New Asst Coach

Ibruce

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I remember the "young black local coach" proponents very well. Now there is an entire staff of black guys. 

Also, for the "He didn't recruit St. Louis very well" argument, didn't he start at Mizzou a year ago? How was he supposed to land Tatum at that point when it was already a two horse race? 

How was he supposed to recruit any St Louis kids after the mess that happened in Columbia last November?  Does anyone think Sneed or Cook were going to commit to anyone at Mizzou a couple of weeks after all of that stuff blew up?

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

As pointed out earlier in this thread, Tate worked with the big men at Mizzou.  Ryan Rosburg went from being a complete stiff for 3 1/2 seasons to averaging 10 points and 4 boards in conference play last season.  Kevin Puryear averaged 11 and 5 in conference play as a freshman.  Puryear wasn't a huge prospect coming out of high school.  Tate probably deserves some credit for their development

If there's one thing we need, it's someone to coach our bigs. So this gives me some encouragement. And certainly the local ties thing can't hurt either.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How was he supposed to recruit any St Louis kids after the mess that happened in Columbia last November?  Does anyone think Sneed or Cook were going to commit to anyone at Mizzou a couple of weeks after all of that stuff blew up?

Plus, by the time November rolled around, Cook and Sneed had already committed to Iowa and Kansas State.

Count me in the group that considers this a very good hire. Tate is a steal and I was really worried we would end up with someone with far less experience for that last spot.

While I definitely have concerns about the in-game coaching, I also don't really know enough about Macon or Bailey to have a fair opinion on that. It's something that has to be considered, for sure. But I don't see us as having enough info to really make a good judgement.

Excited to see us get some talented players and also look forward to seeing what types of game plans these coaches end up putting forth.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

As pointed out earlier in this thread, Tate worked with the big men at Mizzou.  Ryan Rosburg went from being a complete stiff for 3 1/2 seasons to averaging 10 points and 4 boards in conference play last season.  Kevin Puryear averaged 11 and 5 in conference play as a freshman.  Puryear wasn't a huge prospect coming out of high school.  Tate probably deserves some credit for their development

Wasn't Tate also a head coach in JUCO? And the DBO we just hired was a head coach in JUCO for about 8 years. Bailey is credited with developing guards. Ultimately the head coach has to be the x's and o's guy - I know that has been a knock on Ford in the past, but we'll see. I want a staff that can bring talent first and foremost. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If I'm a 15 year old local player with high major ability , I'm very excited about the young go-getters working at SLU right now. 

Absolutely.

Reading through the Mizzou fans' comments on Twitter, really the only knock is that he didn't deliver any big STL kids to Mizzou. But he was only there one season, so a lot of those kids had pretty well-formed opinions about Mizzou one way or the other by then. Plus, it's clearly a dysfunctional environment and the staff might not have much more time there. He had very little time and a very difficult sell to make. It was going to take another year or two at least before they started seeing major returns on the Tate hire.

The rest of the Mizzou fans' comments are basically acknowledging that he did the right thing for himself and his family, that it's probably a really nice hire for SLU, and that the programs' needles are pointed in opposite directions at the moment.

I know I've said it already but I love this hire.

Thank you Major!  I am so tired of the Board posters who assume that Ford can't coach.  His background argues for just the opposite.  Son of a coach, point guard good enough to lead the offense at SPUMAC and KY.  I am waiting for anyone to post any valid argument that he is a weak game coach without referring to OSU posters OPINIONS.  Let's stop assuming the worst and wait until we have a chance to watch him ourselves.  At least I bet he will have an inbounds play other than throwing the ball into the backcourt.  I actually saw one team score this year on an inbounds play-I didn't know (and neither did Crews) that you could do that.

15 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Wasn't Ford a life long gym rat & a great college player who ran the offense at Mizzou & Kentucky?  He should have some in game coaching skills.  Let's just watch for a few years

I agree. Especially after Crews was supposed to be be this celebrated X's and O's coach, and he couldn't draw up an inbounds play better than a baseball pass into the backcourt.

After the last 2 years, I'll roll the dice on Ford and his staff's recruiting abilities.

