to Ford, I am very impressed with his coaching staff.  A10 ties and experience.  East Coast, Chicago and local/AAU connections.  I sure hope one of these guys (or Ford) can develop a game plan and make adjustments during games on the fly and also lands a few PG's along the way.  It's nice to have optimism about Billiken basketball again..  

As far as my  experience in the corporate world goes Clock, the capabilities of a boss/manager can be effectively increased and rounded up by assistants or subordinates who have the missing capabilities the boss lacks (or is less proficient in). This, of course, requires that the boss is capable to accept and appreciate the capabilities the assistants are bringing into the overall picture. Let's all hope that Ford, together with his assistant coaches, work out as a really winning combination for SLU. We will see for sure.

23 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Why stop there?  Fisher was unusual in that he had already signed a LOI with Pepperdine and Romar, had limited options after Romar announced we was leaving Pepperdine for SLU and, of course, followed Romar here to SLU.  Also, I believe Spoon had done the heavy lifting of recruiting Mo Jeffers but Romar deserves credit for re-recruiting him as well.  Romar does get credit for the players you mention but also gets blame for Jason Edwin, Andrew Latimer, Floyd McClain, Ross Varner, John Seyfert and Randy Pulley.  And let's not forget about his final recruiting class after 3 years on the job landing Nick Kern of Vashon whom everyone knew could not gain admission to SLU.

And how soon some forget about our best recruiter over these past 47 years -- Rick Majerus.

I agree 100 percent, Rick Majerus is SLU's best recruiter.  I like what coach Ford has done so far but I want to see the recruits play.  I will never forget the coach Majerus players that took SLU to all time highs.  It appears coach Ford is heading that direction.

12 hours ago, kshoe said:

It is 100% fact that Jeffers was committed to spoon in the fall of spoons final season. I get that memories fade but people shouldn't re-write history to suggest that the two best players under Romar weren't really spoon recruits.

There was a third recruit that fall named Hart (or something) from Indiana. He had issues outside of the coaching change and probably wouldn't have ended up on campus no matter what. Don't think he ever played D1.

Jeffers and perry were spoon recruits. Maybe they were "re-recruited" but that's a hell of a lot easier than getting them in the first place.

Correct. I remember Hart also. Lorenzo was a nice guy, but no reason to re-write history to make his brief tenure at SLU seem better. The Miracle in Memphis team was entirely Spoon's, with the exception of Andrew Latimer.  Romar's first two recruits were Latimer and Josh Fisher, who had to sit out the 99-00 season. Then Romar's next group of recruits were Jason Edwin, Chris Sloan and Floyd McClain. Then after that it was Ross Varner, Kenny Brown, Randy Pulley, and John Seyfert

• 2 months later...