This is a solid hire. No doubt we are setup to recruit. I know the guys are working the local kids that need to be worked. You will see some local talent that is worth noting considering and committing to SLU in the near future. We have done a 180 in that department. 

5 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I am not trying to be a negative nancy but is anyone else concerned that all of our assistants seem to be recruiters first rather than have one Xs and Os guy?

Yes.  But I believe this is the new era of Billiken basketball under Travis Ford.

Spoon, and to a lesser extent Brad, outcoached the opposition.  We had to b/c the talent level was far less. Remember our kids running an offense to perfection, running set plays after key time outs, setting double and triple screens and working their butts off on defense while coaches like Larry Finch at Memphis would call his more athletic guys over to the bench (Anfernee Hardaway, etc) and say "Settle down" and "Play hard" but very little else?  Romar was not here long enough but he too was a good game coach -- just not as good as Spoon -- as we found ways to upset Cincy, Memphis and Marquette. Then, RM was the master surpassing even Spoon with us playing smart and running our offense to perfection.  The whole was far greater than the sum of the parts.  Aside from the really good RM teams, as long as I can remember, Billiken basketball has been about less athletic, over-achieving, disciplined guys (white and black) prevailing over bigger, taller, more talented and athletic players and teams.

I could be totally wrong about the Travis Ford era, and I hope I am, but I see us winning games under Travis Ford (after he has time to restock the team with his guys) with our size, talent and athletic ability but then losing some games when we get outcoached, make dumb mistakes and play less disciplined ball while losing to some over-achieving, disciplined guys/teams.

Let's see, Tanner B and the little $#!t we love to hate were the game coaches under Crews.  I'll take a chance on our two unknowns and a guy who was the HC at a good JUCO program as being many steps above what we had!

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.  But I believe this is the new era of Billiken basketball under Travis Ford.

Spoon, and to a lesser extent Brad, outcoached the opposition.  We had to b/c the talent level was far less. Remember our kids running an offense to perfection, running set plays after key time outs, setting double and triple screens and working their butts off on defense while coaches like Larry Finch at Memphis would call his more athletic guys over to the bench (Anfernee Hardaway, etc) and say "Settle down" and "Play hard" but very little else?  Romar was not here long enough but he too was a good game coach -- just not as good as Spoon -- as we found ways to upset Cincy, Memphis and Marquette. Then, RM was the master surpassing even Spoon with us playing smart and running our offense to perfection.  The whole was far greater than the sum of the parts.  Aside from the really good RM teams, as long as I can remember, Billiken basketball has been about less athletic, over-achieving, disciplined guys (white and black) prevailing over bigger, taller, more talented and athletic players and teams.

I could be totally wrong about the Travis Ford era, and I hope I am, but I see us winning games under Travis Ford (after he has time to restock the team with his guys) with our size, talent and athletic ability but then losing some games when we get outcoached, make dumb mistakes and play less disciplined ball while losing to some over-achieving, disciplined guys/teams.

And again, you have watched how many UMASS and OSU games and have enough basketball coaching knowledge to make those assumptions about us getting outcoached???  Give the "He can't coach $#!t" a rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Talk about negative nellies!

Banner day for Billiken basketball.

I would have never guessed we could steal a coach from Mizzou, much less a alum, much less a hotshot recruiter.

Tate was heavily recruited by Spoon back in the day.  Nearly chose to play for SLU.

This changes area perceptions of SLU basketball.  We will get into living rooms that we couldn't before.  

Travis Ford is batting 1.000 so far.  I had my doubts about the hire and he is proving me wrong at every turn.

7 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

I would disagree with this on the game coaching but even more importantly there is more than recruiting and game coaching.  You need "player development" coaching skills.  I am sure everyone of the coaches including Ford can do some of this but I am at least a little worried.

It is interesting that Tifft is considered a recruiting first type of coach as well.

Ford can recruit Washington as well:

Can "lemme slap eem!" Become a thing here?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/tate-moves-from-mizzou-to-slu/article_65271a5b-38cb-5746-a437-3305142916e0.html

I like the hire makes sense. Being a good recruit doesn't preclude one from being a good game coach